Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Night Meetings & Spouses/Kids (Split from Random Thoughts)

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005

waah

I got in a bad fight with hubby this mornign about my work schedule and such so I'm feeling sorry for myself today -

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian
    I got in a bad fight with hubby this mornign about my work schedule and such so I'm feeling sorry for myself today -
    I hear you. I'm in the doghouse (again) for the Council meeting running later than expected last night, and for the number of meetings I have this month....
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by NHPlanner
    I hear you. I'm in the doghouse (again) for the Council meeting running later than expected last night, and for the number of meetings I have this month....
    I know I've got it coming this week too... I can just feel it...

Monday - grad school
    Tuesday - Planning and Zoning
    Wednesday - Water Planning Comm.
    Thursday - Flood Comm.

It's like a perfect storm for me. Better plan something this weekend to make up for it.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman
    It's like a perfect storm for me.
    That is a great line - gave me the laugh I needed

You'd think after almost 19 years of marriage I wouldn't let a dispute get to me -

Registered
    Mar 2004

He he he.....

NO NIGHT meetings for me now.....snicker....he he he.....(THE ONE rubbing it in)
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman
    I know I've got it coming this week too... I can just feel it...

Monday - grad school
    Tuesday - Planning and Zoning
    Wednesday - Water Planning Comm.
    Thursday - Flood Comm.

It's like a perfect storm for me. Better plan something this weekend to make up for it.
    OK, the fit has officially hit the shan. Things were definitely a little icy when I left for work today with a comment about how many hours I'm working this week. I hope like hell this meeting is short and I get home in time for dinner.

The make-up plan is on the drawing board. I think I'll take off on Friday and surprise her at work with lunch. Maybe that will get me back in her good graces...

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    RE: spouses/sig. others complaining about night meetings.

I am having trouble understanding why the spouse/significant other of a mid to upper level planner would complain about number/length of night meetings. I think they should not be complaining, and most assuredly should not get mad at the planner, because it's an inseparable part of the job. It should be accepted and certainly not blamed on the planner, blame the stupid long winded officials.

Maybe, I'm lucky, but my wife understands that I have night meetings as part of my job and that they can run long. She doesn't get mad with me, because she knows it's not my fault, and just wants me to call when I am leaving for home.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman

I am having trouble understanding why the spouse/significant other of a mid to upper level planner would complain about number/length of night meetings. I think they should not be complaining, and most assuredly should not get mad at the planner, because it's an inseparable part of the job. It should be accepted and certainly not blamed on the planner, blame the stupid long winded officials.

Maybe, I'm lucky, but my wife understands that I have night meetings as part of my job and that they can run long. She doesn't get mad with me, because she knows it's not my fault, and just wants me to call when I am leaving for home.
    I totally agree, my EX knows now that this is part of my job and still helps out in order for me to do what I have to at work. When we were married he rarely if ever complained about my number of meetings. I know I would never complain if my SO had a job that he had night meetings/travel/etc...its part of the job

Wait till you have kids. Everything was honky-dory with Mrs. G and me until we had children. Then I transmogrified into The Idiot Meeting Attendant Being Exploited by The Man For No Good Reason and No Extra Cash or Comp Time to Show For It.

She usually berated me with this as she was headed out the door for a three-night business trip.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Jun 2003

She usually doesn't mind, but it was three nights in a row this week that set her off a little. It's hard enough for me because two of those committees I listed I believe are completely unnecessary and a total waste of space.

On another note...
    I'm leaving my current job for another City, which is bad for the current because I was the only planner. However, I just realized that they have a second problem--I'm also the IT guy. I've got to get someone else trained on all of the systems and website administration now too. Luckily, the permit clerk is tech-friendly and has at least some general network & web knowledge.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker
    Wait till you have kids. Everything was honky-dory with Mrs. G and me until we had children. Then I transmogrified into The Idiot Meeting Attendant Being Exploited by The Man For No Good Reason and No Extra Cash or Comp Time to Show For It.

She usually berated me with this as she was headed out the door for a three-night business trip.
    There you have it. Night meetings were not an issue until we had our son.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    There you have it. Night meetings were not an issue until we had our son.
    Jumping on the night meetings and kids bandwagon. I used to attend one or two meetings per week (as a concerned citizen ). Since the girls were born, I'm doing good to make the regular council meetings.

Registered
    Feb 2006
    I'm not sure where I am...or where I want to be

Night meetings are necessary to give working citizens the chance to attend meetings.

But I don't like the overall american attitude that expects SO MUCH overtime. A 40-hour work week is considered slacking. A little overtime here and there is reasonable, but Something's wrong when society expects regular working folk to put their job ahead of their family so much.

Registered
    Dec 2003

I agree that it changed when we had our son. It seemed that the number of meetings and length of said meetings had increased. I never asked to be a part time single parent and I knew going into this that meetings were a requirement. My job as a mother doesn't end at 5pm or even 10pm, so yes, I do deserve to complain when my son has been crying/whining all day, the dishes are still piled in the sink, toys have multiplied on the floor, and my husband is yet again at a meeting showing no sympathy for the hard day I just went through and will repeat again in the morning.

Stepping off the soapbox.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Is it me, or did it suddenly get really cold in here?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Da Boss (split from Random Thoughts)
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 33
    Last post: 25 Sep 2009, 3:18 PM
  2. Replies: 18
    Last post: 23 Jan 2009, 10:40 AM
  3. Replies: 18
    Last post: 30 Nov 2007, 10:13 PM
  4. Replies: 29
    Last post: 03 Feb 2006, 8:35 PM