Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Spring cleaning; got the itch?

Registered
    Sep 1999

Spring cleaning; got the itch?

I"m there. We're in those few great weeks when FL is warm, breezy, but not in the '90's yet, and that doesn't last long. I feel cheated because I had to run errands today and have to do a family thing tomorrow, but I'm in the mood to clean!

Nevertheless, today I cleaned out 3 kitchen cabinets, plus under the sink, packed my sweatshirts/turtlenecks away for the summer, and cleaned my car windows. I would do a lot more clothes stowing away if I hadn't forgotten to buy more underbed storage boxes today. Darn.

Really wish I had had time to pick up some flowering plants for the planters out front.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    It's not quite time to put away the sweatshirts and turtlenecks here! Today, I finished painting the hallway, and helped my son move his room into the attic. I still need to sote some of the things I've been keeping inthe attic, and there is one space behind the wall to fill.

I did notice today that our grass is growing! I'd much rather cut grass than spring clean.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    We're in the last push of our renovations, before getting new carpet on April 5... so we're cleaning out every possible thing. We have to stuff 2200 s.f. of house stuff into 300 s.f. of rooms that won't be recarpeted. So the kids went through their toys today, and I gave away just about half my wardrobe. I also TSPed the ceilings and walls of the hallways and kitchen today, which was gross.

Tomorrow I'm painting those areas I TSPed today, and then I'm moving all the furniture in other rooms and starting all over again.

We have six kid-free days coming up, and we've taken vacation time. So we're hoping to get a large chunk of the finishing touches on the renovations done. Of course, it would be a lot easier to concentrate on the work inside if I didn't have to devote a few hours a day shoveling my driveway. March has been a pain, snow-wise.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    It's on my plate for today. Still need to clean the roof and gutters. Rake the yard. Oh, I have a long list of chores.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I hire spring cleaning done. But I am eternally working on cleaning out the garage.
    You darn tootin', I like fig newtons!

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Not quite Spring here, bit the wife and I started the cleaning yesterday. Cleared out our storage unit and took a stab at the nooks and crannies that might not get the cleaning attention they need. Granted, we only have a two-bedroom apartment, so there aren't too many neglected areas, but has anyone else pulled out their stove to clean under and around it lately?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Moving from two houses has definitely gotten me going beyond a mere spring cleaning. We have unloaded several Subaru-loads of stuff to Goodwill, in addition to having a garage sale and putting things on Craigslist. After cleaning, we have been spending our time finishing landscaping, painting, completing my mantle and tile around the fireplace, replacing doors, putting up trim, etc.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Yup I had the itch this weekend. Patined by kitchen cabinets to freshen them up, did all the laundry, and for the first time ever, bought and hung curtains. I may tackle the basement next...

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Thank god I go back to work tomorrow. Today I trimmed the crepe myrtles, pulled weeds, got the kid to start taking apart the old ping-pong table, started cleaning the screened porch, did 2 loads of laundry, cleaned out my dresser, hauled 10 bags of trash to the street, and started on my closet, etc. I have to go back to work to rest.

I only read one book all weekend. I guess that means I am normally really lazy!

Registered
    Nov 2003
    I cleaned the refrigerator yesterday. My Mom is coming to visit the weekend after next.
    I am recognizing that the voice inside my head
    is urging me to be myself but never follow someone else
    Because opinions are like voices we all have a different kind". --Q-Tip

Registered
    Dec 1998
    Our guest room is still filled to the brim with unwanted wedding presents. The problem is we just don't have any storage space for it. The most we can do is sell it. If we can get that cleared out, I'd be a very happy camper.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

It took me 40 hours to build but just two hours to deconstruct: the kids playhouse/swingset is no more. The yard looks so much bigger and better now that that eyesore is gone.

The soon-to-implode garage is another matter entirely
    Je suis Charlie

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    We have a 2bd apartment so basically we need to move some of the furntiure around and sweep up.

We moved the fridge and a floor cabinet to another part of the kitchen a couple weeks ago and it was pretty gross under and behind the fridge.

Sometimes I am jealous that people with houses have yards to work on, then I quickly overcome that.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Well, I had guests over so I did a little more than usual cleaning. I swept out the garage, cleaned off my balcony, etc. I'm more concerned with clutter right now.

I sold off a set of dishes that had been in the garage for three years, a set of silverware, some ancient Revereware pots, and a Morrocan bowl. Hopefully, i will be selling a cabinet, too. Our office intranet bulletin board can be useful.

The biggest problem is that I need to focus my collecting a little more/de-clutter, so I will be selling some of my second tier Acoma pottery (i.e., beautifully hand painted, but the pottery itself is commercial (factory made) greenware), along with some Morrocan ceramics, Nicaraguan ceramics, etc. I need to focus on fewer, higher quality Acoma and Laguna Pueblo pieces, Mexican (Tonala style) ware, and art glass. I don't want to deal with shipping the goods, so I might go through an e-bay reseller.

Registered
    Oct 2003
    No itch, but we will be moving this summer so it will naturally sort itself out.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    my cats are spending a few weeks at my boyfriends so i'll finally be able to vacuum without cats slinking about. i should probably go through my clothes and pick out things to get rid of and donate.

does anyone else have a ton of books? i have so many books relating to school and planning that i'm running out of shelf space. i'm going to need to buy another bookcase. but i don't have room!
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    May 2003
    My bathtub needs cleaned but I took the back wheel of my bike apart and I'm rebuilding it now (not a simple task. ). My apartment is not big so I don't ever have a big backlog of things to do. I could clean the whole thing top-to-bottom in a day. I do have large amounts of paper though that I odn't want to throw out until I go through it. I suppose I could spend some time going through it.
    Reality does not conform to your ideology.
    http://neighborhoods.chicago.il.us Photographs of Life in the Neighborhoods of Chicago
    http://hafd.org/~jordanb/ Pretentious Weblog.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    In a new discovered reality where it doesn't snow
    I have started to some spring cleaning. This year I plan on scrubbing out the frige, beach most surfaces, rent a carpet cleaner, trim all the plants, power/pressure wash the deck and reseal it, clean all drains out, move major appliances to sweep and mop surfaces underneath, vacuum refrigerator coils, and replace air/furnace & dishwasher filters.
    Trusting a DC politician with your money is like trusting a hungry dog with a raw steak.

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    I spring clean about 3 times a year ( I am a little neurotic about crap piling up in the closets)...the basement is clean and my cousin lives down there so that I don;t have to mess with. The laundry closet, my closet and dresser drawers, the garage, the coat closet and the boys closets all need to be cleaned out..I just need to find the energy and time
    I have a cleaning person that comes every other Friday so the bathrooms and hardwoods get done then....

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    I have started to some spring cleaning. This year I plan on scrubbing out the frige, beach most surfaces, rent a carpet cleaner, trim all the plants, power/pressure wash the deck and reseal it, clean all drains out, move major appliances to sweep and mop surfaces underneath, vacuum refrigerator coils, and replace air/furnace & dishwasher filters.

I'm all for personal responsibility and leaving things better than what you found them...but I thought you were a renter?
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I am starting to clean up the outside. I am to the point where I can start cleaning out the gutter, but my neighbor keeps a junker parked there, I also need to put down some seed where the city cut-down my ash tree (thanks to our friend the emerald ash borer).

I am also going through stuff looking at what I can donate to charity. This also gives me the opportunity to go through closets, straighten, reorganize em.

I's also like to get to washing the windows and replacing my back gutter soon.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by btrage
    I'm all for personal responsibility and leaving things better than what you found them...but I thought you were a renter?
    hear, hear....my policy is to leave it as good as I got it when renting.

Sealing the deck? Way unnecessary, imo.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    I got the itch and ending up ripping out all of my kitchen cabinets! They just wouldn't come clean enough!

Same with the gigantic holly tree in the front. I got so sick of suffering mortal wounds trying to clear out the spiky leaves - chopped it down! Chopped down some other junk trees in back. Now maybe we'll be able to grow some grass in the backyard.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Chet
    ...and for the first time ever, bought and hung curtains. I may tackle the basement next...
    Yeah, it's kinda like that. When I put the house on the market to sell or rent, I went out and bought "window treatments" for the living room and the bedrooms. Blinds are usually enough for me.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I definitely haven't got the bug. Mrs. Maister, however, has been going on a rampage for the last week and a half and has been emptying out drawers, closets and shelves all over the house every time I turn around.

Frankly, at this point I'm running out of places to hide. I mean one can 'go back to work in the evenings', or have to 'go out and have the mechanic look at the car' only so many times, before this sort of avoidance becomes obvious. It's only a matter of time before I'm cornered into wallpapering the bathroom...
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 21
    Last post: 04 May 2011, 9:37 PM
  2. Replies: 42
    Last post: 20 Nov 2006, 11:10 AM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last post: 09 Apr 2005, 10:02 AM