Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Do developers hire planners

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2006

Do developers hire planners

I was just wondering do devlopers hire planners? If so what jobs do the planners working for developers do? Sorry for asking so much

Registered
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Future_Planner
    I was just wondering do devlopers hire planners? If so what jobs do the planners working for developers do? Sorry for asking so much
    They certainly do in the UK. Attempting to secure planning permission for large developments can be very complex and developers will pay a premium for good planners who can secure permissions. Even smaller developers employ planners, mainly as consultants, but there is definately a market over here.

Registered
    Feb 2006
    I'm not sure where I am...or where I want to be
    Quote Originally posted by UKPlanner
    They certainly do in the UK. Attempting to secure planning permission for large developments can be very complex and developers will pay a premium for good planners who can secure permissions. Even smaller developers employ planners, mainly as consultants, but there is definately a market over here.
    Yes, in the US too, developers may hire planners to manage projects through the approval process. I also know a planner who does the same thing for a real estate attorney. Most project managers for developers have solid financial project feasibility knowledge, so add some finance or real estate classes to your classload.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Yes, they do and you usually get a better salary

But after living through a recession in Boston, I watched alot of those planners that I knew get laid off at the first sign of the recession - so those positions are usually the first to go when there's trouble.

From an economic cycle perspective, it's actually a good indicator that a recession is coming, when you see the planners being let go in the large development companies

basically, it's considered overhead, or fluff positions

I'm not saying don't do it - because you do learn a lot - I worked at one for a year, filling in for someone on a maternity leave - you understand better what it's like to do feasibility studies and due diligence and the risks they take - but just understand that position may in reality be a step to something else for you - it's a good resume builder for sure

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2004
    Ditto everyone else.

It's sometimes known as working for the Dark Side

Registered
    Jan 2006
    Developrs lure planners to the dark side once they have enough experieince to know their way through the approval process.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2002
    planners are a perfect fit for the right development job. project/approval management is where I think planners are best utilized.

i am a planner in a perfect development job.

I love the dark side crap. If it was not for developers there would be NO Planing jobs anywhere! Oh, and no houses or places to shop or work.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by TOFB
    Developrs lure planners to the dark side once they have enough experieince to know their way through the approval process.
    Exactly. I did a stint with a national home builder. They sucked the soul out of me and left the carcass to rot.

BANNED
    Registered
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Future_Planner
    That question reminds me of a quote:

”Neither planners or developers plan America; bureaucrats and bankers do.” (JAPA, Autumn 1990 , p.498) …”the financial community follows a herd instinct bankers will not finance new concepts; they depend on developers to initiate the projects and to assume the risks.” (ibid. p.498-9). Developers and planners need each other as never before. (ibid. p. 499)

bud...

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Chet
    Exactly. I did a stint with a national home builder. They sucked the soul out of me and left the carcass to rot.
    It feels so good though.

I have been a planner in private development for about 8 years now. It has ups and downs but I have enjoyed much of it. The most mind numbing work I did was as a consultant for a big box, but it was really about their process and protos (anyone who has done this knows) than the actual planning. I now work mostly for a varied group of developers and zoning attorneys. Every project is different and I enjoy it.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2004
    I work for a non-profit affordable housing developer and we have two planners on staff (including me) and we basically handle everything, not just entitelments like you would for a nat'l home builder. . .

no one will tell you you work for the dark side. . . and you definately don't get paid any better than the public sector. . .

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Aside from the approval process, planners can be effective communicators and have a better understanding of community matters than anyone on a developers staff and I think that's why developers are hiring more planners.

Registered
    Nov 2004
    *sorry to resurrect such an old thread*

Do they hire fresh grads? And where can I start looking for such a job? Advice appreciated.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Yes, they do, but it's mostly entry level permitting jobs. They pay isn't great at entry level, but a national firm may look at you and slot you in permitting or even a research position.

Check out the Kiosk. Not all positions there are public sector - and my company is hiring some entry level. There's a position at WD Partners you should check out.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally posted by silentvoice
    *sorry to resurrect such an old thread*

Do they hire fresh grads? And where can I start looking for such a job? Advice appreciated.
    Yes, but they are mostly "lot crunchers" peeps who run different scenarios/layouts to come up w/ maximum lot yield.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Paul Zucker: don't hire unemployed planners?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 26
    Last post: 01 Mar 2010, 9:13 AM
  2. Marketing Planners as Economic Developers
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 26 Jun 2009, 10:00 AM
  3. Developers with planners on staff?
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 03 Oct 2008, 6:09 AM
  4. Planners as developers?