Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Keeping track of zoning violations

Registered
    Feb 2002

Keeping track of zoning violations

How does everyone keep track of their ongoing zoning violations? Do you have a computer program that you use, or just an excel spreadsheet?

I usually call a business first and then send a letter, and I want to keep track of when I call or send a letter, who I have spoken with, and any further action. I want to make sure to not forget to follow up, or who I might have talked to.

Thanks

Registered
    Aug 2001
    We.....errr, "they" use a computerized tracking system that we purchased and went live last year.

Registered
    May 1997
    Just a spreadsheet. The computerized tracking software the town bought a few years ago is too complicated. We are building our own Access database, but won't be operational with that until (hopefully) this summer.

Spreadsheet plus

I use a spreadsheet and also type in reminders in Microsoft Outlook for the reinspects. Sounds simple - but it works!

What part of SW MI are you in - I am in NE IL not too far away..

Quote Originally posted by SW MI Planner
    How does everyone keep track of their ongoing zoning violations? Do you have a computer program that you use, or just an excel spreadsheet?

I usually call a business first and then send a letter, and I want to keep track of when I call or send a letter, who I have spoken with, and any further action. I want to make sure to not forget to follow up, or who I might have talked to.

Thanks

Registered
    Mar 2006
    I've just used Excel, organized it all by address of subject property.

This doesn't exactly apply but it is intersting... Loves Park, IL started posting their code enforcement status on the city's website, mostly so angry neighbors can see that something is being done about their neighbor's junk yards, and I think to maybe embarass the offenders. Of course, they state that all violations are "alleged". http://www.loves-park.il.us/Forms%5C...CodeEnfLog.pdf

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by cch
    I've just used Excel, organized it all by address of subject property.

This doesn't exactly apply but it is intersting... Loves Park, IL started posting their code enforcement status on the city's website, mostly so angry neighbors can see that something is being done about their neighbor's junk yards, and I think to maybe embarass the offenders. Of course, they state that all violations are "alleged". http://www.loves-park.il.us/Forms%5C...CodeEnfLog.pdf
    Whoa... that wouldn't fly here. Well, at least we couldn't put the owner name on there, etc. I could see some huge Freedom of Information and Privacy Protection violations. We'd get sued like there's no tomorrow!

Registered
    May 2004
    post it notes?

We've got a multi-million dollar accounting software program that the whoel City runs on. That's what we use.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12
    Last post: 20 Mar 2007, 1:11 PM
  2. Zoning Violations and the Simpsons
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 18 Oct 2004, 4:21 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last post: 18 May 2004, 10:58 AM
  4. Replies: 14
    Last post: 16 Jan 2003, 6:47 PM