Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Need a license for a dog, but not to have a kid

  1. #1
    Cyburbian Planit's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    Location
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Posts
    7,005

    Need a license for a dog, but not to have a kid

    Heard on the news this morning that a 31 year old Kansas man was arrested in Tulsa, Oklahoma. The story goes he left his 3 to 4 year old son in an unlocked car in the parking lot of a strip club while he went in to visit the place. The car was located less than 20 feet from a major four-lane highway. He told his son to stay in the car and if he got out, monsters would eat him. After about 30 minutes being alone, the kid got bored (ya think?), got out of the car and wandered around the parking lot looking for monsters and then went in the club. After he walked in, the manager called the police (and not because the boy didn't have ID or the cover charge). The police arrested the guy, not for neglect or child indangerment, but for putting the child in need of supervision - or something odd like that.

    Our little one, WeeP is 3 and I could not even come close to thinking about leaving her in a car alone except to walk inside a convenience store to pay for gas or similar. Even then the car would be locked, and she would be strapped in her car seat with a book to keep her entertained - and that is a rare occasion anyway.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

  2. #2
    Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Location
    in a meeting
    Posts
    8,434
    I guess this happens alot in Vegas and other casinos - so sad

  3. #3
    Quote Originally posted by Planit
    Our little one, WeeP is 3 and I could not even come close to thinking about leaving her in a car alone except to walk inside a convenience store to pay for gas or similar. Even then the car would be locked, and she would be strapped in her car seat with a book to keep her entertained - and that is a rare occasion anyway.
    That would be illegal in Indiana. As much of a pain in the arse as it was (especially when they were in carseats, etc), I always took them in with me. Better, much much better, safe than sorry.

    As to the OP, if I told my son "monsters would eat him" he would completely freak. Even today, at age 9, he's convinced there are monsters under the bed waiting for him to fall asleep.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

  4. #4
    Cyburbian michaelskis's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Posts
    12,191
    I hope that they find that the parent endangered his child’s life and charge him with it as well as neglect, and let the kid be adopted by a good family.

    Then when father gets to prison, someone beats him.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

  5. #5
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Section 14-12-7, 3rd PM
    Posts
    2,096
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker
    if I told my son "monsters would eat him" he would completely freak. Even today, at age 9, he's convinced there are monsters under the bed waiting for him to fall asleep.
    Off-topic:
    Our kids were convinced there was a monster in the attic. I finally convinced them to go with me to the attic to show them it was ok. When there was no monster in the attic, they left srceaming "THE ATTIC MONSTER IS LOOSE IN THE HOUSE" I don't think they slept for a week

  6. #6
    Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Location
    De Noc
    Posts
    17,643
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker
    convinced there are monsters under the bed waiting for him to fall asleep.
    Abit OT - remember the Calvin& Hobbs cartoons about this.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)


    Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

  7. #7
    Cyburbian SW MI Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    3,160
    Quote Originally posted by savemattoon
    Off-topic:
    Our kids were convinced there was a monster in the attic. I finally convinced them to go with me to the attic to show them it was ok. When there was no monster in the attic, they left srceaming "THE ATTIC MONSTER IS LOOSE IN THE HOUSE" I don't think they slept for a week
    That's funny!!

    Regarding the original post = that makes me sick. I wonder where the mom was during all of this.

  8. #8
    Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Location
    Staff meeting
    Posts
    8,169
    Quote Originally posted by SW MI Planner
    That's funny!!

    Regarding the original post = that makes me sick. I wonder where the mom was during all of this.
    In the strip club? Dancing for dollars?
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

    Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

    Six seasons and a movie!

  9. #9
    Cyburbian Tide's avatar
    Registered
    Oct 2005
    Location
    The Gig City
    Posts
    2,651
    It's actually the title of this thread that got me to click, the story is almost off topic to that title. I have been saying something similar for years, that "It's easier to have children than pass a driving test" (and we all know how easy that is).

    But you should have a licence to be a parent.

    *start un PC rant* There are many idiots out there, everywhere, that have kids because either a) they have a womb and must fill it, or b) it's the next "logical" step in life. But many times people (couples or alone) have kids, and I know this from watching a friend of mine and it breaks my heart how he treats his kids because he still hasn't become the dad that *surprise* you are now. He still likes his alone time and gets agrivated when they interupt him and rarely do I hear him say a good word to them. I love his girls but honestly he doesn't need to have kids, but cest la vie, they have two. Or my GFs cousin who got pregnant just to have a kid, and even though the father said I don't want anything to do with you if you get pregnant, and she didn't let him have rights to that kid and he pays no support, but she wanted that kid so bad. But to her it's more of a play thing than a kid. Maybe in high school parenting should be taught, or at the very least responsibility, because that's not something that the genes can pass on.
    *rant off, flame away*
    @GigCityPlanner

  10. #10
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Santiago, Chile
    Posts
    4,767
    Quote Originally posted by Tide
    snips:
    But you should have a licence to be a parent.
    Maybe in high school parenting should be taught, or at the very least responsibility, because that's not something that the genes can pass on.
    License for parenting is a violation of our reproductive rights, and it would be very hard to enforce... besides having or not a license doesn't avoid kids to be born... and I don't thing it's a good idea that unlicensed parents have their children taken away, for the state to parent... although adoptions are a good solution.

    The real solution is education, that is very important, specially if parents don't teach their kids to be reproductively responsible (that doesn't end with saying "just use a condom or birth control")

    Sometimes, these people make me doubt Darwin...... But then I remember the Darwin Awards and breathe easy.

  11. #11
    Cyburbian Mud Princess's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Upstate
    Posts
    4,826
    Quote Originally posted by Tide
    But you should have a licence to be a parent.
    I'm sure it'll never happen, but I have to say I agree with you. Too many people who clearly shouldn't be parents have kids.

    And people constantly ask me and my husband why we're NOT having kids. Shouldn't the question be, why do you WANT them?

  12. #12
    Chairman of the bored Maister's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    Location
    on my 15 minute break
    Posts
    17,756
    I had to get a 'license' to be an adoptive parent!
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

  13. #13

    Registered
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Solano County, California
    Posts
    6,468
    Quote Originally posted by SkeLeton

    The real solution is education, that is very important, specially if parents don't teach their kids to be reproductively responsible (that doesn't end with saying "just use a condom or birth control")

    Sometimes, these people make me doubt Darwin...... But then I remember the Darwin Awards and breathe easy.
    Ah, the professional class's (or future professional class in your case) favorite mythology. "Education" as the solution to our problems. How many famopus genius intellectuals in history have been lousy parents? Plenty. Education does not equal "Character."

    Not saying that there not good things classes on parenting can teach, but if you are feeling trapped by children, are miserable and depressed because you,let your biology dictate the decision, etc. Education alone won't solve this. The idiot in the story rationally KNOWS that leaving a kid cooped up in a hot car is dangerous. He just chose to ignore his common sense because his CHARACTER demanded he go have FUN FUN FUN in the casino. .

    Rant of the Day Over

  14. #14
    Cyburbian Luca's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    1,150
    You're right BKM, but parenting classes such as are being promoted in the Uk and not jsut for teenage moms on crack) are actually sueful. Not all aprents study up on simpel stuff or read a million books like my wife did. She's got a major in babyology, I swear.

    Education is very very useful for all parents. I think the suffering of (effectively) unwanted/unloved children is the major problem in society taht cannot be solved through mere choice/repression. Anything you do even to the moron parent has a fall-out on the kids.

    Having said that, there's no reason to be completely paranoid. If I'm going into a shop and the kid's fallen asleep, strapped in his/her seat. I just lock the car (temperature issues being absent) and just pop in (we're talking a shopfront kind of place, wheer I can see the car, not a mall).
    Life and death of great pattern languages

  15. #15
          mentarman's avatar
    Registered
    Nov 2003
    Location
    St. Louis, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    146
    Quote Originally posted by BKM
    Ah, the professional class's (or future professional class in your case) favorite mythology. "Education" as the solution to our problems. How many famopus genius intellectuals in history have been lousy parents? Plenty. Education does not equal "Character."

    Not saying that there not good things classes on parenting can teach, but if you are feeling trapped by children, are miserable and depressed because you,let your biology dictate the decision, etc. Education alone won't solve this. The idiot in the story rationally KNOWS that leaving a kid cooped up in a hot car is dangerous. He just chose to ignore his common sense because his CHARACTER demanded he go have FUN FUN FUN in the casino. .

    Rant of the Day Over
    Your first point doesn't make a lot of sense. The poster wasn't saying education in general makes a better parent, but parenting education, and I don't think they said anything about character. So arguing that a genius isn't necessarily a good parent doesn't address the point unless the genius had taken parenting classes. Education isn't always the answer, and physics classes won't make you a better parent, but physics classes will likely make you better at physics and parenting classes will likely make you a better parent, or perhaps realize what you're in for an perhaps decide not to be one. You just seem to be unnecessarily tying the poster's statement to a rant you already wanted to make.

    Of course parenting classes won't solve the problem. But maybe some of the problems? Or at least, like I referenced above, help people realize the responsibilities involved and think about whether they are ready for that in their life at that point.

  16. #16
    Cyburbian Rumpy Tunanator's avatar
    Registered
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Intervention
    Posts
    4,475
    Quote Originally posted by SkeLeton
    License for parenting is a violation of our reproductive rights, and it would be very hard to enforce... besides having or not a license doesn't avoid kids to be born.
    I agree. I can't help it if I shoot an army of tadpole soldiers on the ground and the flies do the rest....


    3.

    2.

    1.

    You've been great audience, goodnight
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."


    Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

  17. #17
    Cyburbian AubieTurtle's avatar
    Registered
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Downtown Atlanta
    Posts
    894
    Quote Originally posted by Mud Princess
    I'm sure it'll never happen, but I have to say I agree with you. Too many people who clearly shouldn't be parents have kids.
    Might not happen here, but it's already the case in China. A coworker this morning told me she's pregnant. Since she's from China, the conversation eventually came around to the one child policy and related matters. Turns out, if you want to have a child, you have to get a permit to do so through your employer. If your employer has already given out all their allotted permits for the year, you just have to wait till next year. If you get pregnant when you're not suppose to, at the very least you get fired or fined, at the worst you get taken to the hospital for a manditory abortion. This explains why she was so worried about telling our boss that she's pregnant. She knows that it's fine in the US for her to have a second child and that there are laws to keep to company from fireing her so they won't have to deal with maternity leave, but it she still seems to have that employer-permission to reproduce connection deep down.

    But it's not exactly the same thing as requiring a test and show means of support like I believe was being implied here for a parenting license. As long as you only have one child, it doesn't matter what kind of idiot you are.
    As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron. - H.L. Mencken

  18. #18

    Registered
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Solano County, California
    Posts
    6,468
    Quote Originally posted by mentarman
    Your first point doesn't make a lot of sense. The poster wasn't saying education in general makes a better parent, but parenting education, and I don't think they said anything about character. So arguing that a genius isn't necessarily a good parent doesn't address the point unless the genius had taken parenting classes. Education isn't always the answer, and physics classes won't make you a better parent, but physics classes will likely make you better at physics and parenting classes will likely make you a better parent, or perhaps realize what you're in for an perhaps decide not to be one. You just seem to be unnecessarily tying the poster's statement to a rant you already wanted to make.

    Of course parenting classes won't solve the problem. But maybe some of the problems? Or at least, like I referenced above, help people realize the responsibilities involved and think about whether they are ready for that in their life at that point.
    Well....I was more making a general point about education as a panacea. Of course, parenting classes can do some good.

    It's still a case of character, and I would argue that most problem parents are not merely or primarilyu that way because of a lack of parenting class. How much education does it take to "learn" that one doesn't leave one's toddler in a hot car?

  19. #19
    Cyburbian natski's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2005
    Location
    In my own little bubble
    Posts
    2,561
    Yeah its illegal to do that in NSW.

    We have a big big problem with people leaving kids locked in a car, either at shopping centres or casinos during summertime, when the temperatures inside the car can kill the kids.

    Actually to think of it, we have a problem with people doing that with dogs as well, and i think that is called animal cruelty and you can get charged by the RSPCA.

    Yeah licensing wont help- they give car licenses out to idiots at the moment.
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

  1. Valid driver's license
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 32
    Last post: 14 Sep 2007, 11:43 AM
  2. Replies: 36
    Last post: 14 Nov 2005, 11:44 AM
  3. License Plate Quiz
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 40
    Last post: 13 May 2005, 9:04 PM
  4. License Plate Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 36
    Last post: 11 May 2005, 10:29 PM
  5. In-Link license
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 10 Mar 2002, 7:43 PM