Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Experience with emergency management planning

Registered
    May 2003

Experience with emergency management planning

I am about to graduate in May with my Masters of Urban and Regional Planning and am looking for a job. One of the interviews that I have lined up is with the Emergency Management Division of our State Police Department. I am wondering if anyone out there has any extensive experience with emergency management planning and if so, are there any books on the subject you could recommend, any websites or journal articles in particular you would suggest reading? I want to hone my knowledge of emergency management planning before the interview and any help you could offer would be most appreciated. Thank you.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Know about:
    NIMS (National Incident Management System)
    DMA (Disaster Mitigation Act) required at both State & Local level
    CEM (Certified Emergency Manager)
    CRS (NFIP Community Rating System)
    Storm Ready Community (National Weather Service)
    LEPC (Local Emergency Planning Committee SARA III)
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Our office does a lot of EM planning, but I have only dealt with it minimally. I do know that you will want to look in to NIMS (here is the link) http://www.nimsonline.com/. If I remember correctly, if there is any personnel that deals with emergency preparedness, you have to have this training, esp. for Federal funding.

I know that you are a very different part of the country, but our state has some pretty good disaster response stuff online. In addition to the following link, there is a link on the site that will take you to the county websites.http://www.floridadisaster.org/ You will probably be dealing with blizzard response and other natural disasters that we really do not get. We have our local mitigation strategies. (LMS)

Depending on where you are located, you may have to develop buffer plans for certain types of "vulnerable" development.

Anyway, that is all of the stuff I can think of at the moment. Good luck on the interview and finishing up school.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 9
    Last post: 20 Dec 2011, 4:43 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last post: 06 Aug 2010, 1:05 PM
  3. The management experience question....
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 04 Nov 2008, 3:08 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last post: 05 Apr 2000, 4:51 PM