Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The most absent-minded/careless things you've done

Registered
    Feb 2004

The most absent-minded/careless things you've done

A couple days ago I found the television remote inside the refrigerator. A brief family investigation/interrogation soon revealed the guilty party had been Junior. He is usually the prime suspect and culprit anytime something gets misplaced or goes missing. For whatever reason he appears to have little sense of order, and I can't tell you how many times we find things like the telephone sitting on top of his toy box or his shoes lying in whatever place he happened to kick them off (e.g. in the back yard, bathroom, bedroom, basement... wherever). I think he has a limited 'situational awareness' about his environment because we'll ask him to find something and after 5 minutes of searching he will strike out/give up 10 out of 10 times....then I'll walk into his bedroom and find it in under three seconds!

But he's not the only person that's absent-minded. The other day I went to run errands. My first stop was to pick up something from work and then go to a couple of stores and a stop at the post office. After picking up the item at work I found myself on full auto-pilot mode three turns later well upon my way home from work!

What is the most absent-minded thing you've done, or moment when you've found yourself going somewhere or doing something in full auto-pilot mode?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Lately, I've been nearly getting dressed for work on a Saturday. I'll wake up, know it's Saturday, sleep in a little bit, take a shower, and then I come out of the shower and start getting ready for work. I guess I'm so routine-oriented. Then I'm like, wait a minute, I don't need black socks and an undershirt...I'm not going to work...it's Saturday...what am I doing?

I've also almost put pantry items away in the fridge and vice versa.

There's also been a time or two where I'll go out for lunch, and instead of turning right out of the office to get to the main drag to get something to eat, I will turn left like I'm going home for the day. Whoops...

I've also done some pretty absent-minded things when drinking....but we won't go there.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Dec 2008
    I once blew my nose, tossed my car keys in the trash and put the kleenex in my pocket. Realized what I'd done about a half hour later.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Apr 2003
    I make check lists for everything and schedule out my day as much as I can. However there was one time this summer, I stopped into the local B-dubs for a beer and wings after a late meeting and a 15 hour day. My wife and kids were already in bed so it was only me. After I paid my bill and walked home and went to bed. Around 1am, I woke up and felt like I was forgetting something... then I realized that the car was still downtown because I stopped at B-dubs on my way home from work.

So I got dressed, walked back down to get the car and drove home. It's only a 10-15 minute walk and it was a hot summer night, so it wasn't a big deal. But I felt stupid about it. Crazy thing is I only had one beer.
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Realized that I had left my glucose meter at work once I got home and drove back to work to get it.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Once, at work, my boss at the time (female) was telling me something and I responded with "yes, dear." She thought it was funny and commented that my wife had me well trained.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2008
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    What is the most absent-minded thing you've done...?
    That's an easy one:
    I didn't read any of "Teh Rules" before joining Cyburbia.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Once every few months I'll be walking through town holding a coffee and want to check the time on my watch and dump a bunch of it out on to myself as I turn my wrist to see the time.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    When I was still doing long commutes to work I had many instances when I was on auto-pilot driving and realized that I didn't specifically remember passing 3-4 consecutive highway exits.
    Last edited by mendelman; 05 Dec 2014 at 4:21 PM.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    I laugh when driving seeing some car on the road with soda fountain cup on the roof.

Have you ever done that ?

Shellac And Vinyl VelocitY - Is my edit better ?
    Last edited by JNA; 05 Dec 2014 at 4:02 PM.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2008
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    I always laugh when I see a car driving down the road with soda fountain cup on the roof.

Have you ever done that ?
    ...Laugh at a car driving down the road with a soda fountain cup on the roof?

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    I regularly see people driving down the road with their turn signals on all the time. How can you not hear that? Or see on the dashboard that it's on?
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Aug 2002
    I booked a hotel room for the right day, in the wrong month. I didn't realize it until I received my credit card bill, and wondered why I'd been charged. Fortunately, I was able to apply the charge to my stay on the right date.

The funny thing is that my husband did something similar last year. He booked AND paid in advance for a room, and when we got to the hotel, we learned that we'd been a "no-show" the week before... and there were no rooms available. We had to find another place to stay. That was an expensive mistake.

Now we're even.

Registered
    Feb 2005
    I think I might have told this little story before, but when I was a senior in college, I started receiving late notices for a Blockbuster rental that I swore I had returned. I even had a vague recollection of putting it in the drop-off box. I looked all around my room and car, no movie, so I talked to the store manager, who was a little dubious, but I was convinced that I'd returned it and maybe someone else had taken it out of the drop-off box.

Later that summer I was cleaning out my car and found it underneath my driver's seat.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Left my keys in the front door overnight. Thankfully they were still there in the morning and so was my car.

I forgot that I left my car at the Metropark Station parking deck in Edison when I went to NYC. I took the express train to New Brunswick and then a bus home to my campus apartment. About an hour later I remembered that I drove to Edison rather than taking the bus as I usually did. I was tired so I left it there overnight and went to pick it up in the morning.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    May 2005
    Just last night I was returning from a walk with the dogs. On my way in, I also grabbed the mail and, approaching the house, sorted it into recycling and keepers. Arriving at the trash/recycling cans I tossed the dog poop in the recycling, the mail in the trash and walked into the house with the recycling. Nothing like diving head first into the recycling bin to drag out a bag of crap!

I did a similar thing once with my phone which ended up at the bottom of the trash can. I found it by calling it from my wife’s – I can’t describe the feeling of dread when I opened the trash can and saw the screen lit up WAY down at the bottom, amid lord knows what. All I know is there were stinky fluids down there. Another shining moment!

My wife is the worst, though. Just this week we were leaving a restaurant and she proceeded to drop her HUGE wad of keys on the ground right in front of me and then walked off without them, unawares. I grabbed them and waited until we got to the car where she realized she had lost them. She is regularly leaving her phone or keys or wallet on some counter, on top of the car, at a friend’s house, on the ground beside the car - you name it, she has left it there. I like it because it gives me the illusion of being really together…
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Left my gym bag on the roof of the car overnight. I was wondering what happened to it the morning. Went out to the car, and there it was.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    May 2004
    It's embarassing to admit I have done this more than once, but I have pulled up to a stop sign and waited for a green light.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2008
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    It's embarassing to admit I have done this more than once, but I have pulled up to a stop sign and waited for a green light.
    Welcome back, imaplanner!!

(Or was posting here another embarrassing lapse?)

Registered
    Dec 2014
    Luckily I haven't done many earth-shattering careless things...

One time when I was younger my family evacuated from a hurricane and were staying in this little cabin in the middle of nowhere. I was used to having a garbage disposal and, like an absent-minded idiot, I dumped leftover stew into the bathroom sink. ...Why??

Registered
    Feb 2004
    One time I thought I had lost my gloves (these were thin cycling gloves). Figured they were lost for good. Get home take my hat off and there they were inside of the hat I had been wearing. I had probably taken both off at one time and stuck the gloves in there for safe keeping.

Now Just this week I seem to have lost my North Face gloves, these are much thicker and not in my hat. They seem sort of big to lose. I know I had them Monday when I rode my bike to the grocery store but haven't seen them since. Maybe the fact that I bought a replacement pair today will cause them to show up. Never lost my keys or wallet though.

Registered
    Jan 2013
    I often stay on the bus/train too long, missing my stop, sometimes by a lot.. and having to navigate back.
    I once wasted an entire hour because I took the train in the wrong direction and did not notice it for 10 or 11 stops.

I also forget my keys, wallet, etc, all the time.

I lose things frequently as well.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    I usually put my work car keys in the window of my office when I get back. Friday I went to get them and they weren't there. I looked in the car, parking lot, around the office, etc. I figured I might have put them in my jacket pocket, so when I got home checked there & no keys. Then I checked the pockets of the pants I wore Thursday & nothing. On Sunday I got a pair of shoes out of the closet and went to put them on and there were the keys inside one of the shoes. Those shoes were right below the pants I had worn Thursday so they must have fallen out when I hung them up. I was already dreading telling my boss I needed replacement keys...Whew!!!
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Went shopping on Sunday, lost my debit card. Got home last night, couldn't find my house keys. They were attached to my work keys... so I couldn't get in to work this morning. First time for both; I think I'm losing my mind.
    How do I know you are who you think you are?

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Just the usual locking my keys in the car.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12
    Last post: 23 Oct 2008, 9:02 AM
  2. High-Minded Babbler
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 09 Apr 2008, 2:00 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 22 Dec 2006, 8:41 AM
  4. Replies: 9