Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: That was close !!!!!

  1. #1
    Cyburbian Budgie's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Sans Souci
    Posts
    5,265

    That was close !!!!!

    I was just reading some of the posts (you guys are captivating) and listening to Jimmy Martin's (1973 Bean Blossom Bluegrass Fesitval) rendition of "Free Born Man", when I realized that I had a pot of burning Top Ramen (Shrimp Flavor) on the stove. I got to the pot just as the last drop of moisture was bubbling into evaporative oblivion. I managed to save dinner thanks to a dirty coffee cup and the miracle of modern plumbing (I live on the 8th floor). That was close. Has anything like this happened to you, while visting Cyburbia?

  2. #2
    Cyburbian Michele Zone's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    7,061
    The only "close calls" I ever have involving Cyburbia is when I write looong screeds at 1am or 2am and then decide to remove it at 3am before anyone on the East Coast begins popping their head in to see what's going on here. :-} I suppose a few visitors and one or two Cyburbanites have gotten to read some of that crapola but if it is pulled before anyone replies, "no harm, no foul" -- I guess.

  3. #3
    Cyburbian michaelskis's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    Posts
    16,480
    A buddy's 21st b-day back when I was in college became a close call. I was the DD and dropped him and his room mate off at their place. Well they tossed a frozen pizza in the oven, and passed out. They woke up to the fire alarm going off because the place was full of smoke from a burnt pizza. They are sure that it would not have burnt the house down, but it did mess up the pizza.
    There is no such thing as failure, only learning experiences. However, it is our choice to learn the lesson and change or not.

  4. #4
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Santiago, Chile
    Posts
    4,767
    Oh how many dumb and sometimes offensive replies have been thankfully lost due to timeouts while answering in this forum! Although I hate when these timeouts happen, they usually are a lifesaver and delete a dumb and useless reply that I usually change afterwards.

  5. #5
    Cyburbian biscuit's avatar
    Registered
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Paris of Appalachia
    Posts
    3,902
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    A buddy's 21st b-day back when I was in college became a close call. I was the DD and dropped him and his room mate off at their place. Well they tossed a frozen pizza in the oven, and passed out. They woke up to the fire alarm going off because the place was full of smoke from a burnt pizza. They are sure that it would not have burnt the house down, but it did mess up the pizza.
    Been there, done that... only I wasn't tohe DD. Got back home from a night of carousing and put a DiGiorno (Spinach, mushroom and garlic. Mmmmm......) in the oven. I then spawled out on the couch while waiting for it to cook and ended up passing out. It had to be at least an hour and a half later before I woke up realizing what I had done. There were no fires of smoke alarms but the pizza was, well, lets just say it was less than edible.

  6. #6
    Cyburbian boiker's avatar
    Registered
    Dec 2001
    Location
    West Valley, AZ
    Posts
    3,895
    Quote Originally posted by biscuit
    There were no fires of smoke alarms but the pizza was, well, lets just say it was less than edible.
    nonsense! It's always edible!
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

  7. #7
    Cyburbian Budgie's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Sans Souci
    Posts
    5,265
    Quote Originally posted by biscuit
    Been there, done that... only I wasn't tohe DD. Got back home from a night of carousing and put a DiGiorno (Spinach, mushroom and garlic. Mmmmm......) in the oven. I then spawled out on the couch while waiting for it to cook and ended up passing out. It had to be at least an hour and a half later before I woke up realizing what I had done. There were no fires of smoke alarms but the pizza was, well, lets just say it was less than edible.
    This happened to me about 3 months ago after clubbing and an all night wrestling competition with the babe of my choice in the back of my boody wagon. After an all nighter, I stumbled in at 7:00 a.m., put in some spicy curly fries and fell asleep. The alarm didn't go off (which is not a good thing since I'm on the 8th floor), but the smell was enough to wake me up. I had carbon sticks in the oven. This happened around 8:30 a.m. and I had to coach a soccer game at 9:00 a.m. So it was a good thing I woke up.

  8. #8
    Chairman of the bored Maister's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    Location
    on my 15 minute break
    Posts
    21,372
    Quote Originally posted by Budgie
    Has anything like this happened to you, while visting Cyburbia?
    Not while visiting cyburbia, but this morning my wife left a waffle in our ancient toaster oven and it burst into flames. Why didn't the smoke alarm go off? Because two days earlier I pulled the batteries out when she turned a lasagne into carbon and I forgot to replace them. No wonder you hear so many stories about babies being rescued from burning houses, the parents are suffering such sleep deprivation and the babies needs are so distractingly constant and demanding it's a wonder they don't set themselves on fire.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

  9. #9
    Cyburbian illinoisplanner's avatar
    Registered
    May 2005
    Location
    The Fox Valley
    Posts
    5,202
    Blog entries
    1
    This past weekend, my mom was cooking dinner and apparently there was something that fell into the bottom of the stove from a previous meal. Well, it began to burn and stink, but we didn't make a big deal about it except turn on the fan.

    Then all of a sudden, I'm sitting upstairs, and the air is all smoky and hazy and I can barely see down the hall. We opened all the windows and turned off the stove and you could see the smoke billowing out of the windows. No fire or anything, but we were surprised the smoke detectors didn't go off. Maybe it's time to change them.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

  10. #10
    Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Location
    Staff meeting
    Posts
    10,033
    I can relate.

    I almost killed a man last night, but was luckily distracted by a squirrel.

    That was close!
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

    The ends can justify the means.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

  1. I'm ready for my close-up
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 26
    Last post: 15 Sep 2009, 7:35 PM
  2. CDBG close out?
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 31 Jan 2005, 8:29 AM
  3. Close but no....cigar.
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 23 Apr 2003, 11:42 AM