Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Home Improvements

Registered
    Jan 2007
    I have not had much luck with "almost a match" paint color services. The only exception would be one of those small local paint stores that carries a higher end paint and has helpful staff. They seem to enjoy the challenge of trying to match a color perfectly.

I recently had the joy of picking colors for my addition. It was such a headache. The little sample bottles of paint ended up being my best friend. Hubby and I thought we had really accomplished something once we got the room painted. We forgot about what a pain in the butt trim is to paint!

We have been working on our remodel/addition for the past 4 months or so. Of course, since we are trying to do as much ourselves as possible we are terribly behind.

Here is the before and almost after pic of the exterior. EDIT - well, maybe not. Anyway, here is the before pic.

Last edited by graciela; 12 Oct 2007 at 7:37 AM. Reason: oops
    Responsible Beverage Server since March 26th, 2008

Registered
    Nov 2003
    Is there a sealant that can work on plaster? Please help.
    I am recognizing that the voice inside my head
    is urging me to be myself but never follow someone else
    Because opinions are like voices we all have a different kind". --Q-Tip

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Quote Originally posted by the north omaha star View post
    Is there a sealant that can work on plaster? Please help.
    We used something called "Ducksback" or something like that - the guy at the paint store recommended it and we used it in our shower stall (long story not worth repeating) and it worked great. In the nine years in that house, we reapplied it twice just for good measure.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Ever since I moved into this house, I've wanted something to hang something over teh bed. This is what we ageed on...hung today. (OK, so I left work early today. You got a problem with that?)

More home improvements on teh way.
    RJ is the KING of . The One

Registered
    Jan 2007
    RJ - I like your cozy cafe scene! Very nice.

items remaining my home improvement project:

-stain trim in kitchen.
    -paint the dining room.
    -stain and apply urethane to 4 interior doors
    -install hardware for new interior doors.
    -refinish hardwood floors in the old portion of the house (arguing with my DH about DIY vs hiring a pro. It has been 3 months since we have been ready for this portion of the project!
    -Find something nice to hang on the walls.
    -tear down the old well house.
    -landscape the yard.
    Responsible Beverage Server since March 26th, 2008

Registered
    Aug 2005
    i don't even know where to start for my home improvement projects. i haven't even had the motivation to start the list. needless to say we purchased a house in Nov. 07 that is in good condition but needs updating - just ask our mushroom wallpaper in the kitchen. but retro is in, right?

how about things we've accomplished:

1. installed gate for backyard
    2. purchased and installed new light fixture for dining room.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    I sledge-hammered the rear walkway on Sunday and plan to do the same with the front on Saturday. The back one did not line up with the door and the front is more of a horribly uneven "patio" that we would never use. I plan to replace it with a planting bed. I will also be grinding stumps in the backyard in preparation of leveling the whole thing and planting some centipeded and st. augustine grass seed this spring.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Well, the basement is almost done.

About two months ago, the cheap plastic water supply line feeding the kitchen sink, probably installed by the previous owners, burst in the middle of the night. When I woke up, the kitchen was soaked, and the basement flooded.

State Farm covered it all. Highly recommended; I've been a customer for life, and they've never let me down.

After the water drained away, many of the original 1950s-era tiles in the basement floor were cracked and loose. The flooring contractor took one to a lab, and the result ... asbestos. So, a few weeks ago, an asbestos removal crew came to my house, and peeled up all the old tiles. After cleanup, I repainted the cinder block walls from white to a cottage white. The old tiles, gray and black, formed a checkerboard pattern; the new vinyl tile had a more neutral wheat color. After the new floor was installed, the basement took on a new look; it didn't seem half as creepy.

I replaced all the old lighting fixtures -- bare bulbs and industrial-like fluorescent ceiling fixtures -- with something more residential. A pendant lamp over the sink, and some inexpensive but nice brushed nickel fixtures from Home Depot. Much better.

I still have a little bit of painting to do. I've also got to replace the old ungrounded outlets with GFCIs (no equipment ground; my mid-century house has a mix of grounded and ungrounded boxes), and insulate some gaps. Once that's done, it's on to the basement stairwell. I've been doing some prepping there already, filling in pockmarks in the drywall, and replacing old-school light switches with illuminated Decora switches.

Next Monday, the contractor will be removing the old kitchen cabinets; they got waterlogged, and although cosmetically they look fine, open the doors and you'll see a mess.

This is only the beginning My house ... ugh. If I had to do over again, I would have bought something else. The previous owners did a LOT of remodeling; some high-end (Corian countertops, expensive kitchen appliances, salvaged brick walls in the family room), some with a level of craftsmanship that makes special ed wood shop birdhouses look wonderful in comparison. Need I mention the indoor-outdoor carpet in some rooms, the Pergo over hardwood (!), and the quite-visible drywall tape seams?

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    RJ what color is that room? I think I may have found a color that my wife and I can agree on...
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN View post
    RJ what color is that room? I think I may have found a color that my wife and I can agree on...
    I would describe it as "tarnished copper." The other walls are light beige and the ceiling is bone white. It was painted these colors when I moved in. I would never have the cojones to select this color pattern. Fortunately, it seems to work and our decor appears to compliment...

EDIT: it looks lighter in the pic than in real life. It's hard to describe.
    Last edited by Richmond Jake; 19 Feb 2008 at 5:53 PM.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Escaping Pergo-tory

Well, my girlfriend and I started pulling off some of the laminate flooring last Sunday, and we found oak hardwood floors underneath, in quite good condition. (I'll post photos tonight) It still boggles the mind: who would put laminate over hardwood?

As with everything else in this house, though, what should be a fairly easy job has been made a few orders of magnitude more difficult thanks to the previous owner's "what the fcuk were they thinking?" approach to home improvement. They nailed the laminate floor down. Nailed fcuking laminate to a hardwood floor.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    I was just informed my screen door blew off my house. Damned kids can't make sure its latched Of course its my fault I won't have that problem with the next one.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    Well, my girlfriend and I started pulling off some of the laminate flooring last Sunday, and we found oak hardwood floors underneath, in quite good condition. (I'll post photos tonight) It still boggles the mind: who would put laminate over hardwood?

As with everything else in this house, though, what should be a fairly easy job has been made a few orders of magnitude more difficult thanks to the previous owner's "what the fcuk were they thinking?" approach to home improvement. They nailed the laminate floor down. Nailed fcuking laminate to a hardwood floor.
    You are right Dan...IDIOTS!
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I look back at this thread and

yup

it all still needs to be done! not, our deck IS done, should post pics...

Guess what? we found a petite iron tub on paws, and it is back from the finishers clean and white again. It''s destiny is to be tub/shower combo for the upstairs bath. Finally it is out of the van, ugh so heavy, and in the office. Downstairs bathroom is still scary behind the cloths, and if the upstairs toilet overflows it drips right through to the one below.

What are we waiting for?

oh just about a free and easy 3-5K

Registered
    Aug 2001
    We've been looking at our kitchen counter-top and it really needs help. It's a synthetic material, not tile or formica, less than 10 years old, but previous owners set hot pans directly on it and did not use cutting boards. We want to avoid the expense of replacing it, so I've been doing the Google thingy for about a week trying to find a product to refinish the existing top. Maybe it doesn't exist. Here's what we had in mind: sanding down the tops and applying some type of finishing product like a hard, clear enamel or epoxy. You folks ever come across such a process or product? Am I way off-base? Wasting my time? We're going to the local home and garden show this morning. Maybe we'll get some ideas there.

What does the Throbbing Brian say?

Registered
    Jul 2006
    You can probably apply a laminate over the old surface it you clean it and sand it lightly. I've seen that done but I'm not sure that it's a better solution than taking the old top off and installing a stock one from your local building supply store.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    My brother & SIL do lots of home renos, and one that came out particularly well was installing large (4") tile on their kitchen island. heat resistant, fairly easy to clean (they sealed the grout). Pretty sure they just stuck it on top of what was already there, then trimmed the new edges with narrower tiles.

That would give you whatever color you wanted, as well. I think tile grout takes about 24 hrs to set up.

HTH

Registered
    Aug 2001
    The island is a wide "v" shape containing a small sink near one end. Tiling that puppy would be a pain in the ass.
    We decided the top is Corian. Their web site isn't much help.

To get a better understanding of what I'm trying to describe, I'll try to post a couple of pix tomorrow when I get home from golfing.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    RJ's kitchen is white cabinets with grayish countertops (yawwwwnnn....). Last year i brought up a pack of red striped/toned dish towels I thought would add some color.

Tonight we were watching Designed to Sell on HGTV and the designer pulls out this pack of dish towels, the exact same towels, and makes them into pillows for a living room. They were maybe 5 dish towels for 10 bucks at Bed Bath and Beyond.

So we may actually have some decorating taste?

Registered
    Aug 2005
    yesterday decided to rearrange furniture. i reviewed by feng shui book and decided to switch the bed in the master bedroom. i finally realized that going to bed each night hating my bed was probably not the healthiest thing.

other bed is lower and has a headboard. now need to work on new sheets, duvet cover, and romantic accent pieces. i also realized that there are only one or two photos of me & BF where we're together and having fun. most of the time it is just one of us in the photo and the other person is snapping the pix.

question for the throbbing brain:

what color should my shutters be? we have a two-story house with yellow vinyly siding. the roof is brownish. right now the shutters are dark brown. realistic suggestions?
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    question for the throbbing brain:

what color should my shutters be? we have a two-story house with yellow vinyly siding. the roof is brownish. right now the shutters are dark brown. realistic suggestions?

Red
    or maroon

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Living in a small rural community, it seems that everyone knows the previous owners of our home.

Once people learn we live there, they often start telling us about all the improvements the prior owners had made, and ask us what we have done thus far.
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by SGB View post
    Living in a small rural community, it seems that everyone knows the previous owners of our home.

Once people learn we live there, they often start telling us about all the improvements the prior owners had made, and ask us what we have done thus far.
    Same here, in the house I sold last summer. I'd be out and about and meet people a few blocks over, and tell them I'm at the corner of such and such, the tan place set back, and they always said "Oh yeah, you bought Tracy's place!". It was in a suburb of about 30,000 but an old neighborhood with some long-established families, grown kids moving back to the neighborhood, etc. The house was built in '59 and I was the third owner.

Got our hose bibb installed by the pool today, so no more dragging a hose in from the back yard. Now RJ can install the mister (17 mist sprayers!) which will make lounging by the pool in 95 + d weather much more tolerable. We are definitely close to having the perfect place for hanging out in the summer.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Looking at tiling my shower this weekend. Anyone in the last hours of the week have some advice for this DIYer.

I sure think I know what I am doing.... we shall see.....
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

+ Reply to thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Planning improvements
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 22 Oct 2011, 1:10 PM
  2. Improvements for commercial corridors
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 01 Feb 2008, 9:25 AM
  3. Replies: 13