+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Your Favorite Museums

Museum of Science and Industry Chicago
    Albright Knox Art Gallery Buffalo

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Can't believe more of the Smithsonians aren't named. Some really GREAT museums in D.C. I really like the natural history and air & space myself. The Holocaust one is good, a good one for any Iranian diplomat. I really like the Baltimore aquarium at the inner harbor as well. Univ. of Oklahoma has a GREAT natural history museum, if you like dinosaur bones it is up there at the top with D.C. and Chicago's isn't bad either. I've been to a number of museums in about every state but Maine, Hawaii and Alaska and I have to say there are a bunch of good ones out there. As far as small town ones not including national landmarks and parks, ie Little Big Horn - etc... I really like a small museum in McPherson, KS. has some interesting things in it. Has anyone ever been to McPherson, KS? For some reason I really like that little town...

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I'd like to add the Milwaukee Art Museum simply for its addition. Truely a wonderful place and setting.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Here are a few of my favourite museums:

London:
    National Art Gallery
    Imperial War Museum
    London Museum (history of London)
    Tate Britain (another art museum)

Paris
    Musée d'Orsay
    Musée Marmottan (has lots of Monet artworks)

Brussels
    Musical Instrument Museum (totally awesome; had a great time there)

Keswick, Cumbria, England
    Pencil Museum

Manchester, England
    Urbis (Museum of Urban Life)

Pompeii, Italy
    The ruins of Pompeii

Delos, Greece
    The entire island (a national site where the ruins are being preserved as is)

My gosh, I just realized now, that I don't have a favourite museum in either Canada or United States! I better get out there, eh? (For the Toronto folks, are there any good ones here in Toronto?)

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Hceux
    My gosh, I just realized now, that I don't have a favourite museum in either Canada or United States! I better get out there, eh? (For the Toronto folks, are there any good ones here in Toronto?)
    The Science Center is cool. It was there back in 1976 that my interest in urban planning was first developed. As you young buck, my family spent the bicentenial in Canada, at a lakeside cottage of my mother's friend in the Rideau Canal region. We stopped by and saw that museum and the hockey hall of fame on our way back home.

The Hockey hall of fame was great, dunno what its like at BCE place, but since BCE place and the Milwaukee art museum are designed by the same guy, it would be cool to look at at least.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Others not listed above include:
    The Louisville Slugger Museum and Bat Factory
    The J.B.Speed Art Museum (Louisville)
    Storm King
    The Montshire Science Center
    Indianapolis Children's Museum
    The Cyclorama at Gettysburg
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

     
    Registered
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Luca
    Picking just one per location

LA La Brea Tar Pits
    Wash. Nat’l Air & Space
    Chicago Art Institute
    KCMO Nelson-Atkins Gallery
    NYC Whitney Mus.
    Rome Musei Capitolini
    Milan Poldi-pezzoli
    Florence Uffizi
    Madrid Thysen COllection
    Turin Egyptian Mus.
    Barcelona Picasso Museum
    Girona Dali Museum
    Granada not a museum, the Alahambra
    Paris Musee d’Orsay
    London British Museum

the nelson is my favorite...it doesnt hurt that it is 2 blocks from where i live.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    The only museum of note down here is the Dali museum in St Pete and you couldn't pay me to go there.

I have a kid. When we're on vacation we're gonna play mini-golf, not go to a museum.....
    He's been through that little kid "ooh-aah" phase of visiting science centers/dinosaur exhibits and the local museum with relics/pics of our town. He's into video games now. Hoping when he's old enough to get a passport without d*ckhead signing off, I can take him to Europe and then he can see something interesting. My point was that in FL there aren't any great museums. I haven't taken him anyplace that has anything extraordinary.

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Here are a few of my Los Angeles favorites:

The Getty Museum (Los Angeles) - beautiful setting, collections, and great example of Richard Meier's work (worth taking a free tour to learn about the architecture and details).

LA Museum of Contemporary Art - Great place to view art and sip wine in a downtown Los Angeles setting. Right across from the Frank Gehry designed Walt Disney Concert Hall, which isn't a museum, but is amazing.

I can't think of the name of that museum that is next to the freeway on the way to Pasadena. It's a cluster of historical homes that have been saved from demolition. The tour takes you inside of some of the homes and it's interesting to see the size of these rooms (think very small).

Museum at FDR's House in Hyde Park

The museum at FDR's home in Hyde Park NY is not huge, but is very nice.

The National Building Museum is D.C. was a tremendous disappointment. It was a truly beautiful building but almost no exhibits. The most interesting thing I found was hidden away in a closet - it was the original building model for the Lincoln Memorial.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Charliesch
    The museum at FDR's home in Hyde Park NY is not huge, but is very nice.

The National Building Museum is D.C. was a tremendous disappointment. It was a truly beautiful building but almost no exhibits. The most interesting thing I found was hidden away in a closet - it was the original building model for the Lincoln Memorial.

Hmm ya must have been there on an off day, I've seen some pretty cool exhibits there. Its either that or we have different ideas on what a building museum should be.

     
    Registered
    Apr 2006
    My favorite museum is definately the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn, Michigan. I also love going to the small museums that just about all towns have that are either free to get in or don't cost much. In nearby Plymouth's museum they have a huge room full of Abraham Lincoln stuff, it's amazing! I have a nice Abe Lincoln shrine in my room

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Another vote for the Milwaukee Art Museum... have only been there once since the addition opened, but I like the building and the collection (it's the one I grew up with )

I like the Minenapolis Institute of Art, The Weisman (small art museum on University of Minnesota campus), Chicago Institute of Art, and am fond of the Cloisters in New York, 'cause it's unique. MoMA was also neat, though a bit too crowded (I had to go on a Saturday 'cause I was working during the week).

On the other side of the Atlantic, there's Moderna, Arkitektur, and Nordic in Stockholm, the city Art Museums (Konstmuseé) in Göteborg and Norrköping, Munchmuseet Oslo, Neue Pinakotek in Munich, Orsay in Paris, Tate Modern in London

Next time I'm in Minneapolis I will HAVE TO go to the renovated Walker. I've never been there and, well, I should have long, long ago.
    What luck! A random assemblage of words never sounded less intelligent.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    In Washington, DC:
    Library of Congress (they have some small but fantastic exhibits)
    Smithsonian American History Museum
    Renwick Gallery
    Phillips Collection
    National Gallery of Art (original building, not the newer shark's tooth building)
    Natural History Museum
    Building Museum

Elsewhere in the US:
    Milwaukee Public Museum
    National Aquarium in Baltimore
    Monterey Bay Aquarium
    Evergreen Aviation Museum, McMinnville, OR (Spruce Goose, SR-71, etc.)
    Colorado Railroad Museum
    California Railroad Museum
    Museum of Natural History, NYC
    New England Aquarium, Boston
    Virginia Aquarium, Virginia Beach
    Getty

Probably lots of others if I thought about it some more.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2006
    The building is damn ugly, but I liek the Smithsonian Museum of American History. I think it really gets the flavor/character of America. Im so glad that they include so many things about life for ordinary americans. It's not so dedicated to the glory of the proud nation whatever.

Some of the various nucelar msuems can be strange.
    British Imperial War Museum is quite good, even though it is about war and the glorious British troops. Their simulations and scenes are well done.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2006
    I'd say:

Museum of Folk Art in NYC - very nice

and Pablo Neruda's Isla Negra house in Chile

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I haven't been to that many museums, but a few that I really like include:

-Museum of Science and Industry (Chicago) - I have to go back there someday soon to check out their redone U-505 and model railroad exhibits.
    -Art Institute of Chicago
    -Milwaukee Art Museum
    -Milwaukee Public Museum
    -Experimental Aircraft Association (Oshkosh, WI) - Second only to the Smithsonian Air and Space for their aircraft collection.

Some that I haven't yet visited, but want to:

-Field Museum of Natural History (Chicago)
    -Chicago Historical Society Museum
    -Natinal Gallery of Art (Washington, DC)
    -NFL HoF (Canton, OH)
    -Major League Baseball HoF (Cooperstown, NY)
    -Rock and Roll HoF (Cleveland, OH)
    -Illinois Railroad Museum (Union, IL)

Mike

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Baseball HoF in Cooperstown, NY
    RR HoF in Cleveland
    Victoria & Albert in London
    Kew Botanical Garden in London
    Museum of Fine Arts in Boston
    Museum of Science in Boston
    Isabella Stuart Gardner Museum in Boston
    Smithsonian - all of them, especially Air and Space

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by mgk920
    -Illinois Railroad Museum (Union, IL)

Mike
    I've been there, if you go on the weekends you can ride an old CTA el car through the cornfields. The museum is pretty interesting I first went there with my father, then took my niece there when she was two because she loves trains.

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Rating the Museums
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 39
    Last post: 12 Nov 2009, 2:31 PM
  2. Parking Parking requirements for museums?
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 30 Nov 2005, 8:33 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last post: 11 Oct 2004, 12:37 PM
  4. favorite mom
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 25
    Last post: 06 May 2004, 6:09 PM
  5. Your favorite bar
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 31