Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: 2006 Major League Baseball trash talk thread!

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    What's the possibility of a rain-out tonight? (Fingers crossed in hopes that we might be able to move Carp up to a Game 2 start and have him again in G6).

No offense meant, but Shea is a disgrace of a ballpark. Bad seats, LaGuardia, horrible concessions. Gets my vote for the worst facility in MLB. The Metropolitans are pretty durned good, tho.

Don't know about tonight, pretty cloudy here now, as long as tommorow is dry that's all I care about.

2008 new ballpark coming much like the former Polo Grounds (not that I know much about the Polo Grounds, just heard from my dad). The thing I hate about Shea is getting in and out, but we're all using the train and subway, haven't done it before but will be fine.
    @GigCityPlanner

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Tide View post
    A group of my friends and I are going to the Thursday night game !!! I bought a new Tshirt and all just for it! Can't wait, set me back $85 but it's worth it, not often the Mets are in the post season, but maybe we'll start a dynasty.
    I sure hope it was a Cardinal shirt you bought The Mets are gonna get BEAT GO CARDS!!! I just want them to get back home so I can head to the ballpark!!!! I don't think I have ever been to as many games as I got to go to this summer!! A friend is August's personal assisstant and another friend is regional sales mananger and keeper of the scoreboard free tickets aren't too hard to come by

GO CARDS!!!!!!

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Bubba View post
    If I could muster any sort of interest in the NLCS (I'm still sulking about the Braves missing the playoffs for the first time in two centuries)...
    Apparently I'm not the only one around here that's lost interest in the playoffs - the television ratings for the divisional series broadcasts in Atlanta are down 68% from last year. Apparently we're all Braves fans, but not baseball fans.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Put a fork in Oakland, there done.

Tigers could finish it up on Friday with the sweep!
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Go Tigers !!!

This Bear is not quite ready to put that fork in Oakland. The A's were actually within a few hits of tying or winning the first two games. Yes, a sweep would be great.....but I would rather see the Tigers win game 3, lose game 4, and win game 5.

I would not want to start the World Series (against the Mets, Jax ) with a 7-game winning streak. (Law of averages, "we were due", etc. type of irrational thinking.)

Kenny Rogers will be gambling on Friday. Woo-hoo!
    _____

My son is in the lottery to get World Series ducats. Hope he does, I have never been to a World Series game. Folks I work with have been to a couple.

Go Tigers !!!

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Quote Originally posted by Bubba View post
    Apparently I'm not the only one around here that's lost interest in the playoffs - the television ratings for the divisional series broadcasts in Atlanta are down 68% from last year. Apparently we're all Braves fans, but not baseball fans.
    Still watchin' because its baseball Bubba, but I do turn it off about the 7th inning or so and wait for a final score in the morning.

Have you seen the commercials where Tommy Lasorda is getting fans of other teams to watch the playoffs even though their team is out. MLB is sure trying to keep interest going...in Atlanta, they're excited about the Dirty Birds.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Sep 2001

Tender, but not fork tender.....

for the A's. Last nights game was a nail biter with Jones in and guys on 1, 2 , 3. Ouch. That would have driven in the winning run.

I had the supreme exprience of being at Comerica Park for the first home game against the Yankees. Let me tell you, it was OUT. OF. CONTROL. I even bought a jersey. My dad and brother were with me and all day my brother kept saying "I can't believe we're going to a Tiger Game in OCTOBER!!!"

I just got butterflies thinking about it. My dad is also in the Lottery for WS tickets. Dang it, I wanted to PAY DOWN the credit card.............

Sitting in DTX the next day watching Game 2 was nuts, called my brother prior to boarding to have him tape the game. Man, I can't imagine being in the Motor City on Friday!!!!!
    I wonder if birds know it's Tuesday?

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Unfortunately I didn't get to see my Cards kick some booty last night...but tonight its ON!!!! Go Cards!!!!

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Game 1, Mets 1 - Cards Zippo

Pretty good game, but it didn't have the feeling in person of a pitchers duel, too many full counts and 7 or 8 pitch at bats. But all it took was one Jeff Weaver mistake and one Carlos Beltran Homer later Mets win 2-0. Glavine was 'good enough' getting 2 double plays, and 2 stupid base running errors that led to them by the Cards. I would have been happy with 6 solid from Glavine but he went 7, Mota for the 8th and Wagner for the always intersting close. Can't wait to see what tonight brings, hopefully the bats are more awake.
    @GigCityPlanner

I never thought I'd write: I wish I could have just one Jeff Weaver pitch back. Weaver was terrific last night -- got ahead in the count consistently, moved the ball all around the plate, changed speed well. Then he misses --big time -- to Beltran. Still, if anyone had told me we'd hold the Metropolitans to two runs, I'd have to thunk we had a durned good chance to win.

So we go with our ace tonight and hope the bats come to life.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I'm still pretty confident the Red Sox will win it all this year. Sure they're not in the playoffs but if there's a will there's a way!

Seriously, it would be nice to see Detroit do what Chicago did last year.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I wirk a short walking distance to the Detroit Stadium, the 4:30 start today has put this cold town into quite a buzz. Its going to be a fun night, but I won't be around for it. I had enough of that back in 1984 and 1987.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Sep 2001
    This is what I just sent to our City Attorney about his comment on "Tigers in 4".

I'd like to believe that (Tigers in 4), but the A's where pretty strong last time - Tigers lead 8 to 5, bottom of the ninth, A's with bases loaded, two outs, 3-2 count and that HUGE man at bat and Jones closing. Scary. Pop fly to shallow infield. Out.

Zumaya is out with a strained wrist, Casey down with a torn calf, but we still have the depth and balance AND we're at home so our young pitchers should not get rattled by the fans. I'm thinking W, L, W. Sweep would possibly put an over confidence in the team that even Leyland might not be able to calm, and going in against the Cards/Mets that might not be a good thing.

Yeah, I've got to run home at lunch and set up the VCR since the game now starts at 130pm PST. Luckily we get AM radio for the game in this Government Box.

Registered
    Mar 2004

Snore......

ZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.........snort...........smack..................grumble................ZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...........gork..........huh..........wah............baseball..................oh.................how'd the Rockies do this season???..............oh........................ZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

until next season..............
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    May 2003
    Question for The One.....you really snoring or just pining for Z-Man?

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    TIGERS WIN Classic - bottom of the 9th, score tied
    4-0 Games Over the A's

How happy are you BEAR ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    TIGERS WIN
    4-0 Over the A's
    Great game!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    You darn tootin', I like fig newtons!

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    What's this baseball thing that you speak of?

By the... has anyone seen my fork? I seem to have lost it someplace in this thread.

Now, if only Detroit were to get a pro football team. I guess they will have to continue driving to Ann Arbor.
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    Now, if only Detroit were to get a pro football team. I guess they will have to continue driving to Ann Arbor.
    You forgot about the Wayne State Warriors!!!!

Maybe Catholic Central?
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    What about them Mets.....NOT!
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    May 2003

22 Years Ago Saturday

Yesterday the Detroit Tigers finished their 4-game sweep of the Oakland Athletics, moving the baseball boys from Tigertown (usually called "Hockeytown") into the World Series, for the first time since 1984.

This Bear actually has a VCR tape of this Bear being interviewed at a local Toledo bar (go figure ) after the Tigers had polished off the San Diego Padres to win the 1984 World Series. A local television channel was filming game five in The Dugout (now closed, due to death of owner a few years ago).

This Bear was filmed jumping up in the air and yelling as the final out was made. I knocked the ball cap from my friend Marcia's head when I jumped up and waved my arms. Then, the TV spot goes to two people being interviewed....I was the second.

Watching it now, 22 years ago to the day yesterday, I notice that I have this thing called HAIR, and it is NOT GREY.

BTW.....I had been drinking mixed drinks during the whole game and it is a wonder that I was as coherent on the tube as I came across.

Congratulations to the Detroit Tigers! On to the World Series!

Go Tigers!

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Funny you should say that Bear, I'm pretty sure that I saw you in this video on youtube (for you in office environments turn it down cuz it is loud!) about the Tiger's in 1984!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69q8nvI8ZTo

What kills me about this is the cost of parking was $4 to park right next to the stadium, and I was able to get into a game; the ticket for the bleachers cost $15. I can repemeber driving down with my mom's cousins for ishpeming and these guys were brawling in front of a strip bar on michigan ave, just pummelling each other. They wanted to stop!

Registered
    Feb 2003
    I was delivering the Detroit News in 1984. Just off of Gratiot and 6 Mile Road. Nothing could top the parties (riots, if you will) that following the Tigers World Series victory....unless, I guess, if you count the subsequent Devil's Night....

memories

Go Tigers!!!!!!!!!

Registered
    Sep 2001

Tigers

Yeah, that was a pretty great game on Saturday. It was nice to see the replay of Magglios face once it all sunk in what he had just done and what they had just done. Wonderful.

Now I hear that my brother got FOUR tickets to the game on Saturday!!! Nuts. Wish I could fly back............oh well.

The 'other series' is getting pretty good too.........

Registered
    May 2003

Go Tigers !!!

Great video, DetroitPlanner. I looked for ME on the video.....didn't see ME. I did see thousands of rabid fans, happy folks, celebrating a successful season.

This Bear attended quite a few Tiger games in 1984. Never saw a loss at "the corner" in that season. In one game, Oakland ran out of pitchers so they brought in their shortstop to pitch. Always had a few drinks at Hoot's. Always said "Hi" to Hoot and acted like we knew him.

In the 1968 season I attended a ton of games. I was just a couple years out of high school and was crazy for a team that included Al Kaline, Mickey Lolich, Denny McClain, Norm Cash, etc. I always tried to go to doubleheaders. Anybody old enough to remember "doubleheaders"? (No funny sex-related responses, please.....this is a family show..... )

In the 1950's at Tiger Stadium.....called Brigg's Stadium back then.....I had a chance to see Ted Williams hit a home run.
    _____

Makes me very happy to again have some Tigerjoy!

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

+ Reply to thread
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 11 12 13 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 295
    Last post: 01 Nov 2013, 11:29 AM
  2. Replies: 272
    Last post: 15 Nov 2012, 7:30 PM
  3. Replies: 329
    Last post: 03 Nov 2010, 12:02 PM
  4. Replies: 228