Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Seeking Texas internship advice

Registered
    Mar 2006

Seeking Texas internship advice

Hello all. I am senior at Texas State University-San Marcos with a degree in Urban and Regional Planning (eat'em up cats). I neglected to use my internship for credit program at school, as I was working fulltime to make ends meet. Do any Texans or anyone else have any advice as to how I should try and get an Internship in Texas. I am willing to do anything to gain hands on experience. I plan on gettin a masters, but would first like to get some experience. Any information would be greatly apprecieted. Im just trying to make it happen like everyone else on here. Thanks again.

-Ryan-

Registered
    Feb 2006
    I'm not sure where I am...or where I want to be
    Ask your professors, they often get calls from organizations and companies looking for interns.

Also, doesn't your school post internships on a bulletin board?

Registered
    Aug 2004
    City of Houston does an UNPAID internship. It's in the Comprehensive (long-range) group; at least it has been the last 3 years. I don't know who oversees it, so you may have to ask around - try calling the main number (713-837-7701) and asking for long-range planning.

Ditto about the professors knowing/having connections. That's how I got my internship what seems like many years ago.

Good Luck!
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Nov 2004
    The City of Austin does many internships as well, and we're not far from where you currently live. Check out this site to look for some contacts (scroll down to "planning"): http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/help/directory_p.htm
    "I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every single minute of it!"

Registered
    Jul 2005
    If you're interested in private work, send me a PM and I can get you in contact with my company's HR people. We employ planners in both land development (typ. very large planned developments) and transportation planning (comp plans, corridor studies, etc) groups. Texas and nationwide offices

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 19
    Last post: 10 Apr 2010, 8:20 PM
  2. Replies: 10
    Last post: 10 Jul 2005, 12:00 PM
  3. Replies: 22
    Last post: 23 May 2005, 6:24 PM
  4. Seeking advice on the architectural discipline
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 07 Feb 2001, 9:09 AM