Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: The very latest and greatest Cyburbia goes car-shopping thread

Registered
    May 2005

The very latest and greatest Cyburbia goes car-shopping thread

Breaking out of here at noon to go vehicle shopping with the wife. We've focused in on Acadias. It seems like most of the used Acadias are in the county to the west of us. Is everyone driving them over there WSU??
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    Breaking out of here at noon to go vehicle shopping with the wife. We've focused in on Acadias. It seems like most of the used Acadias are in the county to the west of us. Is everyone driving them over there WSU??
    Well, we have a Traverse which is roughly the same thing so anybody who is anybody over here is driving something on the Lambda platform. When I go out and look in the parking lot at our office (or the one across the street), it is full of Enclaves, Acadias, and Traverses and after we bought ours last fall I noticed that our neighborhood is full of them.

Honestly though, I am also looking for a new vehicle (a four door Wrangler) and looking at the inventories online the dealerships in this area just seem to have so much more inventory than the dealerships in the neighboring counties. I would imagine that a lot of that just boils down to the much higher population combined with the higher average incomes. There is probably just much more purchasing (both used and new) going on here. We also have significant GM employment here in the OC (even more than next door even with their Tech Center over there) and a lot of retires so that probably helps build up the supply of used GM vehicles locally.

FWIW, I think our Traverse is hideously ugly and the Acadia is much nicer looking. However, I do tell my wife that she did indeed pick out a very comfortable vehicle. It is very nice for the longer rides and has plenty of room.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    Well, we have a Traverse...
    We have one as well. My wife loves it. We considered the Acadia and the Enclave. The Traverse is the exact same chasis and it was less than the Enclave. Not sure why we didn't pick the Acadia... we got ours in 2010.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    We have one as well. My wife loves it. We considered the Acadia and the Enclave. The Traverse is the exact same chasis and it was less than the Enclave. Not sure why we didn't pick the Acadia... we got ours in 2010.
    We got ours new (2012) and the Traverse was less than the Acadia as well. My wife liked the looks of the Traverse better than the Acadia because the Acadia is slightly more boxy (or "SUV looking" as she put it) which was probably precisely why I like the Acadia better.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    May 2005
    A Traverse is our second option. My neigborhood in full of them. I didn't realize it, until we started shopping for a vehicle.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    A Traverse is our second option. My neigborhood in full of them. I didn't realize it, until we started shopping for a vehicle.
    I also own a 2012 Traverse. Put about 5k miles on it so far and no issues. I liked the size of the vehicle and felt it was a good price since I didn't want to shell out big bucks for a Yukon or Tahoe. Good for my two dogs and I like how the third row folds down flat for lots of cargo space.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Moderator note:
    split from RTDNTOTO8
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Get a MINI. Better gas mileage and more fun to drive.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    I can't be that close to my daughters while in a vehicle. I already want to throw them out the windows with their incessant talking.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    A former co-worker had a Mini. I had always wanted one because they seemed so fun. Then I had to ride in hers quite frequently... No thanks! I wasn't expecting it to ride like a Cadillac but it was about 100x more harsh than I thought it would be. And this coming from somebody who has driven a Wrangler for years.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I am zeroing in on a C-Max. 47 MPG mini-mini-van. Almost 200 hp and room for my parents and all their crap (wheelchair, canes, snacks). Won't need to worry about dad using the Lord's name in vain while getting into it and smacking his noggin' like he does in my Sable.

It looks a lot like the new Escape, but rides more like a Sedan.

Seats five comfy too. Most head to head comparisons are with the Prius V and the C-Max wins hands down. The fact that its made in a Plant my Grandmother once worked at is a bonus too. Employs my neighbors.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    A former co-worker had a Mini. I had always wanted one because they seemed so fun. Then I had to ride in hers quite frequently... No thanks! I wasn't expecting it to ride like a Cadillac but it was about 100x more harsh than I thought it would be. And this coming from somebody who has driven a Wrangler for years.
    Probably had run-flat tires on it. Those things are absolutely brutal. Took mine off as soon as I needed a new set. Much better and smooth now.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Oct 2009
    I thought all planners were supposed to drive a Subaru.

The lambda-based crossovers seem to be pretty nice and the various automotive critics seem to be a fan of the cars. I think the Acadia's 2013 refresh look really nice and attractive as well. What are you cross shopping the car with?

The Mini is nice as well. We've actually had two chili red S's in the family (my sister) and they're fun to drive, comfortable, and utilize premium materials with a not-so-premium pricetag. I prefer to drive my WRX over the Mini though.
    And that concludes staff’s presentation...

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by dw914er View post
    I thought all planners were supposed to drive a Subaru.
    Only the blue shirts drive Subarus.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    I got a 2012 Ford Focus hatchback last year and although I love the utility of the vehicle (4dr hatchback is wonderful) the drivetrain, particularly the auto trans shift timing is terrible. Not happy and may just leave Ford for another company when my lease ends in two years.

I would love to checkout a good condition used Mazda 6 Sportwagon. I really like wagons and it would likely fit the bill well.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Jun 2005
    I've got a little Mazdaspeed3 hatchback and love it to death. Almost 300hp in a car that gets over 30mpg on the highway, handles like a Miata, and can fit two bikes inside. For those looking for something more SUV-like, the CX-5 is real nice and will have a diesel option available later this year.

The Focus (Focii?) are real nice too. Especially the Focus ST. As is the WRX, especially the hatchback. Love those.

Registered
    Jan 2009
    I have the anti planning car, a Mustang Bullitt. I decided to get a small sports car because: 1. My kids are little and I can cram them in back for now. 2. I had a truck, but then I became the department haul everything to the meeting guy.
    My wife has a more planning acceptable Ford Escape Hybrid. I'd recommend it, it keeps the kids at arms length, but the constant talking is still there (it's not just your kids). There is a solution...notice the separate place for kids!
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Quote Originally posted by dvdneal View post
    [snip]I have the anti planning car, a Mustang Bullitt. I decided to get a small sports car because [/snip]
    Uh, to me that's not a small sports car - that's a honking big sports car.

Another MINI driver here...agree on the run flat tires, they are crap for ride comfort and I ditched mine too when it was time to replace them ($400+ a tire?! No, thanks).

My MINI days are coming to a close soon as the wife has finally admitted she does not want to learn to drive standard ever ever, and I won't buy a MINI with an automatic transmission. Combine that with a recent promotion at work which includes a car allowance and we are likely looking at a new vehicle in the near future. Probably go with the Mazda 3 wagon or VW Golf.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Tranplanner View post
    Uh, to me that's not a small sports car - that's a honking big sports car.
    Obviously you've never been in one. Not a whole lot of room, low to the ground. Yes you can sick a V-8 under the hood, but not all of them have those.

Being a Northerner, I have grown accustomed to FWD for the snow. I love driving them. Mustangs are RWD so they are off my list. Maybe if I lived in CA though....

A Mini is off my list too. Two reasons... too small for a 6'5" guy and its not made in 'merica! I come from a UAW family.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    Obviously you've never been in one. Not a whole lot of room, low to the ground. Yes you can sick a V-8 under the hood, but not all of them have those.
    Been in them and driven them - my brother is a big Mustang nut and has had everything from a 1965 coupe to a 2003 GT Fastback. They may be cramped inside, but compared to a MINI, they are ginormous!

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    I'm definitely in the market for a new car. For as long as I've had my license (the past 10 years), I've been driving the same car that used to be my grandma's, and it's on its last legs. It's been giving me quite a bit of problems the past couple years in particular, and I don't know how much further it can go. It's not so much of mileage that's the problem (about 115,000), but rather age (14 years). My Grandma put hardly any mileage on it for the four or five years she had it, and it just sat there a lot of the time, which isn't good for the car.

So I'm hoping it will last me until next tax refund and bonus season, which is only about ten months away now. Yes, I'm counting down.

I really want to get a Ford Mustang. My dad had one when he was in his twenties, and I always liked them and thought they were cool, and my family's always been kind of a Ford family. Also, I'm still single without kids, so if there's anytime to be wild and get a cool car, it's now. I think I'll buy a lightly used car. Luckily, my boss has some solid connections with many dealers in the area, and said he would help me, which is really nice of him. So, hopefully I'll get a better deal as a result. My credit isn't as good as I'd like it to be, but maybe they'll work with me on that. While I am sorta picky about what I want to get, there are several dealers to choose from.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Jan 2009
    If you can find an affordable newer Mustang you just need a 6 cyl. They'll put out bout 300 hp. Now if you're like me, go for the 5.0 or the new cobra and have one fun.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Tranplanner View post
    Been in them and driven them - my brother is a big Mustang nut and has had everything from a 1965 coupe to a 2003 GT Fastback. They may be cramped inside, but compared to a MINI, they are ginormous!
    Compared to a mini, a Chevette is ginormous too!

Registered
    Jun 2003
    The silly - the Simpsons's Canyonero
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Come on!

Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    Only the blue shirts drive Subarus.
    The ONLY reason I visit this thread is to see which planner is buying a Subaru this week.....you are all letting me DOWN! Work harder and start buying Subarus people......
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Cyburbia Weightfest Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 582
    Last post: 05 Nov 2013, 4:00 PM
  2. Replies: 10
    Last post: 10 Dec 2012, 12:24 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 01 Jun 2006, 1:57 PM