Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Sports Figure & Entertainer Pay Levels

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Sports Figure & Entertainer Pay Levels

Seems that every one of the major spectator sports (in the USA) has about a 2-week period just before the start of the season when everybody and their grandmother are complaining about the high salaries that these jocks get.

And, all year long we hear about the high pay levels of entertainers.

My question for the throbbing brian of Cyburbia.....should they be getting these big bucks?

Jessica Simpson.....classic beauty......is she worth what she gets for being in a film? A 300-pound lineman for a pro football team.....is he worth what he gets paid? A baseball player with good eye-hand coordination.....is he worth it?

What say you?
    _____

This Bear's opinion (probably not widely shared): You get what the market will pay. Doesn't matter if they are good or not. If the market says "We want to see you" or "We want you in our line" or "We want you to hit 300".....they finish these statements with ".....and here's how much we will give you to give us what we want."

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Nov 2003
    You're worth as much as someone is willing to pay. In sports, it's the owners' fault. They hold the purse strings. Other entertaiment, the payscale is not as cut and dry IMHO.
    I am recognizing that the voice inside my head
    is urging me to be myself but never follow someone else
    Because opinions are like voices we all have a different kind". --Q-Tip

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    As far as the entertainment salaries, I think how some people are celebrities is just mind boggling. Jessica Simpson...in comparison to her cohorts in music (her original outlet), she is nothing. Her first couple albums went platinum at best. A reality TV show and a mediocre movie remake of a 1970s TV series??

And Paris Hilton...what the hell does she do? Besides be part of a wealthy family?

Lisa Marie Presley...come on now. What did she do besides be somebody's daughter?

That guy who won on "Dancing with the Stars." What did he do besides be somebody's brother?

Whatever happened to judging a celbrity's worth accoridng to album sales, box office revenue, Nielsen ratings, artistic contribution, and awards/accolades? Not by how many tabloids they were in because of their relation to so-and-so.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    I watched the Tiger Wood interview on "60 Minutes". Man, he makes some money. Hard to fault him for it, though. He works very, very hard. He worked hard to get where he is at. He works hard to stay there. He is committed to bettering himself, even if it means shaking up what works. He seems like a man with a good size ego and over-the-top competitiveness. But that is why he is Tiger Woods. He is putting a lot of his money to help kids reach for their dreams.

Loves his family. Works hard. Gives back to the community. Decent fellow. More power to him, I say.

Entertainers and pro athletes make a riduculous amount of money, but when you consider that a celebrity has maybe five years of top earning potential before they typically slip into appearing on reality shows, maybe it pencils out as being not so great. I don't fault them for making a lot of money. I fault them for not showing the good sense to save what they make. MC Hammer, Michael Jackson, etc., blow all their serious bling they earn on ridiculous crap and overly lavish lifestyles.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 176
    Last post: 07 Jan 2014, 8:01 PM
  2. Levels of Religious Involvement
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 30
    Last post: 06 Nov 2006, 11:01 AM
  3. Terror Levels, Do you believe it?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 35