Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: The REAL Real Thing: Passover Coke!

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

The REAL Real Thing: Passover Coke!

It just hit store shelves in my neighborhood: Kosher for Passover Coca-Cola in two liter bottles with distinctive yellow caps. There's KP Pepsi too!

What's so great about Passover Coke? In the United States, cane sugar is very expensive, and most non-diet soft drinks don't use it. Instead, they use corn sugar; corn is heavily subsidized in the US, and much cheaper. However, corn and several other grains aren't kosher during Passover according to Askhenazi Jewish tradition.

Passover Coke is made with real cane sugar, like Coke in the US before the mid-1980s, and Mexican and Canadian Coke today. It's only available a couple of weeks before Passover. Taste-wise, it's the same as Mexican Coke, which is outstanding.

If you find yourself in a Jewish neighborhood in the next few days, I highly recommend picking up several bottles of Kosher Coke or Pepsi. Good stuff.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Thanks for the headsup...I think I'll run over to Skokie or Roger's Park to get some. Made with cane sugar is great.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    wow... I wonder if we can get it on this side of the state?
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    wow... I wonder if we can get it on this side of the state?
    I would doubt it, unless you have a large-ish observant Jewish community there. If supermarkets in Kalamazoo aren't setting up special seasonal sections of Passover food, I doubt you would find Passover Coke there. You might have to drive to Oakland County. If you're going that far, you might has well just go to Canada to get cane sugar Coke, which you can do any time of the year.

A lot of people who aren't Jewish know about Passover Coke, so when it's in a normal grocery store it'll usually go fast. I got mine at a Kosher supermarket near me, where most of the customers are very Orthodox; they probably don't see many non-Jewish shoppers.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Dan
    I would doubt it, unless you have a large-ish observant Jewish community there. If supermarkets in Kalamazoo aren't setting up special seasonal sections of Passover food, I doubt you would find Passover Coke there. You might have to drive to Oakland County. If you're going that far, you might has well just go to Canada to get cane sugar Coke, which you can do any time of the year.
    I will be in Ann Arbor in mid April so I might have to take a trip to Dearborn and Farmington Hills.
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    I will be in Ann Arbor in mid April so I might have to take a trip to Dearborn and Farmington Hills.
    Passover is from the 12th through the 20th, so it might be too late. You might find it at at a kosher store, though, if you can find one; probably in Oak Park or Southfield.

Registered
    Mar 2004

Your best bet is Oak Park. There is a Kosher Farmer Jack that is the center of the Jewish Culture at I-696 and Coolidge (by the zoo). Orchard Lake Rd near Maple had a large FJ with a kosher butcher and large kosher foods section at one time too. I don't know if that FJ even still exists though. I am going to start hunting for the coke though, if I find it I''ll either buy ya some, or let you know where.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    This is good news. My mother's family is in the sugar business. We used to sell our sugar to Jolt Cola. Given the bad year Louisiana had and some family business problems, my dividends have been poor.

So to my Jewish brothers and sisters, buy the kosher Coke and "Le'Chaim!"
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Update: tonight I found Passover Coke in cans. Canned Passover Coke is very rare, according to what I'm reading on other message boards. I picked up two cases.

Look carefully at the top of the can. If there's Hebrew lettering, you've struck gold. I found an image online of what they look like.

Registered
    Feb 2005
    I remember reading somewhere, sugar cane cola is better for you than corn syrup, does anyone know if this is true?

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I recall reading a few years back that the 'Kosher for Passover' thing was not the sweetener, but the carbon dioxide. 'Kosher for Passover' cannot use leavening agents of any kind, thus CO2 from the most usual source (fermentation) is out.

The actual article that I read at that time involved Pepsico buying a load of CO2 from an oil refinery (obviously not a 'leavened' source), thus being able to make 'Kosher for Passover' Pepsi.

I have a couple of Jewish friends (conservative, not orthodox) whom like to sometimes trade unusual 'Kosher for Passover' stories with me, such as a newspaper article from a few years ago about a Jewish retirement home in Madison, WI using a blowtorch to 'prepare' the stainless steel countertops in the kitchen for the holiday (one MUST clean ALL traces of leavening agents from the kitchen).

From what I am aware of, Passover preparations are where the term 'spring cleaning' and its related activities originated.

Mike

Registered
    Mar 2002
    The story on kosher Coke

http://www.ajhs.org/publications/cha...documentID=270

It just hit the shelves here in the burbs of DC and we got a good bit. No kosher Pepsi just Coke and thats OK with me. As you said Dan there are no kosher cans here only the 2 lit bottles, hopefuly as the date grows closer we can get some I can store away.

OK whats the deal with the funky coconut covered marshmellows? ICK
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by PlannerGirl
    Seen them. Don't even want to touch them. With the exception of soft drinks and syrups, K-P foods are usually pretty blah. K-P wine supposedly isn't that great, either.

The store shelves here have been filled with K-P food for the past three weeks, with KP pop arriving this week. If anything, now's a good time to stock up on matzo; I saw a five-pack of Yehuda at Tops for $3 this week! Just think of it as an emergency food supply, in case of bird flu or something. If you get the hunger pangs before disaster strikes, you'll probably be less tempted to break into an emergency stock of matzo than some Pop Tarts.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    I keep watching for my favs-apple cin they taste just like applejacks YUM
    I love the grape juice, the reg marshmellows are not bad, trying the tea this week. Never thought about having to have kosher tea
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Quote Originally posted by PlannerGirl
    Macaroons, sweets to avoid flour. At leat you get marshmallow in yours.

wine suggestion that is drinkable: rodrigues from newfoundland.

getting ready for a trip to the food bank to dispose of unopened chametz(sp?)

Guess I'll need to vacuum my key board at home too.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Kosher beer, anyone? He'Brew - the chosen beer!!!

http://www.shmaltz.com/

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Haha I dont go overboard on the kosher for Passover thing, I dont see having my very goy roomies get rid of all their stuff too.

But it is a great time to find new foods and ideas to try.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Bubba
    Kosher beer, anyone? He'Brew - the chosen beer!!!

http://www.shmaltz.com/
    Kosher, but not Kosher for Passover, which is an entirely different thing. You can't have anything chometz: containing barley, wheat, rye, oats, and spelt, and is not cooked within 18 minutes after coming in contact with water. Among Ashkenazi Jews (most in the US and Canada), corn, rice, peanuts, and legumes is also prohibited by tradition.

Technically, you can't even have it in your house. Some seal off their regular kitchen cabinets and symbolically sell their food to a non-Jewish friend, buying it back at the end of Passover. Some people in Cleveland have metal kitchen countertops that they clean with blowtorches.

If you want to make your head spin, find out about shmura matzo and kosher for Passover pet food.

Me, I'll just attend a seder somewhere and be happy with that.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Is Santa real?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 26
    Last post: 07 Dec 2010, 12:16 PM
  2. Replies: 12
    Last post: 15 Feb 2006, 8:43 AM
  3. What is real, and what will help?
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 16
    Last post: 25 Jan 2004, 5:44 PM