Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Who really WON the Vietnam War?

Registered
    Oct 2001

Who really WON the Vietnam War?

A leftist rant, perhaps. But, this article nonetheless makes an interesting point: Ultimately, the U.S. system WON the Vietnam War. At least as far as Vietnam becoming a "platform" for multinational companies's never ceasing demand for cheap, cowable labor. of course, as China is the new powerhouse in manufacturing, Chinese companies will benefit the most from Vietnamese labor.

http://www.chris-floyd.com/

Registered
    Apr 2003
    In a new discovered reality where it doesn't snow
    [Left minded anti war activist] In war, there are no winners, only losers. Give peace a chance! Can’t we all be friends? [/Left minded anti war activist]

Interesting article and I think that it does bring up some good points that I had never realized. Not sure that I agree with any of it...but there are some good points.
    Trusting a DC politician with your money is like trusting a hungry dog with a raw steak.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Nobody won.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    We may call wars 'just' or 'unjust' 'right' or 'wrong' but is there such a thing as "winning" simply because one side or the other emerges on top? Doesn't one victory inevitably lead to yet another conflict in some other time or place. Hell, we're still fighting WWI

Philosophizing aside, I recall hearing an interview with some North Vietnamese general and he said Americans were fated to lose before they even began because they never really understood the conflict. The US insisted on viewing the conflict as an ideological battle between democracy and communism (Cold War ya know). Vietnamese north and south viewed the conflict first as a war for independence (which would certainly account for the South's lack of enthusiasm/questionable loyalties) and considerations of ideology were purely secondary. Whether one entirely agrees with this perspective or not, one must admit it contains at least a kernel of truth.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

hilosophizing aside, I recall hearing an interview with some North Vietnamese general and he said Americans were fated to lose before they even began because they never really understood the conflict. The US insisted on viewing the conflict as an ideological battle between democracy and communism (Cold War ya know). Vietnamese north and south viewed the conflict first as a war for independence (which would certainly account for the South's lack of enthusiasm/questionable loyalties) and considerations of ideology were purely secondary. Whether one entirely agrees with this perspective or not, one must admit it contains at least a kernel of truth.
    I believe in the documentary The Fog of War, Robert Mcnamara talks about this in a meeting he had with a North Vietnamese person years after the war. To illustrate the importance of independence there is a war memorial in Vietnam that displays all of the wars the Vietnamese have fought, the US war has a small space on that memorial. I think I remember that correctly.

Registered
    Feb 2006
    I'm not sure where I am...or where I want to be
    ahh, but it wasn't a War, it was a "Conflict"

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    The military-industrial complex won.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Feb 2006
    I'm not sure where I am...or where I want to be
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman
    The military-industrial complex won.
    Bingo! correct answer!!!!!!

as I recommended earlier, Watch the documentary "Why We Fight" for more on the growing power of the military industrial complex and how Eisenhower warned us about it as he was leaving office.

Registered
    Jul 2002

Vietnam

A good, somewhat dated, perspective is the book "Fire on the Lake." One thing though, if leaning from mistakes is "winning" if only in perspective, we lost, BIG TIME.
    WALSTIB

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 29 Jul 2010, 11:27 AM
  2. Dark Memories of Vietnam
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 23
    Last post: 24 Mar 2003, 1:24 PM