Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Home Improvements

Registered
    Aug 2001

Home Improvements

This weekend I finished one of the home improvement projects I have been working on for some time. Back in December I got tired of looking at the plaster surrounding my fireplace and the nook for the television. I decided to build a new mantle.

The design was inspired by the blue tile I picked up at Lowes. It filled the vertical dimension perfectly, but there would be a gap on the horizontal sections. I filled this in with two black strips. I also used black to frame the entire tile area. Since the tile was two inches out from the face of the fireplace, I used a black bullnose tile to frame the inside as well. I continued the two vertical strips through the wood in the base and mantle, and repeated this in the television nook to the left.

Finishing this project was important, as my realtor is holding an open house today. Yes, that sucks. As I am getting the place comfortable I am moving. I may not sell, but rent the place out instead. Here's a final shot. By the way, the stuff on the mantle and the picture are not what I would normally have there. I have (I hope) better taste, but I did not want to leave my favorite artwork out with people constantly walking through.

Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal
    Finishing this project was important, as my realtor is holding an open house today. Yes, that sucks. As I am getting the place comfortable I am moving. I may not sell, but rent the place out instead.
    Nice work Cardinal. The tile color goes well with the wood finish. One word: SOLD!

Good luck with the open house today.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Nice work! I have never attempted tile work (actually, nothing more complex than painting....). Are you self-taught?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    Nice work. Did you take a before picture?

Registered
    Dec 2005
    The mantle is very pretty - I love the combination of light blue tile and dark wood.

I wanted to share our experience with granite tile - we just redid our kitchen cabinets and wanted solid granite countertops but decided to go with the tile instead. It cut the cost to less than a quarter ($500 total materials as opposed to $2000 for just the granite slabs) and they look great! We used large 36" and 24" tiles and a hardwood trim to cover the edges.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Have you been watching HGTV and DIY again?

I am very impressed. I wish I could do something like that with my apartment… but it looks like sometime between this October and next summer I will have the opportunity with a house!
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Feb 2006
    I'm not sure where I am...or where I want to be
    Quote Originally posted by Planner Hottie
    I wanted to share our experience with granite tile - we just redid our kitchen cabinets and wanted solid granite countertops but decided to go with the tile instead. It cut the cost to less than a quarter ($500 total materials as opposed to $2000 for just the granite slabs) and they look great! We used large 36" and 24" tiles and a hardwood trim to cover the edges.
    I'd love to see pics, your's or a company's example photos. We're still finishing the upstairs bathroom, but eventually we'll get to the kitchen, and a new countertop is my dream!

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally posted by CosmicMojo
    I'd love to see pics, your's or a company's example photos. We're still finishing the upstairs bathroom, but eventually we'll get to the kitchen, and a new countertop is my dream!
    I will take pictures when the dust settles.

Registered
    Feb 2006
    I will take pictures when the dust settles.
    I googled 'granite tile countertop' and could only find one example pic.
    I must say I'm excited to learn about granite tiles, I"ve seen ceramic tiles before, but not granite.
    Once I find a new job, we're on our way to Newkitchenville!

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Here is one site:

http://www.rd.com/content/openConten...ontentId=17870

There is very little on the web about granite tile counters - I looked at this just to make sure we were on the right track. My husband had just done the floor so it was about the same process. I have to say that ours looks a lot better than the example on the website - we used a black granite with some speckling called "Uba Tuba."

Registered
    Feb 2006
    That's a great site, thanks. I'll show it to my husband (the handy one in our household). Oh, I'll dream pretty tonight!
    (good thing, I've been having nightmares ...but that's another thread)
    Last edited by CosmicMojo; 20 Mar 2006 at 4:31 PM.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by savemattoon
    Nice work. Did you take a before picture?
    A before photo...

Anyone want to adopt a dog?

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Great job Cardinal, it looks great, the entire house looks great actually!!

Registered
    Jan 2005
    The workmanship looks good and so does the tiling, though personally I'd have chosen a darker wood and a shade darker olive/green wall paint.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Oh Yeah! that looks so much different, love that sagey green and nice way to trim it out!

YOur TV is undersized I see!

I say sold in 30 days!

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Looks good, Cardinal!!!

I hope my wife doesn't open up this thread. She'll want me to jump into some new project. If she does, I will seek you out.

Nice work.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001

Bump

Rather than start a new thread--anyone know how to fix horizontal blinds? The cord fasteners broke on one of mine. The separation happened in the part that connects under the window header. Would an image help to describe? Thanks.

EDIT: a couple of pix.

Last edited by Richmond Jake; 18 Sep 2006 at 7:15 PM.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Off-topic:
    Wow, you guys must have been playing rough over the weekend

Cough I built a deck over Labor Day weekend cough
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by Rumpy Tunanator View post
    Off-topic:
    Wow, you guys must have been playing rough over the weekend

Cough I built a deck over Labor Day weekend cough
    Good grief, it's in an extra bedroom. Didn't you and Budgie stay there last?

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    Rather than start a new thread--anyone know how to fix horizontal blinds? The cord fasteners broke on one of mine. The separation happened in the part that connects under the window header. Would an image help to describe? Thanks.
    IMO, I say kill the mini-blinds and put up some curtains - curtains are much easier to use, don't break as easily, are easier to install, and 100 times easier to clean.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman View post
    IMO, I say kill the mini-blinds and put up some curtains - curtains are much easier to use, don't break as easily, are easier to install, and 100 times easier to clean.
    It would look funny, he's got the plantation blinds on all the other windows in the house!

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    It would look funny, he's got the plantation blinds on all the other windows in the house!
    Granted, but I, personally, would then trash them all, but that's my opinion.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Nov 2003
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman View post
    Granted, but I, personally, would then trash them all, but that's my opinion.
    Personally, I don't like curtains. They look to 'old-fashioned' for me. My wife bough some individual curtains for our 2 windows in the living room. The windows are nearly 4' in width and 6' feet length so custom blinds was must. My MIL comes in town for July 4 and they go out and buy curtains. They look strange because the windsows are so far apart. But I lost that argument.
    I am recognizing that the voice inside my head
    is urging me to be myself but never follow someone else
    Because opinions are like voices we all have a different kind". --Q-Tip

Registered
    Aug 2001
    arent mini blinds super cheap? replace them. I hate the dust that accumulates on blinds, they are not easy to clean. Ive just had pleated shades hung in our new upstairs addition, from Hunter Douglas, top down bottom up cordless shades. No more tugging on cords or having long cords flying in the breeze or entangling the cat (when we had a cat).

And I hated my bedroom closet doors, ugly hollow things that kept sliding off track, then I put the hole in one with the phone so off they came, rippped up the track and hung curtains, silk red ones from the Company Store now I want a small chandeleir for the ceiling light and that room (now an antechamber to the new master bedroom)is transformed into a lounge/boudoir!

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    We picked up some rather nice real wood blinds at Lowes. They have several sizes so they should be able to help you. (as long as you do not bust into flames when you walk into a big box retailer)

Well since my past post in this thread I have:
    Removed Walls
    Installed outlets
    Installed Lights & Switches
    Installed a bathtub
    Installed a kitchen sink
    Installed a dishwasher
    Installed Kitchen Cabinets
    Built new walls
    Installed a ceiling fan
    Tiled a bathroom floor
    Tiled a bath surround