Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Home Improvements

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I like the look of wood blinds, but they are heavy! Raising the wood blinds in my daughters room last week and they pulled right out of the header over her window. I must've pulled at an odd angle or something but out they came screws and all.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I am not too handy around the house although I have done some little stuff. Today for the first time, my son and I installed an 84" cafe rod and hung new curtains. RJ installed some matchstick blinds for me last week but the ones I had picked were a little too see-through so I got some cotton tab-tops to soften the view. They look good! Now I have to do the other window in the room!

Hopefully next weekend we can take down the horrible verticals in the family room and put up something nice, although I think the walls there are concrete block; may be a bit more difficult. And I have maybe 30 feet of windows in that room.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    Hopefully next weekend we can take down the horrible verticals in the family room and put up something nice, although I think the walls there are concrete block; may be a bit more difficult. And I have maybe 30 feet of windows in that room.
    Here is a possible solution

1) Run a 1 inch x2 inch molding(mdf) or strapping of a good quality(hardwood that can be finished) around the room at the hieght where you want to hang the blinds.

2) To do this, predrill holes in the wood and into the concrete block, then use concrete nails or screws and finally use construction adhesive on the wood and in the holes.

3)Use the wood to drill into for the supports for the curtains. the reason this is better than trying to drill right into the concrete block is that it is easier to repair or realign holes in the wood then holes in block. Plus by predrilling, the holes are smaller and less likely to cause cracked block.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I am not too handy around the house although I have done some little stuff. Today for the first time, my son and I installed an 84" cafe rod and hung new curtains. ....
    I've seen the image. Ya'll did a great job! Don't you own an iron? I would have ironed the drapes before hanging them. But that's just me....

Hmmmmmm. An idea for a birthday present just popped into this simple mind.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    I've seen the image. Ya'll did a great job! Don't you own an iron? I would have ironed the drapes before hanging them. But that's just me....

Hmmmmmm. An idea for a birthday present just popped into this simple mind.
    I OWN an iron. I just wanted to get another layer between me and feeling "exposed". They will eventually drape out and the creases will disappear....

EDIT: p.s. "Picky, picky, picky...."
    Last edited by Zoning Goddess; 30 Dec 2006 at 7:23 PM. Reason: p.s.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Getting a new roof put on my house next week. The old one is 16 years old. This new one costs over $5000 more than the one 16 years ago. We'lll be ready for hurricane season next year. Next expense is a new garage door.
    You darn tootin', I like fig newtons!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by donk View post
    Here is a possible solution

1) Run a 1 inch x2 inch molding(mdf) or strapping of a good quality(hardwood that can be finished) around the room at the hieght where you want to hang the blinds.

2) To do this, predrill holes in the wood and into the concrete block, then use concrete nails or screws and finally use construction adhesive on the wood and in the holes.

3)Use the wood to drill into for the supports for the curtains. the reason this is better than trying to drill right into the concrete block is that it is easier to repair or realign holes in the wood then holes in block. Plus by predrilling, the holes are smaller and less likely to cause cracked block.
    Copper pipe also makes a good, inexpensive curtain rod. The 1/2 inch pipe fits the standard metal curtain rod hangers you can buy for about three bucks. Expect to use one every four feet. The pipes can be linked with connectors, and put caps on the end to finish them. I spray painted mine with a copper finish, which I also used on all of the switchplates and outlet covers.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by sisterceleste View post
    Next expense is a new garage door.
    This Bear spent more than 25 years in management at a manufacturer of garage doors. Just so you know.....

Almost all garage doors used to be wood. They were manufactured with wood from the Pacific Northwest (USA and Canada) that was called "vertical grain clear". As the wood became tougher to find (and environmentalist factions grew stronger) the industry tried what is called "finger-joining". This method proved not suitable for the longer lengths needed for 2-car garages.

In the 1970's, fiiberglass sheeting (attached to extruded aluminum rails) became a prominent choice for garage doors. These doors were lighter in weight than wood doors, requiring less steel struts (across the interior face of each section) and less spring wire (to lift the door). Fiberglass sheeting from that time period, though, had significant UV fading problems.

The 1980's ushered-in steel doors, usually roll-formed (on a big machine) or stamped (through a big press). Many companies, including the company I was associated with, began to insulate these steel doors.....usually by creating a "sandwich" type section.

Important to note: In colder climates, a non-insulated door on a garage that is attached to the house has the equivalent of a 10-inch hole.

Lesson is over.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I sure hope the idiots at the waste management company are correct. They told me to put my old sectional couch out tomorrow for my regular collection day. Usually they schedule a different day from my usual garbage pick-up for furniture/appliances. And it just rained. That thing will be way heavy. Just making way for furniture movement and turning the living room into a computer room. Right now, I have 2 computer desks, a rack for 2 bikes, and a bookcase in a 10x10 room, with the kitty litter closet in here. Yuck.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    I am a new home owner, so I have "just a few" projects to bring the house out of the 1980's.

Need new floor, wallpaper, range and cabinets refinished in the kitchen.
    Put in tile in the master bath (rip out linoleum and carpet).
    Paint a couple of the bedrooms.
    New carpet - but this is a long-range plan.
    Landscaping - our house has none in the front.

Anyone have some suggestions on the best way to tile the bathroom?
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Salmissra View post

Anyone have some suggestions on the best way to tile the bathroom?
    have someone else do it.

will you just be tiling the bathroom floor? it is a bit space or a smaller space? putting the tile on the diagonal makes small spaces seem bigger.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Aug 2001

its called the 5, 10, 15 year HIP

again with the spackle and drywall patching!

this time in the master bedroom. I mean the dust has just settled from the last project, Im happy. I dont need a separate bath in the master. Just wait he says your daughters are preteens,

The plans are to apartmentalize the back bedrooms for total noise control and privacy. opening up a loft in the ceiling for one room, with both rooms sharing 1 bathr.adding small master bath in owners suite. ANd there's the deck we have to finish. Have the old lumber from the last deck. The boards are nicely grey and smooth, Need landscaping, shrubs and small trees, of course annuals in the summer and alway need more tubers and bulbs. See what else, landscape stone on the cement block foundation and chimney. Thinking on cobblestone or stamped concrete for the dirt rock driveway, also a side walk and bamboo fencing along the side. Love those decks so how about a new garage level back deck withh separate entrance to garage.

Then the yard toys, the bigger better play gym and slide to zip lines between the pines and kinetic water sculptures to boot. we'll git r all the way done.

and then we'll move.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    The kid and I just hung new rods, drapes, and blinds in his room. There went 1.5 hours of my life! Hey RJ, you're off the hook for that this weekend! (Maybe we could start stripping wallpaper instead??? )

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I am disappointed in Home Depot. A few weeks ago, they had in their weekly ad tin and copper tiles for kitchen walls, or tin-look ceilings. I went in today and they'd been "discontinued".. Huh? After 2-3 weeks??? That's just what I wanted for my kitchen backsplash. But, I think I've found what I want online, and cheaper to boot!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    When I was installing the new wall paper trim yesterday, I accidentally detached some molding from the top of my cabinets (stopping myself from falling off the kitchen counters ). I bought some Gorilla Glue this morning to reattach the molding. But it's really frustrating. I can't stand there and hold the freaking molding to the cabinets until the glue sets. Anybody know how to reattach the crown shaped molding without drilling holes?
    RJ is the KING of . The One

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    When I was installing the new wall paper trim yesterday, I accidentally detached some molding from the top of my cabinets (stopping myself from falling off the kitchen counters ). I bought some Gorilla Glue this morning to reattach the molding. But it's really frustrating. I can't stand there and hold the freaking molding to the cabinets until the glue sets. Anybody know how to reattach the crown shaped molding without drilling holes?
    Duct tape

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by savemattoon View post
    Duct tape
    You're a genius. I'm back up on the ladder. Thanks.

EDIT: Hey, it worked!!!! Thanks, savematton!!!!!

BTW, we west coast Hollywood types call it "gaffers tape."
    Last edited by Richmond Jake; 20 Mar 2007 at 6:06 AM.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    WD-40 to loosen it up, Duct tape to make it stick. No tool box is complete without either.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I've fallen behind schedule. No energy today. I'll get the kid to scrape a couple wallpaper panels tonight but that will be it.

I can't find anything that takes this crap off easily. Granted, this wallpaper is probably 40 years old! Anybody know of a really good wallpaper remover?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Keep saying, “stripping.” I have this view in my mind’s eye.

I know: There they go again.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Keep saying, “stripping.” I have this view in my mind’s eye.

I know: There they go again.
    Funny guy. You spent the last 2 hours on a step stool stripping kitchen wallpaper?? This sucks. (NO jokes, please.....)

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Funny guy. You spent the last 2 hours on a step stool stripping kitchen wallpaper?? This sucks. (NO jokes, please.....)
    Off-topic:
    Are you high jacking this thread, too? har...har...har...

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Off-topic:
    Are you high jacking this thread, too? har...har...har...
    You're channeling TO and it's scaring me!!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by savemattoon View post
    WD-40 to loosen it up, Duct tape to make it stick. No tool box is complete without either.
    I must bite my tongue. Must bite my tongue and not respond.....

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I must bite my tongue. Must bite my tongue and not respond.....
    If you have more than 3 oz of WD-40 and it's not in a quart bag next time you fly, well... And why carry duct tape?? Oh, never mind...

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Planning improvements
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 22 Oct 2011, 1:10 PM
  2. Improvements for commercial corridors
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 01 Feb 2008, 9:25 AM
  3. Replies: 13