Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: 2006 Major League Baseball trash talk thread!

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    go Red Sox!

looking for another choke of the new century from the Yankees - woo-hoo

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Who do I like, hmmm so early.

NL:

East: Mets (it their 3-5 pitching comes through)
    Cental: Cards
    West: Padres (I think the pitching is really good and decent power)
    Wild: Braves or LA

Astros are going to have a hard time gaining runs and they have some unproven pitchers. Cubs also will put up a good fight but I think they lack the power as in past years, Lee and Ramirez will have to have banner years like last year. I like the Reds to be a spoiler all year missing the wildcard by about 3-5 games but I think many teams will take them lightly and have problems with them.

AL:

East: Sox
    Central: Sox
    West: LA/Seattle
    Wild: Yankees/Toronto/Seattle/LA will be a 4 horse battle to the end with the one with the least injuries pulling it out.

Yankees: I think if their knees can stay under them they will be fine, again middle relief is a question mark, get to them early and you get the W. Seattle, I like the team with the addition of Beltre and Everett only if that starting pitching can do what it has done 2 and 3 years ago. LA a solid team with quite possibly the best relievers in baseball and tons of power, starting pitching may be a question mark though. Toronto will surprise many I think with a good starting corp and plenty of run producers. Minnesota is the oldest team in baseball (just eyeballing it) and will fade late in the season.
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    I sat and watched the Rox beat (barely) the Diamondbacks yesterday at Coors Field.

Of course I had my eye on the CUBS score, as they beat the hell out of the Reds.
    Swwweeeeeet

Cubs over Blue Jays in Series.... You heard it here first.

Oh... and Cardinals suck.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN

Jealousy is SUCH an UGLY trait
    Go suck a lemon
    And last but not least.......... GO CARDS !!!!!!

GO RED SOX!!!!

Watched highlights on NESN last night - will be hunkered down for tonight's game. Looking forward to more Coco Crisp (gotta love the name)

Registered
    Mar 2006
    I sat and watched the Rox beat (barely) the Diamondbacks yesterday at Coors Field.

Of course I had my eye on the CUBS score, as they beat the hell out of the Reds.
    Swwweeeeeet

Cubs over Blue Jays in Series.... You heard it here first.

Thank you man, you speak from my soul...THIS IS NEXT YEAR !!!
    (Did Matt Murton look good, or what...

OK, here's my prediction:

AL
    East: Sox
    Central: Sox
    West: Angels

NL:
    East: Mets
    Central: Cubs
    East: Padres

Series: Cubs/Red Sox
    Last edited by LadyBuc; 04 Apr 2006 at 11:36 AM.
    Bring on Spring Training...

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by LadyBuc
    NL:
    East: Mets
    Central: Cubs
    East: Padres

Series: Cubs/Red Sox
    Huh? Padres in the East now? I'm going with the Giants in the West (if the pitching holds up).

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake
    Huh? Padres in the East now? I'm going with the Giants in the West (if the pitching holds up).
    You guys and your weird National League, with your batting pitchers, strange disco uniforms and covered multi-use stadiums...

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by jmello
    You guys and your weird National League, with your batting pitchers, strange disco uniforms and covered multi-use stadiums...
    Heck, the Brewers' late 1970s through 1980s uniforms (the ones with the 'glove' logo) are still über-popular among the team's fans and could well be readopted as their regular duds. As it is now, they'll be wearing them for all Sunday home games this season.

Oh yea, that was a convincing win over Pittsburgh yesterday, too, wasn't it?

(And NO WAY will the Cubs be anywhere near .500 this season, they used up their entire season allotment of runs in their first game!! )

And will Barry Bonds have a single road game at-bat where isn't nearly booed off the field?

Mike

Registered
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake
    Duh, my bad...it's of course West.
    And I hadn't started drinking yet... that's weird...
    Bring on Spring Training...

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by mgk920
    Heck, the Brewers' late 1970s through 1980s uniforms (the ones with the 'glove' logo) are still über-popular among the team's fans and could well be readopted as their regular duds.
    These were the absolute worst:

http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/ex...f&Entryid=1365

http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/ex...f&Entryid=1280

http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/ex...f&Entryid=1241

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Agreed on the Astros' uniforms.

Also, I detested the White Sox' uniforms throughout the 1970s and into the early 1980s.

Mike

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Do you remember Boog Powell in this one? Click on 1975 CLE.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/fr...6_CLE-1977_LAD

And I think with White Sox wore shorts during the same period. I can't look that one up.

With such classic unis as the Cardinals wear, I wish they'd get rid of those silly blue road hats, and blue with red bill "Sunday Only" caps. Yeccchhh! Stay with the classic tried and true.

Just my $.02
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Dec 2003
    The Braves will make the playoffs for about the ten billionth time in a row. I know everyone thinks the fans of Atlanta are spoiled but it really gets boring being in the playoffs every year. Why even bother having a regular season? If the Mets or someone else would step up and win the division a couple of times, it'd make it more interesting.

Oh sure, they'll hit a rough patch for a couple of weeks during the season where it'll seem like there is no chance of them getting back on top, but then they'll rise back to the top. As weird as it sounds, the best thing the Braves could do for ticket sales would be to start losing. Winning is fun but there has to be some sort of excitement with it.

I'd be more than willing to trade a couple of Braves playoff spots for Thrashers playoff spots.
    As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron. - H.L. Mencken

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by AubieTurtle
    The Braves will make the playoffs for about the ten billionth time in a row. I know everyone thinks the fans of Atlanta are spoiled but it really gets boring being in the playoffs every year...Winning is fun but there has to be some sort of excitement with it.
    "Making the playoffs" is far from "winning."

Registered
    Dec 2003
    That depends on how you define "winning". I think of it as total number of games won. If you think of it as winning the World Series, then we are talking about different things.

Certainly making it to the World Series would add some excitement but that's only a small part of the baseball season. It'd be nice to have the excitement of a real race the whole season rather than just during the playoffs and the traditional early season slump.
    As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron. - H.L. Mencken

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by AubieTurtle
    Certainly making it to the World Series would add some excitement but that's only a small part of the baseball season.
    You're taking to a lifelong Red Sox fan...I can't relate, nor do I desire to.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    I'll second some of AubieTurtle's comments, and basically just echo my annual prediction (which is correct pretty much every year) - the Braves will win the NL East, the Braves will lose early in the playoffs, and I'll be ready to throw my TV through the window after listening to Tim McCarver call one too many playoff games.

Have to say that the Cards look like the team to beat in the NL this year...

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Cards sweep series #1...now on to those Cubs this afternoon....GO CARDS !!!!!!

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    The amazing thing with the BRAVES is that they keep winning with different lineups. The only player left from the 1991 streak beginning team is John Smoltz. Others have come and gone, a few stayed for a couple years or more then left. True they keep a core group of players that are the mainstay, but their trades are generally good (except for Dan Kolb) and their farm system is excellent.

I was a Braves fan when their bandwagon was a pushcart. How many people remember the last place teams, when you could sit anywhere in the stadium for $5. They won the division only twice in 1969 and 1983 before these last 14 in a row. Seroiusly, back in the 1980s who thought that we'd ever see the Braves and Indians in a World Series (Braves only win in 1995). If contraction would have been brought up back then, those two teams would have been on the list.

Pitching is scary yet again this year......
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Planit
    How many people remember the last place teams, when you could sit anywhere in the stadium for $5. They won the division only twice in 1969 and 1983 before these last 14 in a row. Seroiusly, back in the 1980s who thought that we'd ever see the Braves and Indians in a World Series...
    Ah, the good (bad?) 'ol days, back when you could walk up to the Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium box office an hour before first pitch and get field level seats behind home plate...

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Jaxspra
    Cards sweep series #1...now on to those Cubs this afternoon....GO CARDS !!!!!!
    Derek Lee just homered in the First.
    Redbirds 0
    Chubs 1

My ass is still chapped from last season. Seems the MLB has bought the rights to all online radio broadcasts. If I want to pick up WGN 720 in Chicago for the Cubs game while working, I gotta pay $14.95... WGN's website won't let me download there... Pisses me off something big!
    Last edited by zman; 07 Apr 2006 at 3:06 PM.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Mar 2004
    BREWERS ARE 3-0!!!

BREWERS ARE 3-0!!!

BREWERS ARE 3-0!!!

(just had to )

They host the Diamondbacks this weekend

Mike

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Derek Lee just homered in the First.
    Redbirds 0
    Chubs 1

My ass is still chapped from last season. Seems the MLB has bought the rights to all online radio broadcasts. If I want to pick up WGN 720 in Chicago for the Cubs game while working, I gotta pay $14.95... WGN's website won't let me download there... Pisses me off something big!
    Ouch Z, cheer on your Cubs, they are whoopin our butts...5-0 Cubs, top of the 6th

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 295
    Last post: 01 Nov 2013, 10:29 AM
  2. Replies: 272
    Last post: 15 Nov 2012, 6:30 PM
  3. Replies: 329
    Last post: 03 Nov 2010, 11:02 AM
  4. Replies: 228
    Last post: 06 Nov 2009, 11:28 AM
  5. Replies: 251