Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Great Cities and Great Food how strong is the connection?

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Luca
    1. British cooking is mostly crap. They know it. They would not tend to lidt, say, Leeds as a town that is in any way associated with a particular fine food. That was my main point; some 'merkuns seem to harbor the illusion that most food in the US is not crap. Which it is.

2. I don't know where you ate in London, Jmello. If it was in places that serve chips withe verything I'm not surprsied you didn't eat well.
    I remember that the best meal I had in London was at an anonymous Mexican place on High Street Kensington. Or maybe it was that they had the best margarita. Perhaps that’s why that was such a good restaurant…

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner
    Ya might as well eat them dammed things they were so full of cereal filler and chemecial 'smoke taste', I could not find any meat in em... tasted like bad oatmeal that had been sitting in rancid pork drippings.
    As in the US, the quality of sausage available runs the gamut from toxic waste to excellent. Proper cumberland sausage has a very high meat content and there's nowt chemical aboot it. Too many tourists duck into the first cheap gaff they can find and are disappointed. In the UK, like the US, good quality food is not an everyday thing so if you wnat it, be prepared to pay premium prices.
    Life and death of great pattern languages

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by biscuit
    I remember that the best meal I had in London was at an anonymous Mexican place on High Street Kensington. Or maybe it was that they had the best margarita. Perhaps that’s why that was such a good restaurant…
    Mexican on High Street Ken??? Hmmm. You're not thinking about "Cuba" are you?? Lots of good memories from that place (albeit none of them much connected to the indifferent food).
    Life and death of great pattern languages

Registered
    Mar 2005
    The Indian was disappointing? No duh! Did you go to a place like Zaika or the neighborhood grease-pit?
    It was a high-end sit down place off of Oxford Street a few blocks west of the Tottenham Court tube station.

In comparing Miami to london I'm talking about comparable types of higher-end spots.
    Next time you're in Miami Beach, try this place:

http://www.nemorestaurant.com/

Perhaps the best service and most creative food we've ever had.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    As in the US, the quality of sausage available runs the gamut from toxic waste to excellent. Proper cumberland sausage has a very high meat content and there's nowt chemical aboot it. Too many tourists duck into the first cheap gaff they can find and are disappointed. In the UK, like the US, good quality food is not an everyday thing so if you wnat it, be prepared to pay premium prices.

I got this in a restraunt that serviced the banking area of Dublin, several blocks off of tourist filled Grafton Street. The place had linen napkins and mostly a suit and tie crowd. I had heard of bangers and mash, it was on the menu so I tried it.. this stuff was just bad. Was I still in a tourist area?
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 11 Jul 2011, 5:51 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 27 Nov 2010, 3:54 PM
  3. Great Food Combinations
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 61
    Last post: 30 Jun 2008, 10:34 AM
  4. Great PSA