Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: 2006 Major League Baseball trash talk thread!

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Yo, LadyBuc, this is what RJ is wearing today:

Surprise, surprise!

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Mr. S.C. is wearing a shirt that says "Jesus Hates the Yankees"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    You darn tootin', I like fig newtons!

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by sisterceleste View post
    Mr. S.C. is wearing a shirt that says "Jesus Hates the Yankees"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Yeah, that is sooooo Catholic..... Repent!

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Can the Cubs simply forfeit the remaining games of the season? It's getting painful to watch.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    The Bravos lost three straight to the Rockies this weekend. A fitting end to 14 years of winning NLD Championships.

ZMan, I'll buy you a somwtime...

I know f'ball season is just starting, but baseball is still going strong. As we type, there's one more week of the regular season now. Checking back to the few bold Cyburbians that actually made predictions at the beginning of the season it looks like:

Tide and Lady Buc had the Mets winning the NL East.
    Gedunker, Planit and Tide had the Cardinals in the NL Central
    Gedunker & Planit had the Dodgers and Tide & LabyBuc had the Padres for the NL West (still bascially undecided)
    Gedunker had the Phillies in the Wildcard

Nobody picked the Damnyankees winning the AL East
    Nobody picked the Tigers or Twins winning the AL Central (Although Bear had the Tigers in 4th place)
    Planit had theAthletics [/COLOR]winning the AL West
    Tide covered by selecting several AL Wildcard winners

Start your World Series predictions now (a clean slate for those who already did).
    Hoping for Mets over Tigers, but more realistically it maybe the Damnyankees over the Dodgers (how I hate typing that)
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    TIGERS WILL WIN IT ALL! When all the other teams quit...
    Who knew!
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    The Bravos lost three straight to the Rockies this weekend. A fitting end to 14 years of winning NLD Championships.

ZMan, I'll buy you a somwtime...

I know f'ball season is just starting, but baseball is still going strong. As we type, there's one more week of the regular season now. Checking back to the few bold Cyburbians that actually made predictions at the beginning of the season it looks like:

Tide and Lady Buc had the Mets winning the NL East.
    Gedunker, Planit and Tide had the Cardinals in the NL Central
    Gedunker & Planit had the Dodgers and Tide & LabyBuc had the Padres for the NL West (still bascially undecided)
    Gedunker had the Phillies in the Wildcard

Nobody picked the Damnyankees winning the AL East
    Nobody picked the Tigers or Twins winning the AL Central (Although Bear had the Tigers in 4th place)
    Planit had theAthletics [/COLOR]winning the AL West
    Tide covered by selecting several AL Wildcard winners

Start your World Series predictions now (a clean slate for those who already did).
    Hoping for Mets over Tigers, but more realistically it maybe the Damnyankees over the Dodgers (how I hate typing that)
    I had the Brewers missing the playoffs again!

They had a shot at it, but I didn't think that they'd make it. They are young and do have a nucleus that they can build on (as long as they get rid of Turnbow as flameout fireball reliever), though.

Mike

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Go Tigers !!!

It really has been a long time since the Detroit Tigers had some playoff fun. Something like 19 years.....this Bear had a few more strands of hair back then.

Yes, I am suprised.....I consider the MLB American Central to be a tough division, with the World Series' champ White Sox, a Cleveland team that expected MORE this season, and the always tough Twins.

Go Tigers !!!

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Oh, I'm worried about my Cardinals. Stan, Bob, Lou, Vince, Darryl, Lee, Whitey, where are you in our hour of need?

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    Oh, I'm worried about my Cardinals. Stan, Bob, Lou, Vince, Darryl, Lee, Whitey, where are you in our hour of need?
    Your Cards have turned into a train wreck all of a sudden - at least the fall of the Braves was visible back in May. Is it possible to have MLB playoffs without both Bobby Cox and Tony LaRussa?
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Quote Originally posted by Bubba View post
    Your Cards have turned into a train wreck all of a sudden - at least the fall of the Braves was visible back in May. Is it possible to have MLB playoffs without both Bobby Cox and Tony LaRussa?
    Well, El Hombre got us off the schnied last night, but the 'Stros managed a 15-inning win in Steel City. Bubba, your B-Men could do us a huge favor this weekend. Wadda ya say?

'Dunker -- doing the Tomahawk Chop all weekend long.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    Well, El Hombre got us off the schnied last night, but the 'Stros managed a 15-inning win in Steel City. Bubba, your B-Men could do us a huge favor this weekend. Wadda ya say?
    Dunno - 25 runs in the last two games against the Mets - there might not be any left for the weekend. The one thing going in your favor is that Los Bravos know that they need a win tonight and a sweep of the Astros to get back to .500 for the season.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    May 2003

Go Tigers !!!

Well, in a post in mid-Summer, NHPlanner indicated that the Detroit Tigers were not a strong baseball club. As the season drew to a close, his comments were not that far off.....a horrible below-500 average for the second half of the season.

It is a new season.....the weekend sweep by the Royals popped the Tigers onto the road, for games against the dreaded New York Yankees. I think I know baseball fans......most people in this land who follow baseball will be cheering for the underdog Tigers.

Not that they love the Tigers.....a common hate of the Yankees.

Detroit's pitching will have to get back on track and the team will have to get back in to the groove of hitting with men on base. Fundamentals!

Go Tigers !!!

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Many thanks go to the Colorado Rockies. Thanks for another mediocre year.

Actually, the Rocks did get the State excited for a couple weeks there!
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    May 2003
    Thursday evening and the Detroit Tigers have held on, with some great relief pitching, and beat the New York Yankees, 4-3. Series tied at 1-1. A split is what the Tigers hoped for against a team that is playing with a lineup that includes every single person having been in an All Star Game. On to Tiger Stadium.....er, I mean Comerica Park.....

Go Tigers !!!
    _____

If you are baseball fans and you have HBO you probably have watched some of the specials presented by that network over the years. One of the specials focused on the deadly race riots in Detroit in 1967 (33 dead) and the way the city came together, black and white, to cheer on the Tigers in 1968. It was a very good television program.

Another focused on the Chicago Cubs and their futility over the years. Many famous entertainer-type Cubie fans contributed comments, especially when the focus was on the season a few years ago when Chicago's north side squad was just a few outs away from going to the World Series.

The special included film clips of the poor dude who caught (touched?) the baseball that "supposedly" started the slide back into futility. Another fine TV presentation.

HBO has done some other programs on baseball and they have been quite good. Somebody in their programming department likes baseball and the history that goes with it.

BTW.....Go Tigers !!!

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    TIGERS WIN !
    yankees go home.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    May 2003

Bring On Oakland !!!!!

Who-ho! The Detroit Tigers, the laughingstock of major league baseball just 3 seasons back, have moved into the American League's Championship Round. The New York Yankees were effectively dispatched via superb pitching and timely and effective hitting. The sports writers and sports fans who wrote off the Tigers while pondering who the Yanks would battle in the second round of the playoffs are now quiet......all is well (at this point) in the land of Ty Cobb, Al Kaline, and Jack Morris.

Contributions from Toledo Mud Hens who moved to "the bigs" helped the cause, rabid fans who are 19-years hungry for success helped the cause, and Perrysburg, OH native son Jim Leyland helped the cause.

Go Tigers !!!

Me thinks that heads will be rolling in Yankee Land. Oddly enough, their post season success in the last 10 years or so nearly mirrors the Detroit Red Wings' hockey post season success.....very strong regular seasons, Vegas money on their chances for cups and trophys, early elimination from playoffs.

OK, cheering is over.....time to focus on the next round. The Oakland Athletics were not supposed to use the broom and sweep the hottest team in the second half of the 2006 season, Minnesota. Sweep they did and they are now getting set to host the first two games against the Tigers. Focus, Tigers.....
    _____

The Athletics were once a Kansas City ball team, owned by Charles Finley (sic?). He had a farm located in northern Indiana, viewable from the Indiana Toll Road. A barn on his property had a giant "A's" painted on the roof. In the 1960's and 1970's I was a regular traveler on this highway.....I remember the giant logo.
    _____

Go Tigers !!!

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Who's worried about the Cards?????
    STL was hopppin last evening.....go CARDS!!!!

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005

Any team that beats the Yankees is a good team...

I'm just so happy the Yankees are out of it and now into their 6th year without winning...

Registered
    May 2003

Go Get 'Em Tigers !!!

Hey, DetroitPlanner.....

Surely a dude who works in Detroit city knows the words to the Tiger song:

"We're all behind our baseball team....go get 'em, Tigers! World Series bound and comin' on strong.....go get 'em Tigers!"

It has been a long time since I hummed that tune.
    _____

Anybody happen to catch Ernie Harwell doing the play-by-play of the Detroit-New York Friday night game? He did about an inning of P-B-P, sitting in the booth with the other regular announcers.

If you are a fan of baseball you know Ernie, you recognize his distinctive voice, you remember him calling games for the Tigers (for years) and calling some playoffs and World Series. You know his trademark phrases, including.....

"Stood there like the house beside of the road." (Dude just struck out.)

and.....

"That foul ball was caught by a boy from Portage." (Until we figured it out, we thought he really DID know everybody the ball was hit to.)

I met Mr. Harwell at a dinner a couple years ago. What a gentleman.
    _____

Go Tigers !!!

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I've been trying to keep out of this, yes I remember that one all too well. Its no Forward down the field, but it is a classic.

I do remember Al Akerman's "Bless You Boys" song the best. I was a young adult in 1984 and spent every night in front of the ball park. I saw the first game of the world series from the bleachers. I was also at Tiger Stadium's last game. I saw that from the bleachers too, and sat only a few seats from where my father and I watched the WS back in 1984.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Just want to wish the CARDS good luck today against the Mets....GO CARDS!!!!!!!

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Jaxspra View post
    Just want to wish the CARDS good luck today against the Mets....GO CARDS!!!!!!!
    A group of my friends and I are going to the Thursday night game !!! I bought a new Tshirt and all just for it! Can't wait, set me back $85 but it's worth it, not often the Mets are in the post season, but maybe we'll start a dynasty.
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Aug 2005
    If I could muster any sort of interest in the NLCS (I'm still sulking about the Braves missing the playoffs for the first time in two centuries), I'd probably root for the Cards because:

1. The Mets suck; and
    2. I want my prediction from April to be true:

Quote Originally posted by Bubba
    Have to say that the Cards look like the team to beat in the NL this year...

Quote Originally posted by Tide View post
    A group of my friends and I are going to the Thursday night game !!! I bought a new Tshirt and all just for it! Can't wait, set me back $85 but it's worth it, not often the Mets are in the post season, but maybe we'll start a dynasty.
    What's the possibility of a rain-out tonight? (Fingers crossed in hopes that we might be able to move Carp up to a Game 2 start and have him again in G6).

No offense meant, but Shea is a disgrace of a ballpark. Bad seats, LaGuardia, horrible concessions. Gets my vote for the worst facility in MLB. The Metropolitans are pretty durned good, tho.

+ Reply to thread
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 295
    Last post: 01 Nov 2013, 11:29 AM
  2. Replies: 272
    Last post: 15 Nov 2012, 7:30 PM
  3. Replies: 329
    Last post: 03 Nov 2010, 12:02 PM
  4. Replies: 228
    Last post: 06 Nov 2009, 12:28 PM
  5. Replies: 251