This weekend I finished one of the home improvement projects I have been working on for some time. Back in December I got tired of looking at the plaster surrounding my fireplace and the nook for the television. I decided to build a new mantle.
The design was inspired by the blue tile I picked up at Lowes. It filled the vertical dimension perfectly, but there would be a gap on the horizontal sections. I filled this in with two black strips. I also used black to frame the entire tile area. Since the tile was two inches out from the face of the fireplace, I used a black bullnose tile to frame the inside as well. I continued the two vertical strips through the wood in the base and mantle, and repeated this in the television nook to the left.
Finishing this project was important, as my realtor is holding an open house today. Yes, that sucks. As I am getting the place comfortable I am moving. I may not sell, but rent the place out instead. Here's a final shot. By the way, the stuff on the mantle and the picture are not what I would normally have there. I have (I hope) better taste, but I did not want to leave my favorite artwork out with people constantly walking through.