Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: 2006 Major League Baseball trash talk thread!

Registered
    Mar 2006
    I brought my broom to work this morning. Unfortunately our office Cards fan took the day off. Figures...

Here I was, had already given up...we are not dead, yet. Passed the Devil Rays in the standing...
    Bring on Spring Training...

Quote Originally posted by LadyBuc
    I brought my broom to work this morning. Unfortunately our office Cards fan took the day off. Figures...

Here I was, had already given up...we are not dead, yet. Passed the Devil Rays in the standing...
    That's what I love about Small Bear fans: sweeping my Cards is a big deal because that's pretty much all there'll be for this season. I'd say 'see you in October' but that would just be cruel.

Registered
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker
    That's what I love about Small Bear fans: sweeping my Cards is a big deal because that's pretty much all there'll be for this season. I'd say 'see you in October' but that would just be cruel.
    You're planning on being there is October???
    Ok, you may be able to "show up" in the 10th month, but you are definitely not "staying"...

And, yes: it's always fun beating STL, but SWEEPING is pure ecstasy

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    I am not even talking trash today...I do love my Cards but this weekend sucked...

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Can we just give David Ortiz the AL MVP trophy now?

Amazing how he comes through sooooo often in the big, late, clutch situations.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Jaxspra
    I am not even talking trash today...I do love my Cards but this weekend sucked...
    Welcome to my world...normally

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Braves getting sweep by the Mets are not a good way to make up ground Bubba I hope you weren't there to see that - I saw aprts of each game on TV and thats all I could take.
    Hopefully Wickman & Baez will take care of bullpen issues, but need to climb over 6 teams in the Wildcard race.

Zman - keep talking your Rocks down. Reports say they did good things with the trades and they are above us in the Wildcard right now
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Come to Poppy...

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Planit
    Zman - keep talking your Rocks down. Reports say they did good things with the trades and they are above us in the Wildcard right now
    Seems they win when I say nothing (lately), so I will keep saying nothing...

...wait a minute, did i just say something...

on no... gotta go!
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Planit
    Braves getting sweep by the Mets are not a good way to make up ground Bubba I hope you weren't there to see that - I saw aprts of each game on TV and thats all I could take.
    Hopefully Wickman & Baez will take care of bullpen issues, but need to climb over 6 teams in the Wildcard race.
    Mercifully, I was not at The Ted for any of the games against the Mets - I was just sitting in front of the TV shaking my head. The bullpen looks a lot more solid these days, if the starters can just manage to keep things in check like Smoltz did last night...
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Went to the Cards game yesterday afternoon with my oldest son. It was his first time in the new stadium and the first game he was old enough to really enjoy and not get fidgety. It was jus thim and I and I had one of the best afternoons I have had in a LONG, LONG time!!!
    Oh and BTW the Cards WON!!! 2 homers yesterday, Jacob got to see the fireworks shoot out of the stadium...fun, fun!!

Go CARDS!!!

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Play-Off Question

This Bear has a question for the baseball fans out there in Cyburbiaville.....

Should the first round of the baseball play-offs be a seven-game series?

The Mighty Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Tide
    Originally posted 4/4/06

Who do I like, hmmm so early.

NL:

East: Mets (it their 3-5 pitching comes through)
    Cental: Cards
    West: Padres (I think the pitching is really good and decent power)
    Wild: Braves or LA

Astros are going to have a hard time gaining runs and they have some unproven pitchers. Cubs also will put up a good fight but I think they lack the power as in past years, Lee and Ramirez will have to have banner years like last year. I like the Reds to be a spoiler all year missing the wildcard by about 3-5 games but I think many teams will take them lightly and have problems with them.

AL:

East: Sox
    Central: Sox
    West: LA/Seattle
    Wild: Yankees/Toronto/Seattle/LA will be a 4 horse battle to the end with the one with the least injuries pulling it out.

Yankees: I think if their knees can stay under them they will be fine, again middle relief is a question mark, get to them early and you get the W. Seattle, I like the team with the addition of Beltre and Everett only if that starting pitching can do what it has done 2 and 3 years ago. LA a solid team with quite possibly the best relievers in baseball and tons of power, starting pitching may be a question mark though. Toronto will surprise many I think with a good starting corp and plenty of run producers. Minnesota is the oldest team in baseball (just eyeballing it) and will fade late in the season.
    Let's see how I'm doing just past midway.

Predicted/Actual/Comments

NL:
    East: Mets / Mets / Keep going strong despite injuries
    Central: Cards / Cards / Slim 3.5 game lead in a surprisingly even Central division
    West: Padres / Padres / With only 2 game lead on LA and AZ the west will go down to the last game.
    Wild: Braves or LA / Cincinatti (who I said would be a spoiler playing their role) with a 8 team battle for the wild card this is exactly what baseball needs.

AL:
    East: BoSox / Yank / Sox only 2 games back with 9 or 11 games between them left I stick with the Sox
    Central: ChiSox / Detroit / Who knew? Sox in second place bu 9 games back and probably too far out
    West: LA or Seattle / Oakland / LA 3 games out, Seattle well even with a loosing record are only 6.5 games out who knows?
    Wild: 4 way battle Yanks, Toronto, Seattle, LA / ChiSox / 3 way battle BoSox/ChiSox/LA

Updated predictions

NL:
    East: Mets by 10-15 games over either Phillies or Braves will coast into the playoffs and we'll see where their players are then, could be another NY team winning this year
    Central: Cincinatti could pull it off, Cards are actually human this year and will be a 2 team race, have to wait to see what the head to head games between those two bring.
    West: Still like the Padres with thier paper thin lead, Arizona doesn't belong that high and LA could challange them, Again, depends on the late season H2H games with LA and SD
    Wild: Most likely coming out of the west unless the Cards and Reds split their head to head serise then it'll be one of those two teams.

AL:
    East: BoSox, still standing by them with a much more secure pitching staff, but the Yankees have added some power with Abreu to get them through this injury plagued year. Will be some of the best head to head match ups this fall.
    Central: Can anyone catch Detroit? Easily cruise into the playoffs ready to do some damage
    West: Oakland/LA? I still don't know. Haven't been impressed with OK all year but in a weak division anything is possible.
    Wild: Deffinetly coming out of the Central with Minn. coming on really strong right now and proabably knocking ChiSox out, BoSox or Yankees will be looking out by 1 game.
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North
    This Bear has a question for the baseball fans out there in Cyburbiaville.....

Should the first round of the baseball play-offs be a seven-game series?

The Mighty Bear
    I think the first round should be 7 games. A team can ride 2 good pitchers through the first round. Plus if a team gets swept on the road they come facing elimination. Recoving from a 2-0 deficit in a best of 7 is doable but being down 2-0 in a best of 5 leaves no room for error.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Aug 2005
    It was probably a foregone conclusion, Planit, but the 2006 Braves are officially dead in the water after yesterday afternoon’s debacle. The rebuilt back-end of the bullpen does absolutely no good when the middle relief gives up eight runs in an inning.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Bubba
    It was probably a foregone conclusion, Planit, but the 2006 Braves are officially dead in the water after yesterday afternoon’s debacle. The rebuilt back-end of the bullpen does absolutely no good when the middle relief gives up eight runs in an inning.
    Yep, my brother and I were talking about it this weekend after the Brewers took 2 of 3 in the TED . I think you can put a fork in 'em...

Oh well, after 15 years, its time for someone else to look from the top...
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Mar 2004

Hey RJ

How about them Dodgers!!!!!
    You darn tootin', I like fig newtons!

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by sisterceleste
    How about them Dodgers!!!!!
    Smartass. Do I have to remind you:

http://www.dodgerblues.com/

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Gotta question for the bear. Are those the footsteps of the white sox you hear behind you?
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Dodgers? Giants?

Winning 3 of their last 4, and finally waking up the bats, the Rocks will be closing in.

In fact, aren't the Giants LAST in the NL West?

Ducks. Runs.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Wow! Now that the Red Sox are 7 games back and have only won 8 games in the month of August, they are really setting us all up for one spectacular come from behind victory!!!

Oh well. . . Go Tigers, or White Sox or somebody!

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by boiker View post
    Gotta question for the bear. Are those the footsteps of the white sox you hear behind you?
    Sorry I am late in responding.....

Yeah, footsteps of Twins and Whie Sox. Tigers have hit the slump we expected. But, we expected the slump to end. It keeps rearing its' ugly head. If they don't get back to business, they could make history as one of the greatest collapses in baseball history. Go Tigers.....get back on track.

This Bear is old enough to remember a Philadelpha crash and burn, back in the 1960's. They had something like a 9-game lead in mid-September and lost a boatload of games and did not make the World Series. (No playoffs back then.)

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I've sure enjoyed watching the SF Giants play the Braves on TNN tonight. I don't get to see my team much.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    I've sure enjoyed watching the SF Giants play the Braves on TNN tonight. I don't get to see my team much.
    ...and your Giants loosing 2 of 3 to the Bravos looked good too.

Yo Bubba, the next two weeks are do or die --- 3 @ Philly, 3 @ NYM, 4 w/ Cubbies, 3 w/ Philly, 3 w/ Phish. --- for the Bravos. We're 4.5 behind in the NLWildcard, but still have to climb over 7 teams. Still hanging on the a sliver of hope!

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    .Yo Bubba, the next two weeks are do or die --- 3 @ Philly, 3 @ NYM, 4 w/ Cubbies, 3 w/ Philly, 3 w/ Phish. --- for the Bravos. We're 4.5 behind in the NLWildcard, but still have to climb over 7 teams. Still hanging on the a sliver of hope!
    Barely a sliver of hope anymore...would be nice to see the Braves take 13 or 14 out of those next 16 games (I can always dream). I just think it's way too many teams to pass with too few games left...

...taking 2 of 3 from the Giants and "Roid Rage" Bonds is always good, though

+ Reply to thread
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 295
    Last post: 01 Nov 2013, 11:29 AM
  2. Replies: 272
    Last post: 15 Nov 2012, 7:30 PM
  3. Replies: 329
    Last post: 03 Nov 2010, 12:02 PM
  4. Replies: 228
    Last post: 06 Nov 2009, 12:28 PM
  5. Replies: 251