Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: New MLA program at City College of NY???

Registered
    Apr 2006

New MLA program at City College of NY???

Hi All,

I found out that CUNY- City College of NY has phased out their BSLA program and is now offering an MLA program. Does anyone know more info about the program than what's posted on their website, or anyone planning on applying?

English Ivy

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2006
    All I know about it is that it's not listed on the ASLA's website as being either accredited, or as a candidate for accreditation. For me, that would be a warning sign. Of course, a program has to graduate its' first class before it can be accredited, and the accreditation is retro-active - it counts even if you graduated before the accreditation was granted.

If you don't attend an accredited program, in most states you'd have a harder time getting licensed. Also, if your school doesn't have much of a rep, you may have a harder time getting a job.

I'd ask them (CUNY) about their accreditation status, and see what they say.

Quote Originally posted by English Ivy
    Hi All,

I found out that CUNY- City College of NY has phased out their BSLA program and is now offering an MLA program. Does anyone know more info about the program than what's posted on their website, or anyone planning on applying?

English Ivy

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Hi bdaleray,

Thank you so much for such a quick and informative response. I also didn't see it listed as an accredited or candidate program on the ASLA website. That is a major concern for me because I definitely want to become a licensed landscape architect.

Since we're on the subject of licensure, do you know if it's possible to begin accumulating hours towards the required amount of experience for licensure while still enrolled in a degree program? Or, can it only be done after graduation from an LA program? Just thought I'd ask.

Thanks again.

English Ivy

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2006
    Attending an accredited program would be of great importance to me as well, as it *is* one of those important check-boxes on the application....

The licensure requirement vary by state, and I'm not familiar with NY's, so I'll speak in general terms. You can check CLARB's (Council of Landscape Arch. Registration Boards) website - http://www.clarb.org/ - for the specific requirement.

In general though, most states look for an accredited degree plus a certain amount of time working under the supervision of a licensed landscape architect. For unacredited programs, or unsupervised work, the amount of experience required increases. Most state allow people without *any* degree to sit for the exam, but it may take 12 to 20 years of work experience....

After that, you're eligable to sit for the exam - the LARE. Once you pass that, you pay your money and get that important piece of paper. Once you've passed the test,and gotten licensed in your first state, you can generally get reciprocity in other states, assuming you meet their minimum standards, and get licensed there as well. At the most, you may have an additional section or two of state-specific material that ypu'll have to take.

Easy as pie, right?

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally posted by bdaleray
    Attending an accredited program would be of great importance to me as well, as it *is* one of those important check-boxes on the application....

The licensure requirement vary by state, and I'm not familiar with NY's, so I'll speak in general terms. You can check CLARB's (Council of Landscape Arch. Registration Boards) website - http://www.clarb.org/ - for the specific requirement.

In general though, most states look for an accredited degree plus a certain amount of time working under the supervision of a licensed landscape architect. For unacredited programs, or unsupervised work, the amount of experience required increases. Most state allow people without *any* degree to sit for the exam, but it may take 12 to 20 years of work experience....

After that, you're eligable to sit for the exam - the LARE. Once you pass that, you pay your money and get that important piece of paper. Once you've passed the test,and gotten licensed in your first state, you can generally get reciprocity in other states, assuming you meet their minimum standards, and get licensed there as well. At the most, you may have an additional section or two of state-specific material that ypu'll have to take.

Easy as pie, right?
    Thanks again. I will research the state-specific requirements for NY and will check out the CLARB site. You've been very helpful once again.

English Ivy

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Hi bdaleray,

I called City College and asked about their accreditation status, and I was told that they are currently in candidacy status. The advisor of the program said that once they graduate their first MLA class (June 2008), they'll be eligible to apply for accreditation. So, I wonder if I should wait until then to see if they get ASLA accreditation before I apply?

I know that their BSLA program was ASLA accredited so I don't see why they wouldn't be able to get accreditation for their MLA program...but that's just my opinion.

English Ivy

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Accreditation is often retroactive especially for new programs so even if you graduated before the process is complete you will still be considered to have graduated from an accredited program.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2006
    For landscape programs, accreditaion is *always* retroactive for new programs. - They won't accredit a program until they have a chance to see the actual graduates and their education.

Quote Originally posted by kjelsadek
    Accreditation is often retroactive especially for new programs so even if you graduated before the process is complete you will still be considered to have graduated from an accredited program.
    Ivy - I don't know why there is a disconnect in the information - They say they are candidates, but the ASLA website (http://www.asla.org/nonmembers/educa...didacy_prg.htm) does not list them. The website does, however, have a contact person listed - you might contact him and see what he has to say. From what it sounds like, they *should* be able to become accredited.

As to if you should enroll now, wait, or go someplace, I can't advise that. If you're seriously interested in the program, I'd set up a day to visit the program, and talk to the faculty and students. Sit in on some classes. Also, do the same with a couple of other programs so you have something to compare them to. After that, then decide which program suits you best. It's better to take a few days & spend the money now to be able to make a good decision.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Hi,

Thanks again for your response. I will definitely attend some open houses and request to observe classes; that way I'm able to make an educated decision. I will also contact the ASLA to confirm the school's candidacy status.

Thanks again,

English Ivy

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Hi All,

I have been following up on the candidacy status of the New MLA program at City College, and the program is now listed on the ASLA website under the Candidacy Programs. (http://www.asla.org/nonmembers/educa...didacy_prg.htm)

English Ivy

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2006
    Hi Ivy -

That's great news about the accreditation status. Let me know what you think of the program.

I'd also you to check out other programs in the area, especially if you could do it before you visit CUNY. Good or bad doesn't matter as much, but it'll give you a good benchmark to compare CUNY to. Who knows, you might find you like another program better.

Besides, if you apply (and get accepted) to multiple places, it may give you better leverage as to funding.

Trust your gut instinct, and go where you get the best feel.

Good luck with the process,

Brian

Registered
    Nov 2005
    I wouldn't expect much or any money fron CUNY.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 43
    Last post: 21 Mar 2013, 12:34 PM
  2. Replies: 10
    Last post: 20 Sep 2010, 10:11 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 09 Mar 2009, 5:07 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last post: 17 Apr 2007, 8:03 AM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last post: 17 Jan 2006, 11:58 AM