Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    Is the YES lyric -

true ?

In my case I believe it is.
    I wouldn't say "much better".

Rather "much more fortunate"
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Thought I might have something to contribute to this thread now that I'm back on the dating scene after having been through divorce after a nearly 12-year monogomous relationship (7.5 of it married). I'm 33 now so things are a bit different than when I was 21. Being in a college town, I'm am now a bit above the average age of ladies around here. That's not a bad thing for me, though, and luckily having taken good care of myself I can easily pass for the 24-28 age range. Also, I'm much wiser to the ways of the woman (and life in general) than I was back then. I have a career. I have tangible evidence that I'm a responsible human being. I have enough money to have some fun or to treat a woman out if I so choose. I'm not a bad looking guy. I've got some things going for me there.

So...aside from once being blatantly asked out by a 20-year old on the quad and stupidly failing to get her number, I've been much more proactive lately. Met a girl at campus bar while playing pool with her and her friends last weekend. She's turning 22 next week. Very smart and attractive. We went out to lunch on Wednesday and it went well. We've been texting and e-mailing a bit back and forth and she's Facebook friended me already. Going out again on Saturday night so we'll see how that goes.

There is another great girl I actually met while buying some painting supplies at Lowes. She helped me out and we got to talking. Turns out she's 23 and has a boyfriend, but she definitely seemed to like me and flirted with me a bit so I'm thinking what she's got with the BF isn't too serious. I plan on dropping in this weekend for some "more supplies" and blatantly telling her that I would ask her out in a heartbeat if I knew she didn't already have a boyfriend, and then seeing how she responds. Or maybe I'll just ask her out anyway and see what she says. Just tell her I think she seems like she'd be cool to hang out with and see if she takes me up on it. If so I know there is some mutual interest for sure.

Simultaneously I've been trying the online thing a bit. Plenty o' Fish and Match. I've gotten some responses from some women. One is about 30 and VERY attractive and has already given me her phone number and e-mail. She's getting out of a similar situation as I am so I think we might meet and talk and take it slow. Only problem there is she is about 45 minutes away.

The other seems VERY interested. Not quite as much of the WOW factor in looks but extremely smart. Turns out she is the Assistant State's Attorney for my fair county. We have a lot in common it seems and she is close by so we'll see where it leads. We are going to try to get together next week since she'll be gone for easter weekend.

So...I guess I'll keep everyone here posted on my escapades. I'm a little apprehensive but excited at the prospects, too. We'll see.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Rygor View post
    Thought I might have something to contribute to this thread now that I'm back on the dating scene after having been through divorce after a nearly 12-year monogomous relationship (7.5 of it married). I'm 33 now so things are a bit different than when I was 21. Being in a college town, I'm am now a bit above the average age of ladies around here. That's not a bad thing for me, though, and luckily having taken good care of myself I can easily pass for the 24-28 age range. Also, I'm much wiser to the ways of the woman (and life in general) than I was back then. I have a career. I have tangible evidence that I'm a responsible human being. I have enough money to have some fun or to treat a woman out if I so choose. I'm not a bad looking guy. I've got some things going for me there.

So...aside from once being blatantly asked out by a 20-year old on the quad and stupidly failing to get her number, I've been much more proactive lately. Met a girl at campus bar while playing pool with her and her friends last weekend. She's turning 22 next week. Very smart and attractive. We went out to lunch on Wednesday and it went well. We've been texting and e-mailing a bit back and forth and she's Facebook friended me already. Going out again on Saturday night so we'll see how that goes.

There is another great girl I actually met while buying some painting supplies at Lowes. She helped me out and we got to talking. Turns out she's 23 and has a boyfriend, but she definitely seemed to like me and flirted with me a bit so I'm thinking what she's got with the BF isn't too serious. I plan on dropping in this weekend for some "more supplies" and blatantly telling her that I would ask her out in a heartbeat if I knew she didn't already have a boyfriend, and then seeing how she responds. Or maybe I'll just ask her out anyway and see what she says. Just tell her I think she seems like she'd be cool to hang out with and see if she takes me up on it. If so I know there is some mutual interest for sure.

Simultaneously I've been trying the online thing a bit. Plenty o' Fish and Match. I've gotten some responses from some women. One is about 30 and VERY attractive and has already given me her phone number and e-mail. She's getting out of a similar situation as I am so I think we might meet and talk and take it slow. Only problem there is she is about 45 minutes away.

The other seems VERY interested. Not quite as much of the WOW factor in looks but extremely smart. Turns out she is the Assistant State's Attorney for my fair county. We have a lot in common it seems and she is close by so we'll see where it leads. We are going to try to get together next week since she'll be gone for easter weekend.

So...I guess I'll keep everyone here posted on my escapades. I'm a little apprehensive but excited at the prospects, too. We'll see.
    Stay away from the 21-25 year old contingent for a variety of reasons. It took me about a year to even contemplate dating after my divorce. It was amicable enough but I was still devastated afterwards.

Good luck to you.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Jun 2009
    That's rough, KJ. Things have been very amicable in mine, too. My outlook has changed a lot in the past couple months and I'm starting to see things in a much more positive light already. I feel like I'm ready to "test the waters" so to speak and see what happens. I'm not going to rush anything, certainly.

I can see why you might be hesitant about the 21-25 crowd, but I'm not looking for anything serious right now, FWIW. Certainly when I'm ready to find someone for long term again I'll be looking more seriously at a slightly older demographic.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Play the field right now, Rygor. Have as much fun with as many different women as possible right now.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally posted by kjelsadek
    Stay away from the 21-25 year old contingent for a variety of reasons.
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman View post
    Play the field right now, Rygor. Have as much fun with as many different women as possible right now.
    Ditto to both! Maybe you should go for the older women

(Having said this, I think I've only dated one guy older than me and that was by a couple years, the rest have been younger by about 3-5 years. Current bf is younger by 3 months)

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    With this high quality advice, where have you been all my life?

Seriously, I'm very happy I met up with teh ZG. Took a long period of time off after the divorce...didn't date....hooked up with you-know-who via Cyburbia...and have no regrets. Ya'll know the story.
    RJ is the KING of . The One

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by SW MI Planner View post
    I think I've only dated one guy older than me and that was by a couple years, the rest have been younger ...

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Just spewed beer on my keyboard.

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Damn Maister, don't you have to be in your 40's and have at least a 10 year age difference to be a cougar?! If not, I'm going with my definition

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    Just spewed beer on my keyboard.
    Drinking beer at this hour of the morning? Nice.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Married a 25 year old when I was in my mid-30's. She was exceptionally mature, I was not. So far, it's worked out for 29 years. Undoubtedly, we're the exception rather than the rule. Take your time, divorce is not something you want to do twice.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    With this high quality advice, where have you been all my life?

Seriously, I'm very happy I met up with teh ZG. Took a long period of time off after the divorce...didn't date....hooked up with you-know-who via Cyburbia...and have no regrets. Ya'll know the story.
    I, too, am very happy with my wife and kids, but if I was in Rygor's position, I'd be taking my own advise to heart.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Ha ha. Thanks for the advice! That's the plan, Mendelman.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Ha ha. Thanks for the advice! That's the plan, Mendelman.
    The 21 to 25 year old contingent is good for the "hit it and quit it" experience.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by illinoisplanner View post
    Yes. That was a curious comment.

Everyone knows its supposed to be bloody mary's before noon,
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by illinoisplanner View post
    Off-topic:
    You write that like it's a bad thing.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Quote Originally posted by kjelsadek View post
    The 21 to 25 year old contingent is good for the "hit it and quit it" experience.
    Time to clean the computer screen - that's great kjel
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally posted by kjelsadek View post
    Wham, bam, thank-you, ma'am!

But seriously, the date went well on Saturday night. Sad thing is she is leaving in a couple weeks and is going to be really busy getting ready to move, finishing up projects, etc. before then. I suppose it doesn't really matter as I myself will be getting ready to leave in two months.

Have been talking regularly to the 30-year-old lawyer, though. She seems interested in meeting so I think we are going to try sometime this week.

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Well, this past weekend was interesting on the dating front despite me doing a lot of work from Friday through Sunday painting my house. I still made time to meet up with this 32 year old massage therapist I had been chatting with on Match for the previous week or so. Went over to her place on Friday and we walked her dog around the neighborhood. She invited me up to her place and we talked for a long time. We definitely hit it off right away. We planned to get together again Sunday night with a couple of her friends to go to this charity art show. Well, her friends didn't end up going so it was just us. Again, instant attraction. After the art show she surprised me by taking me to her work and giving me a full body massage (after all, I was seriously sore after all the work I'd been doing all weekend). It was nothing short of AMAZING. I then took her out to dinner to an italian place I like that she hadn't been to before. Then we went to a local bar for a drink and watched some live music. The night ended in a kiss. We'll see where this leads...

Registered
    May 2005
    Well, this past weekend was interesting on the dating front despite me doing a lot of work from Friday through Sunday painting my house. I still made time to meet up with this 32 year old massage therapist I had been chatting with on Match for the previous week or so. Went over to her place on Friday and we walked her dog around the neighborhood. She invited me up to her place and we talked for a long time. We definitely hit it off right away. We planned to get together again Sunday night with a couple of her friends to go to this charity art show. Well, her friends didn't end up going so it was just us. Again, instant attraction. After the art show she surprised me by taking me to her work and giving me a full body massage (after all, I was seriously sore after all the work I'd been doing all weekend). It was nothing short of AMAZING. I then took her out to dinner to an italian place I like that she hadn't been to before. Then we went to a local bar for a drink and watched some live music. The night ended in a kiss. We'll see where this leads...
    So,in the spirit of professional exchange, what will you do in return for the massage? Represent her at the LUCC meeting? Complete her application for a "certificate of appropriateness" on those new storm windows? Pull strings with the Traffic department to get those speed bumps put on her street?

Glad it was a successful weekend! Sounds a bit like my wife and my first dates. This could go somewhere...
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by SW MI Planner View post
    Damn Maister, don't you have to be in your 40's and have at least a 10 year age difference to be a cougar?! If not, I'm going with my definition
    Yes.. a woman needs to be in her 40's for cougar status.. however this might fit better for you

puma...
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally posted by wahday View post
    So,in the spirit of professional exchange, what will you do in return for the massage? Represent her at the LUCC meeting? Complete her application for a "certificate of appropriateness" on those new storm windows? Pull strings with the Traffic department to get those speed bumps put on her street?

Glad it was a successful weekend! Sounds a bit like my wife and my first dates. This could go somewhere...
    It's funny that you say that. I actually joked with her that I could "plan her urbans" or "develop things economically" in exchange. No. I actually agreed to repay the favor my giving HER a full body massage when we see each other again on Friday.

Registered
    May 2005
    It's funny that you say that. I actually joked with her that I could "plan her urbans" or "develop things economically" in exchange. No. I actually agreed to repay the favor my giving HER a full body massage when we see each other again on Friday.
    Well played sir. Well played.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally posted by CPSURaf View post
    Yes.. a woman needs to be in her 40's for cougar status.. however this might fit better for you

puma...
    Thanks, that might be a little better than a cougar

It's funny that you say that. I actually joked with her that I could "plan her urbans" or "develop things economically" in exchange.
    An ex boyfriend used to call me up at work and ask if a permit was needed to lay pipe. TMI, I know.....

+ Reply to thread
Page 48 of 64 FirstFirst ... 38 47 48 49 58 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. The Dating Rules thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 45
    Last post: 24 Apr 2013, 4:04 PM
  2. The NEVERENDING FML thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 44
    Last post: 21 Apr 2013, 8:40 PM
  3. The NEVERENDING When You Die Thread