Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: What would you do if you weren't a white-collar worker?

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Working with my uncle in historic restoration or working at my own cafe/bistro as a chef.

Quote Originally posted by sisterceleste
    Own an antique store
    I think he's looking for a paying job
    Last edited by Tranplanner; 22 Mar 2006 at 12:41 PM.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Most likely I'd be in retail. I used to manage a Lingerie store, and I've also supervised at Crabtree & Evelyn. The hours aren't great, and the pay for hourly bites, but management has its perks! If I couldn't do that, I'd probably be more into a craft store/jewelry business type thing.

Another option would be a receptionist/clerk at a very busy office.

Manual labor isn't my bag, so no construction job for me, thanks!
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Oct 2005
    I'm already probably the most blue collar white collar worker there is on this board. I enjoy most blue collar things and actually don't like being refered to as white collar because I'm a very hands on planner. But to answr the question I would probably be a fire fighter (since I am already a volunteer) or an inspector of some kind, housing or roads, though that is kind of white collar to a degree to... but I would wear the hard hat and orange vest.
    @GigCityPlanner

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Salmissra
    I used to manage a Lingerie store
    That's not a bad idea, maybe I can do that.....wonder what my wife would think?

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Tide
    ...I would probably be a fire fighter.
    Yeah, that's a good one! I would definitely consider that too.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by ssnyderj
    Based on your skills/hobbies, what would you be doing if you weren't a planner/engineer/surveyor (Matoon)?
    If we're keeping it strictly to blue-collar fields, I'd probably be an electrician. It's a close match to my interests in electronics and technology, and I got a very good background into electrical engineering in high school. Working as a railroad engineer ot track geometry inspector might also be an option.

Looking at white-collar fields, if planning wasn't an option, probably architecture. If, for some reason, I couldn't get into architecture school, maybe postgrad in geographical sciences or sociology (post-graduate - in academia), or property law. Last resort - graphic design. Fascinated by it, but the pay is horrible.

I always found it fascinating to compare your profession to that of your parents and grandparents, and maybe your great-grandparents if you knew what they did.

Me: urban planner
    Parents: Dad/cigar/ and tobacco sales, Mom/video store chain executive (both retired now)
    Grandparents (Dad): Grampa: tailor, Grandma: wife/homemaker
    Grandparents (Mom): Grampa: telephone company linesman, Grandma: homemaker, miscellaneous retail

When I get back into the great grandparents and before on Mom's side, we're talking stevedores, factory workers, railroad and ferry conductors, and the like. A lot worked in Great Lakes transportation ans shipping. On Dad's side, it's traditional shtetl occupations.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    A firefighter, or perhaps a river guide.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by ssnyderjr
    Some days I envy the blue collar workers and wish I was doing more laborious work.
    HOLY S^%&!
    I was going to post this VERY SAME THING yesterday. Nice intuition, Snyder

My jobs:
    -Commercial Landscape maintenance (family business, and I am well versed in it already) Plus I would get winters off.
    -I've thought about getting my CDL and driving large trucks for deliveries. I passed a couple lumber delevery trucks this morning and doping local deliveries would keep me on the move and happy. That and I like driving big trucks.
    -I have also though about construction
    -Furniture making/carpentry (trying my hand at it right now in my spare time)
    -Bartender, like Jax I have done this and loved it.

Sometimes I think I would be better suited to work with my hands, outside, and moving around. Sometimes I don't think this.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by Dan
    I always found it fascinating to compare your profession to that of your parents and grandparents, and maybe your great-grandparents if you knew what they did.
    Me: trails planner
    Mom: dancer, dance studio owner, airline ticket clerk, housewife
    Dad: attorney
    Grandparents (Mom): railroad engineer, housewife
    Grandparents (Dad): owned a grocery store

Before that, I think Mom's grandparents were farmers and merchants. Dad's, I haven't a clue.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    i think i'd like to do something outdoors, either a landscaper or a park ranger. maybe work at a zoo playing with the baby animals!!
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Dec 1998
    Quote Originally posted by Dan

Me: urban planner
    Parents: Dad/cigar/ and tobacco sales, Mom/video store chain executive (both retired now)
    Grandparents (Dad): Grampa: tailor, Grandma: wife/homemaker
    Grandparents (Mom): Grampa: telephone company linesman, Grandma: homemaker, miscellaneous retail

When I get back into the great grandparents and before on Mom's side, we're talking stevedores, factory workers, railroad and ferry conductors, and the like. A lot worked in Great Lakes transportation ans shipping. On Dad's side, it's traditional shtetl occupations.
    I think this warrants its own thread.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I would operate a greenhouse or maybe a specialized ag operation (raising llamas, growing herbs, or some such).
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Me: City Planner
    Mom: Graphic designer
    Dad: Navy Seabee in Vietnam, and then retired from GM factory
    Grandparents (Mom): grandfather: owned a saw shop; grandmother: housewife
    Grandparents (Dad): farmers (both of them really)
    Before that - big time farmers

Registered
    Dec 2005
    God, what wouldn't I do?
    I have a bunch that I've done or seriously considered for a long time:

Painter - faux finish, murals, furniture (done)
    Welder - art objects, furniture (done)
    Caterer (done)
    Breakfast/Coffee shop owner (not)
    Ice cream shop owner (not)
    Raise goats and make goat's milk cheese (not, but this has been the longest held dream of mine)

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Hmmm...maybe Princess was right about there not being any attractive planners here - I haven't seen anyone say they would be a swimsuit model, playboy bunny or exotic dancer yet.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Mom: School Counselor; Realtor, stained glass artist
    Dad: Banker--works primarily in acquisitions and mergers
    Grandparents (Mom): grandfather: retired military (WWII & Korea) then insurance sales; grandmother: housewife
    Grandparents (Dad): grandfather: owned auto parts store; grandmother: housewife
    Before that - most men were farmers. surprisingly, a lot of the women as far back as my great-great Grandma had post-secondary educations and were teachers, which was somewhat rare for that time. Great-Great Grandfather owned a cigar factory in St. Louis.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I like dogs. I like walking. I would probably be a dog walker

I also like plants, so I would hire onto my neighbor's landscaping crew and probably do that as a business. Sole proprietorship, though.

Registered
    Feb 2006
    I'm not sure where I am...or where I want to be
    If I don't have to be realistic,
    I'd love to be an advice columnist; the next Dear Abby, for real!

or a movie reviewer or restaurant reviewer

Registered
    Nov 2003
    If I had my choice of being a blue collar worker, it would be a subway driver. I've done the blue collar thing and it's not my cup of tea to make a living.

I have done the following:
    busboy/dishwasher/short-order cook at a tex-mex restaurant in Omaha - in high school

ConAgra warehouse laborer (ahhh...yesss the pallet jack scooter races!!!)- summer after HS graduation

Con Agra plant laborer - summer after freshman year at KU

Greyhound Customer Service (ummmmm......can I get an express bus from LA to Miami to get to a wedding tomorrow (true phone call!!)

retail sales clerk at the Crossroads Mall (Omaha) - didn't pay enough to do my job and security's too.

telemarketing - the worst

ConAgra Flour Mill laborer - I was one shovelin' fool. I worked for my Mom. She's the toughest boss I ever had. Couldn't call in sick because I out too late. I worked with a bunch of immature knuckleheads. You wouldn't believe how many different kinds of flour there are.
    I am recognizing that the voice inside my head
    is urging me to be myself but never follow someone else
    Because opinions are like voices we all have a different kind". --Q-Tip

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by CosmicMojo
    If I don't have to be realistic,
    Well heck, if we're going that route.... I want to move to Montana and grow a crop of dental floss. Become a dental floss tycoon.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

growing herbs
    Indeed, not just the tax free variety. I always thought it would be cool to run a specialized farm growing exotic herbs, greens, vegetables and flowers somewhere around Mendocino or Humboldt to cater to restaurants of Napa and San Francisco. Edit: that market is flooded, I'm sure.
    Raise goats and make goat's milk cheese (not, but this has been the longest held dream of mine)
    I find cheese making fascinating and would love to do this.
    I would like to have a heard of goats for clearing peoples property of unwanted vegetation. That would be really cool I think.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    Quote Originally posted by SW MI Planner
    Mom: Graphic designer
    Dad: Navy Seabee in Vietnam, and then retired from GM factory
    Grandparents (Mom): grandfather: owned a saw shop; grandmother: housewife
    Grandparents (Dad): farmers (both of them really)
    Before that - big time farmers
    Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman
    Mom: School Counselor; Realtor, stained glass artist
    Dad: Banker--works primarily in acquisitions and mergers
    Grandparents (Mom): grandfather: retired military (WWII & Korea) then insurance sales; grandmother: housewife
    Grandparents (Dad): grandfather: owned auto parts store; grandmother: housewife
    Before that - most men were farmers. surprisingly, a lot of the women as far back as my great-great Grandma had post-secondary educations and were teachers, which was somewhat rare for that time. Great-Great Grandfather owned a cigar factory in St. Louis.
    Shouldn’t these be posted in this Thread?

I also think that it would be fun to be a military sniper, an assassin, or a boxer. I know... I have anger management issues.
    There is no such thing as failure, only learning experiences. However, it is our choice to learn the lesson and change or not.

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    Shouldn’t these be posted in this Thread?
    They *should*, but we are rebels. Actually we posted before the new thread.

I would also love to own an orchard - like Uncle John's north of Lansing. There'd be apples (u-pick and already picked), cider, a bakery, antiques, crafts shows, hay rides. That's one thing that bothers me about where I live now - there is nothing like that at all. There are a couple places to just buy apples, but that's about it.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by SW MI Planner
    They *should*, but we are rebels. Actually we posted before the new thread.

I would also love to own an orchard - like Uncle John's north of Lansing. There'd be apples (u-pick and already picked), cider, a bakery, antiques, crafts shows, hay rides. That's one thing that bothers me about where I live now - there is nothing like that at all. There are a couple places to just buy apples, but that's about it.
    Off-topic:
    There's a cider mill near Kazoo. Depending on how bad you want to absorb the atmosphere, that may not be too far for you to drive.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    I thought of another occupation I would like:

Auto salvage yard operator or scrap metal recycling operation....they're both nice dirty jobs and you get to crush things...how cathartic.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 27
    Last post: 09 Dec 2004, 1:41 PM
  2. Blue Collar Comedy
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 08 Mar 2004, 12:29 PM
  3. Replies: 33