Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Ribbon cutting and other ceremonial/honorary stuff

Registered
    May 2006

Ribbon cutting and other ceremonial/honorary stuff

Today I am attending a ceremony for a street that was renamed...it is in honor of a local developer/family...sometimes I like working in a small community I attend a lot more civic activities here like ribbon cuttings, grand openings and street renamings...They are surprisingly fun!!!!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Moderator note:
    split from RTDNTOTO

I got cornered into attending a ribbon cutting ceremony once. Got to glad-hand the rotary, school superintendent, mayor, engineering firm, etc. etc. What purpose do these sorts of ceremonies serve, apart from a photo op? These sorts of events are probably more fun for extraverts I'm guessing?

How many times have you had your picture taken standing next to someone holding a ceremonial shovel, or cutting a ceremonial ribbon?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 2007
    The individual communities, CoCs, and DDAs here in our county are always trying to get somebody from our economic development staff to come out for ribbon cuttings at new facilities. We have a few staff members who like going and you can tell they like the attention. I have never had a desire to attend one but maybe if somebody were opening a brewery or ice cream shop within a 10 minute drive of my home, I'd reconsider.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Jan 2006
    I had to go to one last night. I attend out of respect. Don't eat anything and definitely don't drink alcohol.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    Quote Originally posted by TOFB View post
    I had to go to one last night. I attend out of respect. Don't eat anything and definitely don't drink alcohol.
    If food is provided... Why not?
    The most foolish thing one can do this fall is to vote for Clinton or Trump. Wake up, get out of the matrix, and send a message to the political establishment that you won't play their game.

Registered
    May 2006
    I have another meet and greet tonight for the new Chamber of Commerce President...now that is an event I wish I could miss...

Registered
    Jun 2004
    I get invited to ribbon cuttings often. I go to the ones where the owner invites me. I am not a big fan of hob-knobing or smoozing because I have to actively filter what I say more than usual.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Quote Originally posted by Big Owl View post
    I get invited to ribbon cuttings often. I go to the ones where the owner invites me. I am not a big fan of hob-knobing or smoozing because I have to actively filter what I say more than usual.
    Is this because you've given them such a hard time in the office and during inspections to get a CO that you & them don't really want to see each other again?
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    If food is provided... Why not?
    I should have said "I don't eat anything . . . " I donno, just kind of awkward.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I've been to a couple of ribbon cutting/groundbreaking ceremonies for the Great Allegheny Passage. The groundbreaking ceremony celebrated the beginning of construction the last link in the trail, making a complete trail from Pittsburgh to DC.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I actually generally like going to ribbon cuttings. If the developer went through the process properly and got their approvals, that's something to celebrate. It's not always fun for them to go through our process and deal with unreasonable members of the public (and sometimes some difficult city staff). If they kept a good attitude during it, provided mitigation and changed their design based on comments, and didn't escalate to politicians, I am more than happy to come feel good about their project, even if it's something boring.

The ones I don't like to go to are for the obnoxious developers who tried every trick in the book to get out of the proper process and tried to get politicians to intervene.

As for food and drink, I will generally drink their coffee and maybe have a donut but don't generally drink their booze.

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Working in my first EcoDev job in a smaller community I pretty much went to every ribbon cutting ceremony. I was usually the guy taking the picture of the cutting rather than one of them holding the ribbon, though. I generally liked that part of the job. Everyone was happy to be celebrating a success for the business owner/manager and the community and of course there was always a decent spread.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    The running joke here is that I only show up to the ribbon cuttings for alcohol-related businesses... liquor stores, bars & breweries. It really was just coincidence for a while, but at this point everyone finds it so funny that it has become an intentional gag that the Chamber of Commerce director often alludes to in his remarks at the ribbon cutting.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    I try to go to all of them in my jurisdiction due to my position at the City and I'm usually the one taking the pictures, which is fine with me.

And I always eat the food that is provided. It'd be rude not to.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    I go sometimes, my boss goes more than me. Sometimes there's food, sometimes there's drink.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Cord Cutting Strategies
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 05 Dec 2014, 10:43 AM
  2. Subdivision Ribbon tracts
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 07 Jun 2011, 7:58 AM
  3. Signs / billboards Tree cutting and billboards
    Land Use and Zoning