Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Identify your wheels

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Sure does seem like there's alot of VWs here! Count me in - '95 VW Trek. It's a great car, but w/ 2 kids it's getting a bit small. I'm considering a wagon, since I don't think I could buy an SUV in good conscience. I could *never* own a minivan ...

Getting that postings count started,
    Hilary

Registered
    Jul 1998

Identify your wheels

I'd ditch the SUV if I lived in a place that had transit. I am quite a bus fan. But here in small town Iowa, you have to drive everywhere.

     
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    1994 Saturn SL1. Bought it new without test driving anything else. I figured, GM was trying something new, the car looked cool, and the dealers treat you like a human being.

Something new would be nice, with an engine stronger than a sewing machine. But it is paid for and runs great. Plus, I got a minivan payment now, along with a one-year old daughter!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I've been driving a 1993 Nissan pickup... which I bought new. I moved around so much after college, that it seemed like the smart way to go (and it helps with all the camping equipment). I think it has a little over 100,000 miles on it. I live within 2 miles of work, so I usually walk or take the bus. Otherwise I would probably try for something more reliable. The thought of making car payments again usually quells whatever urge I may have to buy a new vehicle. The new beetles catch my eye though... especially the chartreuse ones

Deb

Registered
    Apr 2004
    I drive a chartruese 2000 beetle...could not possibly be any happier with it!

My, hmm, choice, shall I say was a 1999 Kia Sephia right as I graduated from grad school. NEVER AGAIN, will I ever buy some Korean made car that has a design flaw where the alignment goes out of whack at least twice a year. VW's are my choice, but my salary cannot afford the payments any more than what I pay now, and I have a 30 mile commute to and from work, so no biking for me at this point.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    1992 Chevrolet extended cab full-sized pick-up--it just rolled to over 100,000 miles. I drive to work alone (with Howard Stern on the radio) and I drive fast.

Registered
    Sep 2001

Top Down!

1999 Sebring Convertible...Cd Player, leather seats--it was my present after I got my divorce! I love it. If I feel crabby, I wont take long for me to feel good when the top is down! (unless it's raining, of course).

I just passed on my '87 VW Jetta to my dad. Great car but not reliable enough for long trips. The odometer broke 8 years ago at 53,000 miles.

I "seized the moment" and bought a Honda Accord when I was leaning toward a VW Passat. Amazingly, you can pay $28K for a Passat and not even get a CD player! All those options start to add up. Funny how popular VWs are when they couldn't give them away a few years back.

I never thought of the Accord as a "liberal" car because there are just way to many of them on the road.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    2001 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS

Great winter car, all wheel drive and all the sporty fixins, get 7 second zero to sixty times on a 4 cylinder, and I get about 28 mpg to boot. Subarus are great cars, but the RS is a step above, on top of all that, I can fit this pocket rocket in any space, anywhere. As for the Volvos, Dan, I would check consumer guide and the rest, they rated the S70/V70 one of the worst cars to buy, especially used, in the 2001 Used cars guides. and actually, the Mbenz C class as well. I take a good deal of stock in those mags, have yet to let me down. Not to knock the Volvie or the MB too badm they look great and I am sure give you some space and excellent comfort, just not the best reliablity. Dunno, that's my 2 cents.

Later-

Registered
    Sep 1998

My Vehicle

I know I'm going to regret telling you all this, but I own two vehicles that get driven during certain parts of the year.

Vehicle One: Is a 2000 Ford Explorer V8 AWD (gas guzzler). I drive (and insure) this vehicle only in the winter months up here in Manitoba where snow and cold temperatures can be a real challenge. I like the vehicle and have used it for several long highway trips, hauliing stuff around and occasionally hauling a trailer. This is the first new car I ever bought. What with all the recalls etc, it remains to be seen whether I'll keep it for the long haul.

Vehicle Two: Is a 1984 BMW 318i. This is a great little car with a small 1.8 litre fuel injected engine. This car has 280,000kms on the odometer and I believe it is capable of at leat another 100,000kms. This is by far the best car I've ever owned in terms of reliability etc. I garage the Bimmer in the winter as I plan on hanging onto it for a number of years. Also, with the low profile tires etc, this car is less than perfect in the snow.

I should say that on avrage, I keep the vehicles I own for extended periods of time. The first car I ever owned was a 1973 VW Super Beele and I had that one for 18 years. I owned my next vehicle, a 1989 Ford Bronco 11, for 12 years.
    Last edited by pandersen; 28 Sep 2001 at 3:42 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Man they must pay you well in Manitoba!

Registered
    Aug 2001

Top up or down?

Not only do they pay well in Manitoba, but the scenery is stunning! prairie, forests, mountains and lake winnipeg (which dwarfs our Great lakes).

But it's also on the edge of permafrost. Brrrr.
    How many convertibles do you see in Manitoba?
    Last edited by Jen; 30 Sep 2001 at 10:14 AM.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Convertibles wouldn't work in Manitoba...Another provence in Canada that is beautiful (at least in the travel books) is Alberta.

I live in La La Land so convertibles perfect. I would say about 6 months out of the year, perhaps more I can drive with the top down.

Registered
    Sep 1998

Work in Manitoba

Originally posted by Plannibelle
    Convertibles wouldn't work in Manitoba...Another provence in Canada that is beautiful (at least in the travel books) is Alberta.

I live in La La Land so convertibles perfect. I would say about 6 months out of the year, perhaps more I can drive with the top down.
    I know some Americans have the impression that the weather up here is something akin to "nine months of winter and three months of bad sledding". I would have to take issue with this exageration and let everyone know that winter is only 3 or so weeks longer out here as compared with Ontario. The difference is that it's dryer out here than in Ontario in the winter.

As for Jen's question about convertibles out here on the Prairies, sure, I see a few! Both my vehicles have sunroofs - all the better to see the "Big Sky" country.

As for being well paid out here, I guess everything is relative. Sure, I have two cars, but one is always parked at any point in the year. Also, the monthly payment on the Explorer simply takes my breath away not to mention lightening my pay envelope. I'm not complaining, just stating the obvious. Oh well, I'll payfor it in the next 3 or so years and hope to drive it for 10+ years.
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 16 Apr 2004 at 12:36 PM.

Registered
    Oct 2001

Try finding parts for either one

I drive a wonderful 1985 Volvo 244 to fit the Midwestern public's image of what a planner should drive to work - Frugal, efficient and a bit dowdy.

On the weekends, I drive a 1978 International Scout II painted OD Green to satisfy my soul. It has two gun racks, big tires and drops rusty bits of its quarter panels every time it hits a bump. Itís the kind of vehicle only a bubba could love.
    Last edited by el Guapo; 09 Jan 2002 at 2:22 PM.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Okay, time for an update. As of today ... a 1998 Volkswagen Passat sedan, V-6, auto/Tiptronic, leather everything. I'm a very, very happy camper, although I do know that I run the risk of becoming a regular at my friendly VW mechanic.

The way the Passat drives, I'll probably hold on to it for a very, very, very long time.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

1992 Mazda Miata 105,000 miles. Only averaging about 5,000 miles since I either bus or walk to the office.

Andreas Duany likes to use the Miata as a metaphor to explain the concept of neo-traditional. i.e. just like a British Roadster but much better since it's as reliable as a corolla.

2000 Subaru Forester We love this car since we feel it represents the best of all worlds.

Registered
    Nov 2001

Identify Your Wheels

Been lucky - 2001 Ford Crown Victoria furnished by employer. Police Interceptor Package with upgrades - after 30 mph you have to brace for G-forces. Jet black - has the "Darth Vader" look. Not a car for a slick image, though. I have to endure the questions about what branch of the Georgia Gestapo I belong to. If I'm out of a job, it will be just my Schwinn bicycle and I. What would I buy on my own? I'm a basic transportation kind of guy. If I lived in a city public transit would be fine for commuting, with a weekend car being an old 60's muscle car like a GTO convetible or a motorcycle. Otherwise, I'd like to have a Saab convertible if income allows.

     
    Registered
    Dec 2001

Saturn SL2

I have been driving my Saturn for exactly two years now, and this morning my odometer hit "12,700." Gotta love my commute!!!

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Oh yeah - Peachy's description of his wheels brings back memories - the company cars I cruised around in at my former employer were old police cars which had been put into the region's car pool - they were awesome to drive around town, but I'm glad I wasn't buying the gas.

We had both Crown Vics and Caprices. I used to love watching people discreetly buckling up when I pulled alongside. The effect was double when I'd pretend to speak into the radio mic and glanced over...

Not only were they fast, but they were rugged too - I owe my life to the Caprice which took on a moose and let me walk away...

One of the saddest days of my life was when they started replacing the brutes with wimpy mid-size Chev sedans. Maybe that's why I left...

Registered
    Oct 2000
    The thing I hate about being in the retired cop's Crown Vic is that when people run red lights the guy that's pulled up next to me gives me the "Well???? Aren't you going to do anything about that a**hole?" and i have to give him the "sorry" shrug.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Re: Saturn SL2

Originally posted by Planimal
    I have been driving my Saturn for exactly two years now, and this morning my odometer hit "12,700." Gotta love my commute!!!
    If I was back in Buffalo, my commute would consist of a ride on the Elmwood Avenue bus -- assuming that I worked downtown.

I love playing "armchair anthropologist" and noticing the vehicular preferences of various metropolitan areas. Denver was dominated by SUVs, expensive German uber-autos, Lexii, Infinitii, and Subarus. Last time I was back in Buffalo, I got an idea on who is buying all those Pontiac Aztecs. Rust isn't as prevalent as in times past, and there are still quite a lot of GM vehicles on the road, with a disproportionately large number of Oldsmobiles and Buicks. In Amherst, Japanese and German were more prevalent. Still, though, not too many SUVs in the Queen City.

"Nahnty nahn dahn, nahnty nahn a munt gets you into a brayand new Ford Focus"
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

     
    Registered
    Dec 2001
    I suppose that I too would take the Elmwood bus to work downtown if 1.) I lived near the Elmwood bus line, 2.) a bus ride between my home and downtown would take less than eight minutes, and 3.) the cost of a monthly transit pass was less than monthly parking - which is, of course, another issue altogether

Registered
    Oct 2001
    A '98 Dodge Durango & a '00 Nissan Frontier P/U

I have lots of people to haul around, and I don't feel old enough to drive a mini-van. Also, I enjoy remodelling homes (most of the time), so I use the pick-up to haul things around.

The Durango only gets 17 mpg at best, but I love the ride, can fit the entire Park Board in it (and have), and I never get stuck in the chat piles...
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Identify Your Epitaph
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 23
    Last post: 09 Jun 2003, 10:57 AM