Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast

Thread: 2006 Major League Baseball trash talk thread!

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Jaxspra
    Ouch Z, cheer on your Cubs, they are whoopin our butts...5-0 Cubs, top of the 6th
    SWISH! ....
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Mar 2005
    I WILL BE IN BALTIMORE TOMORROW WATCHING THE SOX WHOOP THE orioles.

Did you see how laughingly empty Camden Yards was last night? I thought they had fans.
    Last edited by jmello; 07 Apr 2006 at 5:01 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Jaxspra
    Ouch Z, cheer on your Cubs, they are whoopin our butts...5-0 Cubs, top of the 6th
    This is a mere preview of the rest of YOUR season...

CUBS WIN, CUBS WIN, CUBS WIN !!!
    Bring on Spring Training...

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    HA, enjoy it while you can, that will be the LAST time that happens!!!!

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Just thought I would quietly mention that the Detroit Tigers are now 4-0. A real nice start for Manager Jim Leyland. Chris Shelton, ex-Toledo Mud Hen, is batting something like .750......with five home runs in four games. Must have been all the Tony Packo's Hungarian Hot Dogs he ate when he was a "muddie". Perhaps Nancy Packo is putting steroids in the dogs.

Jim Leyland grew up in the Toledo suburb of Perrysburg. He has family in Liberty Center, the bedroom community this Bear lived in for about 15 years. Leyland did a great job with the Florida Marlins (winning a World Series) but struck out with Colorado (quitting because of "stress"?).

Somewhat-related: The folks in Detroit continue to discuss that great old ball park, Tiger Stadium. They are trying to figure out what the heck to do with it, to save it from the wrecking ball.

I was a regular at "the corner". (Of course, I was also a regular at the bar across the street. I think it was called Hoots. Older dude ran the joint and had great stories of a lot of the old-time players.)

Somewhat-related, again: Lou Gehrig's last game was in Detroit.

I Am The Luck-Luck-Luckiest Bear In The Whole-Whole-World
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by LadyBuc
    This is a mere preview of the rest of YOUR season...

CUBS WIN, CUBS WIN, CUBS WIN !!!
    So typical Cubby, one win against a superior team and they negate the past 98 years of futility and think they are headed to the classic. Wood and Prior are already injured, and when they come back Dusty will figure out a way to get them hurt, and then blame it on the Cubs radio team. But it doesn't matter as long as the Trixies and Chads can enjoy Old Style and talk about who is going to be at John Barleycorn after the game...Oh there is a baseball game?, I thought it was a beer garden w/ a stiff cover charge.

Just razzing ya there O small bear fans

Well kind of... I make my annual trip to the ivy covered burial ground in August, looking forward to a good time and friendly ribbing as always
    She has been a bad girl, she is like a chemical, though you try and stop it she is like a narcotic.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Ya know, LBuc, I've never been to Wiggly Field but I'd sure like to visit that shrine. Maybe we should convince some you-know-who and all of us get up there some weekend.

Go Giants
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Mar 2004
    BREWERS ARE 5-0!!!

BREWERS ARE 5-0!!!

BREWERS ARE 5-0!!!

(just had to )

Take THAT you Chubs fans!!!

Mike

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Cubs beat the Cards yesterday too. AND I get to watch the game tonight on ESPN.

Oh and the Rockies are 2 outs from SWEEPING the Padres. Did I mention they are doing this away from Denver.

Cubs and Rockies in the NLCS. You heard it here first.

ZMan, not realizing that there is like 157 more games to go...
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Before all you *Small Bear* fans log on this morning to pile on us Cards fans, I have two word for you: June Swoon.
    Je suis Charlie

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker
    Before all you *Small Bear* fans log on this morning to pile on us Cards fans, I have two word for you: June Swoon.
    Its opening day here in STL, the city is crazy already this morning!! I am not attending opening day game or celebrations way too much work here at the office...the new Busch is going to be nuts this afternoon!! GO CARDS!!!!

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North
    Somewhat-related: The folks in Detroit continue to discuss that great old ball park, Tiger Stadium. They are trying to figure out what the heck to do with it, to save it from the wrecking ball.

I was a regular at "the corner". (Of course, I was also a regular at the bar across the street. I think it was called Hoots. Older dude ran the joint and had great stories of a lot of the old-time players.)
    Hoot's is now where the Home Plate was, they have done quite a bit of work to the Home Plate. I was a regular of the Batter's Box, and of Nancy Whiskey's/Harrison Bar.

There is not much hope for reuse of the old building. Wayne State can't use it as it is a division 2 school (with 35,000 students??). There has been talk of Condos around a village green (old diamond), health clubs, shopping malls, even ripping it down for a Walmart!

Wow even the Tigers are doing well this year. My drive in took me by the old ball park, the bars in the neighborhood all have tents set up in alleys or nearby parking lots for the revellers to party early, catch a bus to the game, then come back to party some more.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker
    Dunker, Jax, H Roark...

Sorry, I cannot lend you my broom. I had some sweeping to do this past weekend.
    Michael Barrett for President.
    Every game counts!

-Peart

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN
    Dunker, Jax, H Roark...

Sorry, I cannot lend you my broom. I had some sweeping to do this past weekend.
    Michael Barrett for President.
    Every game counts!
    As I said before, enjoy it...it will never happen again

You know I really am glad there are some other Cards fans around here, I don't think I could take all this trash talk on my own

Registered
    Mar 2006
    As I said before, enjoy it...it will never happen again
    Jaxpra, I do believe that's what you said after the first of the THREE losses...

But that's ok, we are gracious enough NOT to rub it in too bad...

RJ, let's nail that visit down, we're up for it. There's nothing like watching a game at Wrigley, well maybe Fenway (if you're a Sox fan)...

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    It's still VERY early, but the Mazzone-less Braves looks like they might have more pitching issues than what they have overcome in the past.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Sep 1999

RJ, let's nail that visit down, we're up for it. There's nothing like watching a game at Wrigley, well maybe Fenway (if you're a Sox fan)...
    Oh for god's sake stop taking my razor blades away, I went to two spring training games for crissakes.................

My question: would any of ya'll fly 3 hours and spend $300 for a book signing? (my passion!). sigh...thought not.....
    Last edited by Zoning Goddess; 10 Apr 2006 at 9:01 PM.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    Oh for god's sake stop taking my razor blades away, I went to two spring training games for crissakes.................
    I checked the Braves schedule and the Giants aren’t in Atlanta until the last week in August for a mid-week series. Bummer

My question: would any of ya'll fly 3 hours and spend $300 for a book signing? (my passion!). sigh...thought not.....
    Hell, I'll fly for about an hour, spend less than that, and sign your book this weekend.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Mar 2005
    So, we were a bit disappointed with our trip to B-more. There was not an Orioles fan in sight (in the streets or the ballpark). It was as if Fenway Park had been moved 450 miles to the southwest. The O's were booed in there own stadium throughout the night. I think it may have had something to do with the rain delay, with only the hardiest of fans and those that travelled great distances remaining for the game. But, a great game none the less. Schilling was on top, again.

Registered
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake
    I checked the Braves schedule and the Giants aren’t in Atlanta until the last week in August for a mid-week series. Bummer :
    Giants-Cubs @ Wrigley - Labor Day Weekend...think about it...

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I'm drooling....

"What does a mama bear on the pill have in common with the World Series? No Cubs."
    Harry Caray.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I'm drooling.....
    You will fit right in at Wrigley

"What does a mama bear on the pill have in common with the World Series? No Cubs."
    Harry Caray.
    Good one

Notice how I am big enough to not mention our early season ego boost gift to the Cubbies
    She has been a bad girl, she is like a chemical, though you try and stop it she is like a narcotic.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    So what is Wrigley, the gum company? What do they have to do with baseball? Besides guys chewing and spitting?

p.s. RJ, LadyBuc's gonna kill you for that sig!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    So what is Wrigley, the gum company? What do they have to do with baseball? Besides guys chewing and spitting?...
    You know more about baseball than you thought. From Wiki

The Cubs fell into a lengthy doldrum after their early 1900s Glory Years, broken only by their pennant in the war-shortened season of 1918. Around that time, chewing-gum tycoon William Wrigley obtained majority ownership of the Cubs, and things started to turn around, especially after they acquired the services of astute baseball man William Veeck, Sr..
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago...ry_three_years

More from the Cubs web site

The Tribune Company buys the club from the Wrigley family for $20.5 million, ended the longest continuous operation of a franchise by the same family in one city. 1981

Chewing-gum magnate William Wrigley Jr. purchases control of the Cubs and renames Weeghman Park to Cubs Park. In 1926, Cubs Park becomes Wrigley Field. Philip K. Wrigley assumes control after father's death in 1932. In 1977, William Wrigley takes over the club after the death of his father, Philip. 1921
    I know ZG, TMI....
    Last edited by Richmond Jake; 12 Apr 2006 at 10:17 PM.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    For the Cubs Fans out there.

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/47426

Highlights:

CHICAGO—Despite their impressive 4-2 start and the fact that their pitching and offense appears to be clicking on all cylinders, Cubs manager Dusty Baker said Wednesday that he has "no doubt" that his team will be able to turn things around in time to miss the playoffs.
    "Sure, other teams may look just as awful on paper, but the Cubs have all the intangibles—the inability to play as a cohesive unit, management that always seems to make the wrong moves, a storied history of crushing, tragic defeats despite favorable odds," said Chicago-area resident Matt Grant. "No winning streak can get that lose-at-any-cost mentality out of our Cubbies' heads."
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 295
    Last post: 01 Nov 2013, 10:29 AM
  2. Replies: 272
    Last post: 15 Nov 2012, 6:30 PM
  3. Replies: 329
    Last post: 03 Nov 2010, 11:02 AM
  4. Replies: 228
    Last post: 06 Nov 2009, 11:28 AM
  5. Replies: 251