Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Atlanta: Virginia Highland & Atlantic Station (no 56k)

Registered
    Mar 2005

Atlanta: Virginia Highland & Atlantic Station (no 56k)

Went to the ATL this weekend. Visited Virginia Highland, a pre-war streetcar commerical node and Atlantic Station, a brand new Midtown mixed-use brownfield development perched atop a three level parking garage and cut off from the rest of the city by a 12-lane expressway. Very impressed by V-H, but not by Atlantic Station.

ATLANTIC STATION:

VIRGINIA HIGHLAND:

Registered
    Oct 2001
    From this brief photoessay, Atlantic Station looks amazing like Bay Street in Emeryville or maybe Santana Row in San Jose. There are worse ways to build chain retail. I did like the older community-quite lovely.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Interesting contrast between new urbanist and traditional areas. By what I can tell is both have people on the street walking, which is what you want your city to be. Is it the modernity of the AS that you don't like? Is it very dependant upon people driving or taking transit to AS as opposed to the other neighborhood? I do see housing in VH so it is very much a mixed use area, but I see offices in AS so it is mixed use as well. I guess I am not getting what is so bad about stictly from the photos.

Thanks.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner
    Is it the modernity of the AS that you don't like? Is it very dependant upon people driving or taking transit to AS as opposed to the other neighborhood?
    I did not hate it, just didn't care for it. It seems completely disconnected from the rest of the city, but that is how most of Atlanta feels.

This photo may put it in more perspective. This is what all sides look like: http://www.emporis.com/en/il/im/?id=354319

FYI: There is no rapid transit access, just a massive parking garage below, a new bridge over the huge freeway and mini-bus shuttle service from MARTA Arts Center Station (about a 1-mile away).

See: http://www.atlanticstation.com/

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I didn't mean to say Atlantic Station was "amazing" just "amazingly" identical to other urbanistic lifestyle centers.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    nice pics. I used to live in VH and my stepsister still lives there (right acros and to the left of that fire station!).

As far as Atlantic Station, I went there during x-mas time (to Ikea of course) and it has a little bit to go before it 'matures', but at least they are trying... it will improve with time.
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by jmello
    I did not hate it, just didn't care for it. It seems completely disconnected from the rest of the city, but that is how most of Atlanta feels.

This photo may put it in more perspective. This is what all sides look like: http://www.emporis.com/en/il/im/?id=354319
    Hmm is that a freeway above a parking structure??? wow how odd! So the street level is actually about level five of a parking garage?
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Hmm is that a freeway above a parking structure???
    No, that is the 17th Street extension from Midtown.

So the street level is actually about level five of a parking garage?
    Level 4 to be precise.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 5
    Last post: 25 Sep 2007, 5:14 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 29 Mar 2005, 7:00 AM
  3. Atlantic Station in Atlanta
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 20 Feb 2005, 8:05 PM
  4. Replies: 0