Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Revitalizing areas along industrial canals

Registered
    Apr 2006

Revitalizing areas along industrial canals

Hi,

I'm working on a project looking at reusing a brownfield site along the Gowanus Canal, a polluted waterway in Brooklyn. The Gowanus area is an old industrial district with many remaining industrial uses, but the area is quickly gentrifying because of housing pressures in the city and the fact that it is surrounded by two residential neighborhoods that have already gentrified, Carroll Gardens and Park Slope.

I'm having a hard time finding comparable projects (case studies) in the U.S. and elsewhere. I know about the Lachine Canal in Montreal, but I was hoping that some of you might know of successful reuse projects involving brownfields/contaminated sites along polluted waterways.

Thanks in advance.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    There is an initeresting canal in Georgetown (DC). Detroit has canals too, but those are mostly residential.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    In Chicago there is the
    Chicago Sanitary and Ship Canal
    and
    Illinois and Michigan Canal

In New York there has to be a good example along the Erie Canal.

Richmond, VA is another possible example:
    http://www.richmondriverfront.com/canalwalk.shtml
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jun 2005

Brooklyn Native

Here's a link to site that has case studies of revitalization efforts in cities across the country. I think the Chattanooga, Tennessee case study "might" be most beneficial to you, it discusses riverfront revitalization, but sounds like some of the issues are similar.

http://clinton2.nara.gov/PCSD/Public...mm/suscob.html

I'm originally from Brooklyn (Crown Heights) and I'm very familiar with the area. I would love to see that area transformed into a residential friendly neighborhood.
    Prediction is difficult, especially about the future. :-o
    - Yogi Berra

Registered
    Feb 2006
    I'm not sure where I am...or where I want to be
    San Antonio is the one Richmond officials visited as an example when we were designed our canal revitalization.

In NYS:

The city of Syracuse has had some success redeveloping its canal I think the plan was called the Lakefront: A sidewalk community.

Also there have been some examples of using canal land for parkspace in places like the city of Amsterdam NY and other smaller cities along the canal.

Buffalo had a big "Inner Harbor" project in 2000 around their section of the canal, but I'm not sure what came of it ... alot of this development came from a $50Million canal revitilization program that Pataki began in 2002 it seems like alot, but it isn't nearly enough to do any real good for the 348 mile waterway.

Be sure to note in your project that Gowanus is in a much better position in than upstate because there's a wealthy population moving in, as well as a steady economy... Also talk to the Gowanus Community Development Corporation.

Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by JNA
    In Chicago there is the
    Chicago Sanitary and Ship Canal
    and
    Illinois and Michigan Canal
    The I&M no longer exists in any appreciable form.

The Sanitary Canal is still mostly lined with industrial uses (some brownfields.)
    Reality does not conform to your ideology.
    http://neighborhoods.chicago.il.us Photographs of Life in the Neighborhoods of Chicago
    http://hafd.org/~jordanb/ Pretentious Weblog.

Registered
    Nov 2004

International Example.

Try searching for canals in Manchester, England. The most canal riddled city in the UK. Manchaester is Englands 3rd city and is currently undergoing a 10 year redevelopment binge. There are lots of articles in various newspapers about the rejuvination and redevelopment along the canal banks. Unfortunately I cannot pick out a specific page. The link below is to all of the canals in the Manchester Area.

It is also worth having a look at Iberg in Amsterdam. Although it is more in the Isselmeer than a canal, it is at the end of the canal which connects the Isselmeer to the north sea.

http://www.penninewaterways.co.uk/manchester/index.htm
    Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day.

Registered
    Sep 2005
    Just curious where along the Gowanus? I used to live half a block from the canal on the Carroll Gardens side, near the Union St. bridge. What a terrific neighborhood!

I am sure that you have already looked at all the development just north of you along the Hudson River?

What use(s) do you have in mind?

Quote Originally posted by nyustudent
    Hi,

I'm working on a project looking at reusing a brownfield site along the Gowanus Canal, a polluted waterway in Brooklyn. The Gowanus area is an old industrial district with many remaining industrial uses, but the area is quickly gentrifying because of housing pressures in the city and the fact that it is surrounded by two residential neighborhoods that have already gentrified, Carroll Gardens and Park Slope.

I'm having a hard time finding comparable projects (case studies) in the U.S. and elsewhere. I know about the Lachine Canal in Montreal, but I was hoping that some of you might know of successful reuse projects involving brownfields/contaminated sites along polluted waterways.

Thanks in advance.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Canals
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 20
    Last post: 24 Oct 2008, 1:11 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last post: 08 May 2008, 9:30 AM
  3. Replies: 13
    Last post: 04 Apr 2007, 2:58 PM
  4. Replies: 10