Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is your town a ‘world city’?

Registered
    Mar 2005

Is your town a ‘world city’?

Following on from the best/worst city threads.

If you can check 7 out of 10 of the following, then your town (or many other town you want to nominate) is part of the global village (and no, being linked to the internet ain’t enough). 3 to 6, it’s an interesting provincial center. Less than 3…:you’re in podunkville.

1__ Has at least one building or work of art in it that a majority of cultured people in other countries would instantly recognize

2__ Has at least 5 flights per day going to 5 different countries other than the host country

3__ Has a stadium with a seated capacity of at least 50,000

4__ Has at least 2 museums that would take me more than a morning to visit (subjective!)

5__ Has a recognized, full season philharmonic, opera house and at least one cinema that routinely shows films in a foreign language

6__ Has at least three branches by major international banks located in it

7__ Is the original home (or its surrounding region) of an internationally know dish or of an internationally known consumer brand

8__ Hast least one university with more than 10,000 students that grants post-graduate degrees

9__ Has had at least one major release filmed there where the location was of more than passing importance

10__ Has a listing in this website http://www.worldsbestbars.com/
    Life and death of great pattern languages

BANNED
    Registered
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Luca

If you can check 7 out of 10 of the following, then your town (or many other town you want to nominate) is part of the global village (and no, being linked to the internet ain’t enough). 3 to 6, it’s an interesting provincial center. Less than 3…:you’re in podunkville.

1__ Has at least one building or work of art in it that a majority of cultured people in other countries would instantly recognize

2__ Has at least 5 flights per day going to 5 different countries other than the host country

4__ Has at least 2 museums that would take me more than a morning to visit (subjective!)

5__ Has a recognized, full season philharmonic, opera house and at least one cinema that routinely shows films in a foreign language

7__ Is the original home (or its surrounding region) of an internationally know dish or of an internationally known consumer brand

8__ Hast least one university with more than 10,000 students that grants post-graduate degrees

9__ Has had at least one major release filmed there where the location was of more than passing importance

I live in San Diego, California, and it is not even considered a "regional" city.

I would most definitely nominate Los Angeles to the list of world cities however...

Registered
    Mar 2005
    I'll start with the three towns that I've spent msot of my life in:

Milan, Italy.
    1 maybe, let's say no. 2 Y, 3 Y, 4 ish, let's say yes, 5 Y, 6 Y, 7 Y, 8 Y, 9 not that I can think of, 10Y = 8/10 - world city

Lawrence, Kansas.
    I'll save you the trouble. Goes to show, though, that you can have a perfectly nice life without being in a world city. For a while.

London, UK.
    1 Y, 2Y, 3 (Y, 4Y, 5Y, 6 YYYYYYYY , 7 hmmm can't think of any, 8 Y, 9 Y, 10 Y = 9/10 - world city
    Life and death of great pattern languages

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally posted by vtboy99
    I live in San Diego, California, and it is not even considered a "regional" city.

I would most definitely nominate Los Angeles to the list of world cities however...
    I live in LA and it defintely hits all the above.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Interesting set of criteria. I won't quibble, just play along.

Toronto

1 - I think so. I would consider the CN Tower to be fairly well known (tallest free-standing structure in the world). Toronto City Hall too maybe. I think the new Libeskind-designed Royal Ontario Museum makeover will also get some attention, for better or worse - at least for a couple of minutes.

2 - Definitely

3 - Definitely

4 - Yes (Royal Ontario Museum, Art Gallery of Ontario, possibly a couple of others)

5 - I'll say yes - The new Opera House should be open later this year.

6 - Yes

7 - Not really...no.

8 - Yes

9 - Lots of major films shot here...Can't think of any of the top of my head where Toronto has been playing itself though so I would say no.

10 - Yes, appartently we do.

Total: 8/10

So, yeah I guess Toronto counts.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2004

Salt Lake City:
    I would certainly say that the LDS Temple is recognized by people throughout the world. It is also the largest single tourist attraction in the state.

2__ Has at least 5 flights per day going to 5 different countries other than the host countryWe qualify here. We have direct flights to Canada, Mexico, and other central/south american countries (some that aren't direct, but originate at Sl International).

Well, Provo has one that seats 65,000, but the larget that is actually in SLC only holds 46,000 although it did hold over 50,000 for the winter olympics.

Yep, The Natural History Museum, The Fine Arts Museum, Pioneer Museum by the capital building, and This is the Place Park (an outdoor museum depicting the life of the first white settlers to Utah. Also the Childrens Museum.

Check.

Possibly, what classifies as major?

Unkown. There are a lot of consumer brands that are based here, but do not know if they originated here.

Check. University of Utah has 35,000 students.

Check.

Right, SLC?

So that is a yes on 1, 2, 4, 5, 8, and 9 with a possible yes on 3 and 6. I don't want to do the research on 7 and 10 is a no (although we do have some pretty cool bars). So at worst, we are an interesting provincial center and at best part of a global village.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Based on those criteria, it looks like San Antonio would qualify. I don't think it should, IMHO, because it lacks that somewhat intangible "it" factor that really makes a world city.

1. The Alamo; many Latin American countries might be familiar with the Torch of Freedom as well (I call it the big red Gumby)

2. I'm not 100% sure on this one, but I seem to recall San Antonio being a major hub for Central America & South America.

3. Alamodome seats 65,000 + or -

4. Witte Museum is an all day affair as well as the McNay. You could spend a full day in the Institute of Texan Cultures as well.

5. uh, no. No opera, but one of the cinemas shows Sundance & foreign films regularly.

6. I don't remember which ones, but I know there are at least three.

7. The Margarita was invented here. I would also make a case for King Ranch Chicken, but I don't know if that is Internationally known or not. Pace Picante sauce.

8. University of Texas at San Antonio has around 26,000 students and offers several Masters & PhD level degrees.

9. The Alamo (the original one, not that piece of s*** remake).

10. Nope.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Boston:
    1 Harvard University, 2 yes, 3 Gillette Stadium, 4 yes, 5 yes, 6 no, 7 baked beans/cream pie/Gillette/Fidelity/Digital, 8 several, 9 yes, 10 yes

Quote Originally posted by Tranplanner
    I would consider the CN Tower to be fairly well known (tallest free-standing structure in the world).
    It looks just like the Seattle Space Needle (at least I think it does), which I would argue is more recognizable.

Toronto City Hall too maybe. I think the new Libeskind-designed Royal Ontario Museum makeover will also get some attention, for better or worse - at least for a couple of minutes.
    Sorry, try again.

Quote Originally posted by cololi
    Check.
    And what would that be? SLC Punk? Hardly a major release.
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 16 Mar 2006 at 2:27 PM. Reason: Triple reply. Please consolidate multiple replies in a single post.

Registered
    May 2003
    Probably not. Sears Tower, perhaps? Daley thinks Millinieum Park will do that. I think most people will see just about anything in Chicago and assume it's in NYC.

Oh good lord yes. We're well on our way to having that many out of MIDWAY, not to mention O'Hare

Yeah, several. I think this is kinda lame though. People put too much emphasis on professional sports.

Several. I'm still browsing the Art Institute galleries whenever I have time.

I'm told that the Chicago Lyric Opera is the best opera in North America (by a professor who digs operas and took a job in Chicago partially because of CLO). We have several arthouse movie theatres that show foreign films, Music Box, Davis, Facets, plus foreign film festivals every year, some sponsored by facets, some by the city.

Just branches? Hell yes. Many banks have major operations here, including LaSalle Bank and Chase (which bought Banc One which used to be headquartered here.)

Is Vienna Beef internationally known? Well, the whole "packaged meat" industry came out of here actually. As far as brands go.. I'm sure there are some but I can't think of any.

U of Chicago, Loyola, UIC, Northwestern, etc.

The Blues Brothers practically made love to Chicago, so did High Fidelity.

That site bleeds "yuppie."
    Reality does not conform to your ideology.
    http://neighborhoods.chicago.il.us Photographs of Life in the Neighborhoods of Chicago
    http://hafd.org/~jordanb/ Pretentious Weblog.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    1__ Has at least one building or work of art in it that a majority of cultured people in other countries would instantly recognize, Yes. RenCen (deathstar), Diego Rivera murals, several of Van Gogh's better works, the Thinker by Rodin

2__ Has at least 5 flights per day going to 5 different countries other than the host country. Heck yes

3__ Has a stadium with a seated capacity of at least 50,000, we have 5: U of M 105k, Pontiac Silverdome 80k, Ford Field 60k, Tiger Stadium 55k, Comerica Park about 50k.

4__ Has at least 2 museums that would take me more than a morning to visit (subjective!) Yes, Henry Ford Museum, Greenfield Village, Detroit Institute of the Arts, Cranbrook.

5__ Has a recognized, full season philharmonic, opera house and at least one cinema that routinely shows films in a foreign language. Yep Orchestra Hall, Opera House, Detroit Film Theatre, and a few indies in the burbs.

6__ Has at least three branches by major international banks located in it. Does ABN-AMBRO count? HQ for Comerica, Has a branch of the Federal Reserve....

7__ Is the original home (or its surrounding region) of an internationally know dish or of an internationally known consumer brand; Coney Island Hot Dogs, Vernors Ginger Ale

8__ Hast least one university with more than 10,000 students that grants post-graduate degrees, WSU, U of M, U of D, LTU, Oakland...

9__ Has had at least one major release filmed there where the location was of more than passing importance; Beverly Hills Cop, Collision Course, Hoffa, 8 Mile, The Island, True Romance, some horror movies that I can;t remember.

aThere are ten, I concur yuppie crap bars. We do have two listed in the best sports bars: Hockeytown, Nemos

Woo Woo We're world class.. I better go tell the mayor!

Quote Originally posted by jordanb
    Is Vienna Beef internationally known? Well, the whole "packaged meat" industry came out of here actually. As far as brands go.. I'm sure there are some but I can't think of any.
    No but there is Wrigley's
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 16 Mar 2006 at 2:28 PM. Reason: double reply
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I'll play along.

1 - Perhaps. There are a few notable structures in our already notable skyline, but Philip Johnson's PPG Placeis probably the most recognizable.

2 - No, thank you very much USAirways.

3 - Yes, some bunch of Super Bowl champions plays there.

4 - Yes.

5 - Yes, Yes, and Yes.

6 - Yes, depending on what you mean by " Major international bank"

7 - Yes, the Big Mac. Klondike Bars. Heinz, American Eagle Outfitters, US Steel, etc...

8 - Yes

9 - Yes, the zombies still haven't left.

10 - No, the locals prefer them unknown and scroungy.

Well, somebody should alert the Chamber of Commerce 'cause it looks like we've gone international.
    Last edited by biscuit; 16 Mar 2006 at 2:07 PM.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    If by "my town" you mean the Bay Area (San Francisco=Metro), then:

1__ Has at least one building or work of art in it that a majority of cultured people in other countries would instantly recognize.

YES-Transamerica Tower, San Francisco Victorian Vernacular

Yes. From both Oakland International and San Francisco International Airports. Probably San Jose's Minetta Field, also.

Yes. Monster Field, SBC Park

Well....MOMA might, depending on the travelling show in question or your interest in their (excellent) photography collection. The new Copper Behemoth (DeYoung) would probably warrant your time.

5__ Has a recognized, full season philharmonic, opera house and at least one
    cinema that routinely shows films in a foreign language

Definitely. Several orchestras and cinemas.

Yes.

Gap. Sourdough Bread. California Cuisine

Several, including UC Berkeley, UC San Francisco, Stanford

Bullett? (LOL)

Registered
    Feb 2006
    I'm not sure where I am...or where I want to be
    no, but I prefer it that way.
    I like living in a quieter, smaller city; and then I can go visit a world city, and go back home when it gets to be too much.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by jmello
    And what would that be? SLC Punk? Hardly a major release.
    http://film.utah.gov/apps/shot_in_ut...w.php?letter=a This lists all of the movies filmed in UT. The majority of them, particularly those shot in the 90's were based in SLC. The film industry is actually pretty big in UT, as the list demonstrates. A sample: Independence Day, Con Air, The Worlds Fastest Indian, A life Less Ordinany, etc.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by jordanb
    Probably not. Sears Tower, perhaps? Daley thinks Millinieum Park will do that. I think most people will see just about anything in Chicago and assume it's in NYC.
    I still think you have to be a moron not to tell the difference betewen the N.Y. skyline and Chicago skyline, but whatever...the rest of the world is stupid I guess.

Several. I'm still browsing the Art Institute galleries whenever I have time.
    And there's only one basketball team that used their city's art museum so prominently in its starting lineup intro.

I'm told that the Chicago Lyric Opera is the best opera in North America (by a professor who digs operas and took a job in Chicago partially because of CLO). We have several arthouse movie theatres that show foreign films, Music Box, Davis, Facets, plus foreign film festivals every year, some sponsored by facets, some by the city.
    There's even an Indian movie theater in Des Plaines.

You can't forget deep dish pizza. Giordano's, Gino's East, anyone?

The Blues Brothers practically made love to Chicago, so did High Fidelity.
    You can't forget Chicago, Home Alone, and Ferris Bueller's Day Off
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Mar 2005
    A sample: Independence Day, Con Air, The Worlds Fastest Indian, A life Less Ordinany, etc.
    The question referred to major release films in which the city was actively portrayed as itself. That is why Toronto or Vancouver would also not qualify.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Um hello Washington DC meets all of these and then some Happy to live here
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

I would certainly say that the LDS Temple is recognized by people throughout the world.
    Maybe mormons throughout the world? I have no idea what the LDS temple in SLC looks like. I know the one in Maryland because it's visible every time you drive down the DC beltway and looks totally ridiculous. I'd imagine it's similar, but I really haven't seen photos.

Registered
    Dec 2003

Hmmm... perhaps the butt ugly torch from the 1996 Olympics would count.

World's busiest airport... think we have that one covered

Georgia Dome and Grant Field both qualify

The High Museum of Art, Fernbank Natural History Museum, and the Georgia Aquarium (if you count that as a museum) should all take more than a morning to go through... though probably not much more.

Our symphony is well known and we're raising funds for a new $300,000,000 home for it. The opera isn't doing as well since it can't find a permanent venue that is suitable for opera. They're moving to a new "arts center" in the suburbs. There are several art house type cinemas that routinely show foreign films.

Don't know what they are but I'm sure Atlanta qualifies.

Coca-Cola

Georgia Tech, Georgia State and Emory would all qualify.

"ATL" is being released nationwide this month. Can't think of any movies in the past in which Atlanta was both an important part of the setting and the movie was considered major.
    Got six bars on the list, two of which I think are way overrated.
    As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron. - H.L. Mencken

Montreal fulfills many of these criterias, though some more infamously than famously.

I don't think it's a world city though. There was a time when it could have been, but went the wrong way.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by AubieTurtle
    Our symphony is well known and we're raising funds for a new $300,000,000 home for it. The opera isn't doing as well since it can't find a permanent venue that is suitable for opera. They're moving to a new "arts center" in the suburbs. There are several art house type cinemas that routinely show foreign films.
    Have any old movie theatres downtown? We lengthend the stage of ours for quite a bit and now it makes a wonderful venue, and it helped to stabilize our theatre district. It also has higher end acts to help keep a steady flow of money for the opera company.

http://www.motopera.org/doh/history.html
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Georgia Dome and Grant Field both qualify
    Off-topic:
    The 2003 expansion of Grant Field did get its capacity over 50,000, but the only time Tech can get close to a sell-out at "The Joke by Coke" is when they play UGA...if you go to Tech's official athletics website and check out the info page for Grant Field, the aerial photo they have posted to show the stadium at full capacity is from a Tech - UGA football game - and the stands are a sea of UGA red.

Can't think of any movies in the past in which Atlanta was both an important part of the setting and the movie was considered major.
    I think that Gone With the Wind might qualify for this one, maybe?

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Um... nope. I think we are in podunkville, but, that is the way I like it! I am a little less than an hour from three large cities though if I want "culture".

Registered
    Sep 2001
    7 - Not really...no.

8So, yeah I guess Toronto counts.
    What Roots and Club Monaco and Four Seasons Hotels don't count?
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I'd give Orlando a 5, but just 'cos we got lucky and have instantly recognizable buildings like Cinderella's castle and Tower of Terror...

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 18
    Last post: 09 Nov 2010, 8:11 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last post: 28 Jun 2006, 9:50 AM
  3. World town planning day
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 08 Nov 2004, 4:22 PM
  4. World Town Planning Day