Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 11 of 64 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 21 ... LastLast

Thread: The NEVERENDING Dating Thread

Registered
    Sep 2001
    This is where it gets odd, I am not sure if she chose Valentine's Day(won't use VD in a dating thread) on purpose or it just happens to fall on a wednesday this year. we are both busy with school and working and wednesdays and fridays were the only days that our schedules meshed. With our schedules we've only been communicating through emails, so I can't even use body language or intonation to figure this out.

Some background. I met her through a school function and we only spoke for about 15 minutes, and it turns out we had a few school and other interests in common, so we swapped cards, and she emailed me.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    I have a date Wednesday
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally posted by donk View post
    This is where it gets odd, I am not sure if she chose Valentine's Day(won't use VD in a dating thread) on purpose or it just happens to fall on a wednesday this year. we are both busy with school and working and wednesdays and fridays were the only days that our schedules meshed. With our schedules we've only been communicating through emails, so I can't even use body language or intonation to figure this out.

Some background. I met her through a school function and we only spoke for about 15 minutes, and it turns out we had a few school and other interests in common, so we swapped cards, and she emailed me.
    I reckon you should just go. Your both free that night, and well why not? It doesnt have to be romantic, just casual. Gee its better than being alone isnt it?
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Quote Originally posted by natski View post
    I reckon you should just go. Your both free that night, and well why not? It doesnt have to be romantic, just casual. Gee its better than being alone isnt it?
    Exactly, a good meal with an attractive, smart lady, regardless of motives or other interests is fine with me.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    ghughughgughhug I am going to be alone on V-Day Well not entirely true...I have a 9 and a 5 year old that will be happy to spend their V-Day with a smart, attractive lady

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Jaxspra View post
    ghughughgughhug I am going to be alone on V-Day ...
    Same here.

Iím wondering if Vaseline sales to men without dates grow at this time of year or do these guys always have some on-hand? (Pun intended.)

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Donk, have you already made reservations? Even if where you are going isn't the type of place that accepts reservations, they might on Valentine's Day since so many people go out to eat. It would suck if you two had to wait an hour or two for a table (unless they have a good bar!)

I went out with a planner a couple of weeks ago. I had a good time but I got the dreaded "we should hang out as friends but I don't see us in a romantic way" email two days afterwards. Oh well, despite being transit friendly, she didn't seem to understand that you'll never get a good transit-pedestrian environment if you continue to cater first to the automobile, so it probably wouldn't have worked anyway.

The first time I went out on a date with a girl who called herself a computer programmer groupie I thought it was weird, so as a sort of planner groupie, at least I got to see that type of date from the other side of the fence. Anyone else ever gone out with someone who was really into your career even though they work in a totally different one?
    As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron. - H.L. Mencken

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally posted by AubieTurtle View post
    The first time I went out on a date with a girl who called herself a computer programmer groupie I thought it was weird, so as a sort of planner groupie, at least I got to see that type of date from the other side of the fence. Anyone else ever gone out with someone who was really into your career even though they work in a totally different one?
    Nope, but i have realised that i should never date planners ever again

I would love to date someone that is semi into planning, but not a planner themselves
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Donk, have you already made reservations?
    Nope, and I still don't know exactly what we are going to do. Dinner, drinks, or coffee? I was away from the office today so did not get a chance to see what she has in mind. I am starting to think suggesting one of my favourite "scummy" places(good food, not so good ambiance) and seeing what her reaction is.

I have a meeting tomorrow with someone who knows her, so hopefully I can get some info from him.

As this will be the first person from school I'll be adating, I want it to go relatively well, so I don't get a bad reputation as a bad date.

Registered
    Feb 2007

Not dating....

I never really thought about it until tonight. Man am I glad I am married. And I became a planner after that date (25 years ago). I married an artist who (turns out) liked working in social services (dazed/glazed look).

Just thought I would add my 2 cents.
    DLK

Registered
    Jul 2003
    I am starting to think suggesting one of my favourite "scummy" places(good food, not so good ambiance) and seeing what her reaction is.
    To me, that sounds like a pretty good idea. If someone is potentially romantically interested, its best if they like you for yourself and not for some false image. Better to be standing on solid ground than cloud nine. The fall hurts less.

Not that you asked.

Edit: I just realized that could be taken two ways: Falling in love or falling out of love/having your hopes dashed. lol.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    I gave in to the evil empire... I signed up for six months of match.com. I also looked at their "guarantee". If you don't meet someone special after six months, you don't get your money back, you just get another six months (sounds like some of the crummy class action settlements in which you get paid with a coupon for money off addition merchandise from the company that ripped you off). But even with that, you have to have at least five new contacts a month, have your profile up 100% of the time, and a couple of other conditions. But given that a six month subscription is about the cost of one date, I decided why not.

The annoying thing about paying for a match.com subscription is that if I wasn't stupid I wouldn't have to pay anything at all. I signed up back in the early nineties when they were still young. Back then if you kept your profile active for a certain amount of time you got a lifetime membership because they needed large enough numbers to attract investors. But I went off to college and closed the account instead of just letting it go inactive for a while. I've heard of people who have had an account for the whole time and while match tried all kinds of tricks to rid them of the lifetime subscription (AOL does the same thing with the carry over lifetimers from the Q-Link days), they still hang on to their free accounts.
    As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron. - H.L. Mencken

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Got postponed until next week due to school issues. I don't think she is sending a signal, as I know exactly what the school issue is.

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Got postponed until next week due to school issues. I don't think she is sending a signal, as I know exactly what the school issue is.
    Well that resolves your dilemma doesnt it?!

Registered
    Dec 2003
    How on earth are you going to play the relationship game if you don't read something extra into everything? Goodness man, isn't it obvious that she registered for classes this term just to have an excuse to put off a valentine's date with a guy she didn't even know yet. Level headedness and rational thinking are the enemy, stop them now!

hehehe...

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by AubieTurtle
    Oh well, despite being transit friendly, she didn't seem to understand that you'll never get a good transit-pedestrian environment if you continue to cater first to the automobile, so it probably wouldn't have worked anyway.
    LOL
    I've heard of people who have had an account for the whole time and while match tried all kinds of tricks to rid them of the lifetime subscription
    A lifetime subscription to a dating site?? Isn't there something wrong with that concept?

Registered
    Feb 2002
    How can someone cheat for five years with five different woman on numerous occasions, and doesn't get caught, and I go to lunch ONE time a half hour away, and a friend of the stbx was sitting at the table right next to me?

Gotta love small towns...

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Quote Originally posted by natski View post
    Well that resolves your dilemma doesnt it?!

Not really, it just extends the questions for a week.

Optimism springs eternal, and considering the best I typically ever am is not pessimistic this is a good thing (I think)

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Alright, I have a possible opportunity. I saw this woman a couple of months ago and...I liked her. A few weeks ago I went out for a beer with my friend and it turns out that he is friends with this woman and she joins us for a drink. I had a drink with my buddy last night and he said "you should call her." The answer isn't obvious to me here. I've talked to this woman once and I do not feel comfortable calling her out of the blue. If my friend is suggesting that I hang out with her some time should I ask him for help?
    Trying to get my grubby hands on as much stimulus money as I can.:D

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by gicarto View post
    Alright, I have a possible opportunity. I saw this woman a couple of months ago and...I liked her. A few weeks ago I went out for a beer with my friend and it turns out that he is friends with this woman and she joins us for a drink. I had a drink with my buddy last night and he said "you should call her." The answer isn't obvious to me here. I've talked to this woman once and I do not feel comfortable calling her out of the blue. If my friend is suggesting that I hang out with her some time should I ask him for help?
    Send her an email if you can get one for her, if not ask your friend for an assist.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Quote Originally posted by gicarto View post
    Call her up and say
    It was great to see you the other night when you stopped by the table with my buddy and I. Would you like to grab a drink at (the same place) Friday?
    You know she goes there and likes the place - comfortable for both of you.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Googling your date

CHICAGO, Illinois (AP) -- Dating used to be largely a matter of spending time with a love interest, discovering the good, the bad and the ugly in person. If you were lucky, friends helped fill in some of the blanks.

These days, the Internet -- and the ability to check people out before they ever meet up -- has forever changed the rules.

For better or worse, "googling" your date has become standard practice.
    http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/04/09/g....ap/index.html

When ZG mentioned she Googled me, I Googled her. Not many matches for ZoningGoddess.

Admit it, who of you has Googled somebody of interest?

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    Googling your date

http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/04/09/g....ap/index.html

When ZG mentioned she Googled me, I Googled her. Not many matches for ZoningGoddess.

Admit it, who of you has Googled somebody of interest?
    Yep i admit i have done it- never gotten anything juicy and/or interesting but

The problem is people do it for me as well and come across my high school tribute website- its just plain embarrassing.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    People don't admit to Googling their dates, but when I see the referrer logs for this site, there's occasionally an entry that looks like the result of a Google search for personal information; my name with keywords like the city where I live, the word "girlfriend", and the like.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    How on earth are you going to play the relationship game if you don't read something extra into everything? .... Level headedness and rational thinking are the enemy, stop them now!

hehehe...
    This would be so funny -- if it weren't exactly how I feel most of the time in 'relationships'.
    I'm going to a wedding with a guy that I've been chatting with (you may remember from last fall). He invited me to see him on Sunday (I stopped by) and we're both going to a party the day after the wedding. But somehow, 6 months after I resolved to get to know him, we still haven't been on a real date. I think we may have crossed over into the Friend Zone. Ugh!
    How do I know you are who you think you are?

+ Reply to thread
Page 11 of 64 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 21 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. The Dating Rules thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 45
    Last post: 24 Apr 2013, 4:04 PM
  2. The NEVERENDING FML thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 44
    Last post: 21 Apr 2013, 8:40 PM
  3. The NEVERENDING When You Die Thread