Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: The *true* Iran:

Registered
    Nov 2004

The *true* Iran:

My view of Iran had always only been what the media portrayed. I honestly had no idea that it looked like it does in these photos. Some of them are actually beautiful (the scenery and the women): http://www.irandefence.net/showthread.php?t=32
    "I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every single minute of it!"

Registered
    Oct 2001
    For an interesting perspective on modern Iran, I recommend In the Rose Garden of the Martyrs, written by a resident British journalist married to a Persian wife. A quite interesting book-which shows the deep wounds in Iran today from their horrific wars with Iraq. It's not a rosy picture at all, but it is an interesting one.

Edit: The women are almost Parisian in their elegance, no?

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by jread
    ...and the women
    Here you go:

http://www.kosoof.com/photo/00247-03-photographer.jpg

Keep in mind that all of these photos appear to be taken in Tehran and wealthy resort areas. I wonder what the more rural/isolated parts of this large nation look like.

Registered
    May 2003
    Highways and hot chicks. Oh my.

What, they trying to make it look like Miami Beach?
    Reality does not conform to your ideology.
    http://neighborhoods.chicago.il.us Photographs of Life in the Neighborhoods of Chicago
    http://hafd.org/~jordanb/ Pretentious Weblog.

McMansions, Edge City, traffic jams, looks just like home.
    Quote Originally posted by jmello
    Here you go:

http://www.kosoof.com/photo/00247-03-photographer.jpg

Keep in mind that all of these photos appear to be taken in Tehran and wealthy resort areas. I wonder what the more rural/isolated parts of this large nation look like.
    Probably the same contrast you would get from pictures of New York and Miami compared to pictures of rural Alabama.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by jread
    My view of Iran had always only been what the media portrayed.
    Well, when the media is run by corporate supporters of the NeoCon War Machine, naturally the images you would see would invoke certains views of a nation/culture in order for the masses to latch onto the latest enemy du jour.
    I really like some of these shots, they give a lot of different perspective than what one in America would see by tuning in the TV.

Thanks for the post.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Reminds me of my Detroit vs the Detroit of those who have never been here, or those who strictly look for the worst in everything.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Funny how the "Iranian People" section is exclusively hot chicks.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Seabishop
    Funny how the "Iranian People" section is exclusively hot chicks.
    Yeah, I think it only goes to show that Iran and America have something else in common: most shutterbugs are male and so are most computer geeks.

I have seen some of those pictures before and thought about posting links to them some months ago but figured it would be taken as "inflammatory" coming from me. Here is a gallery of photos from Iran (and lots of them are pretty girls): http://community.webshots.com/album/190742475WaDrIe If I recall correctly: I think some of the photos here are the same as in the thread jread linked to.

FWIW: I have been told that the law in Iran requires women to wear the full head and throat covering ("hijab"), but most women wear just a scarf covering part of their hair, like this woman. They are also required to wear a covering of their clothing when in public which is supposed to go to ankle and wrist but "gets shorter every year" (or so I am told).

I have seen views of Tehran which are plainer -- construction, smaller buildings which are less stylish, etc. As others have noted: like any western city, it has its breathtaking parts and its more ordinary parts. I have also seen pictures of "ordinary" women and, no, they are not all drop-dead gorgeous. I think that reflects the personal preference/bias of the individual taking the photos.

Thanks for starting this thread, jread.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    http://www.irandefence.net/eimage/iran/19.jpg

The Iranians possess shocking ice cream technology.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Here is a startling alternative set of photos:

http://www.hansrossel.com/fotos/foto...an/index.htm?1

I especially like this one:

http://www.hansrossel.com/fotos/foto...n/ir_d1162.htm

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Thanks for the great photos. Some of the architecture is great. I really enjoyed the show.

It's always interesting to know what is really behind the media portrayal of places around the world... Througout the Dubai Ports controversy I don't think I saw a single image or heard a mention of the incredible economic changes in Dubai and the globalization of the city. And we'll certainly never see a picture of the stylish Tehran skyline on CNN... just covered up women in front of clay houses in the desert.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2006
    Wow, those were beautiful pictures. Its gives me the sense of the Mexican Atmosphere that I love so much. Looks very nice especially when its snowy, wow I am amazed. Thanks for that.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2004
    Who cares what it looks like? You need to pay more attention to the words coming of out Ahmadinejad's mouth. The guy is a crackpot who is going to start the next world war. Islam vs. the West. (If you hadn't noticed, it has already begun in many subtle and not-so-subtle ways.)

Registered
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally posted by ike
    Who cares what it looks like? You need to pay more attention to the words coming of out Ahmadinejad's mouth. The guy is a crackpot who is going to start the next world war. Islam vs. the West. (If you hadn't noticed, it has already begun in many subtle and not-so-subtle ways.)
    Yes, he speaks for all 70 million Iranians. Because of his words, we should obliterate the entire country!

Wow! Thanks for the thread jread. Much of the lavish architecture we see in the photos is no doubt, the fruit of Iran's oil wealth.

The women must get hot in the summer. Though they're mostly covered up, it seems like the modern look is to wear a tight fitting garment which lets them show off their figure, rather than a big black blanket type thing (a burka? ). And with this look, their scarves become almost as much an element of fashion as they do an emblem of religious tradition. Showing their faces and much of their hair, they wear the scarves the way you'd expect some wealthy 40-something Manhattan woman to look on a windy day. A lot of those photos are of glamourpusses, but I still think the average Iranian woman is a babe.

It's worth noting that the median age of the population in Iran is only 24! That's an awful lot of youth. If we get imperialist on their as*, they won't soon forget what we do to them.
    Last edited by dobopoq; 17 Apr 2006 at 6:10 PM.
    "The current American way of life is founded not just on motor transportation but on the religion of the motorcar, and the sacrifices that people are prepared to make for this religion stand outside the realm of rational criticism." -Lewis Mumford

     
    Registered
    Apr 2006
    Wow, the architecture in Iran definately surprises me. The pictures showing the skyline and the mountains in the background are amazing!

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    The big black cloak in Iran is called a chador and it is compulsory to wear in public. Generally a woman will wear a normal scarf over her head, then through the chador on top of it all. In the years since the Ayatollah Khomeini's death some things have relaxed a little and it is possible to get away with wearing just the scarf and an abaya which looks somewhat like a judge's or choir robe over the clothing.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Hello from Tehran / Iran
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 08 Oct 2009, 3:37 PM
  2. The situation with Iran
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 68
    Last post: 20 Feb 2006, 8:24 PM
  3. Scenario - Iran nukes Israel
    Friday Afternoon Club