Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Harvard MUP v. MIT DUSP

Registered
    Mar 2006

Harvard MUP v. MIT DUSP

There appears to be a lot written on the MIT DUSP program in this forum, but very little about the Harvard MUP program. Some say that MIT's program is more technical and practical while Harvard's is policy based, while others say that MIT's program stresses people-oriented work, while Harvard's is about the design. I'm interested in urban sustainability, especially in smaller Chinese cities, and both programs have pretty good China programs so I'm a bit torn. I wondered if any alumns, current attendees or anyone else can speak to the quality of the programs - the internships, the design of the requirements and master's project, the quality of the professors and research, the focus of the program, or the financial aid. Any help here would be most appreciated!

Registered
    Mar 2004

Hmm....

I suspect its because we're a bunch of lowbrow state university types around here.....he he he....What's the difference, they both have the "name" and similar costs......throw a coin and then choose Harvard.
    Skilled Adoxographer

BANNED
    Registered
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally posted by The One
    I suspect its because we're a bunch of lowbrow state university types around here.....he he he....What's the difference, they both have the "name" and similar costs......throw a coin and then choose Harvard.
    My thoughts exactly. Harvard, MIT, Penn, Cornell, Cranbook, and Berkeley types usually hire and associate with Harvard, MIT, Penn, Cornell, Cranbook, and Berkeley types. Not really much professional difference at that level when you are of the pedigree in the planning and design academic "stratosphere"...

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    I had a friend who went to MIT for his Phd in the Urban Studies program and there is alot of class-sharing with Harvard which he really liked - so it's really either/or

I went to the College of Environmental Science and Forestry at Syracuse - their planning program is heavily based in Landscape Architecture & Environmental Management - you can also pair up as a dual program with the University to get your MPA at the same time - just a little plug...

Registered
    May 2005
    I currently have three professors who went to MIT. They are among the more creative, collaborative and generally dynamic people I have studied with, though I can't cite any empirical evidence that the school had anything to do with it...

For the record, they all seemed to have greatly enjoyed the experience...

I think at the graduate level, between those two schools, you are really going to get out of it whatever you pursue/take on yourself. Both have immense resources to let one take things in whatever direction turns you on.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 4
    Last post: 28 Jun 2013, 2:52 AM
  2. School: MIT MIT DUSP Forum
    Student Commons
    Replies: 18
    Last post: 18 Apr 2013, 12:43 PM
  3. MIT DUSP Chicago Open House
    Student Commons
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 15 Sep 2005, 3:55 PM