Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: UT@arlington: SUPA Program

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2006

UT@arlington: SUPA Program

Hello, has any one here graduated from UT@arlington's supa program, and if so do you recommended and how good is it. Also does Arlington offer good internships, is it a requirement of the program to do an internship?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I am not real familar with the program, however I have worked with a few graduates of the program and from what I recall is they were required to do an internship. I know both of the people I am thinking of worked for a while with local municipalities around Arlington. One worked in Keller, TX and I do not recall where the other went. When I asked how they like the program they had good responses. Don't know if that helps I probably could give you some contact info.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Laredo Urbanist
    Hello, has any one here graduated from UT@arlington's supa program, and if so do you recommended and how good is it. Also does Arlington offer good internships, is it a requirement of the program to do an internship?
    I graduated from UTA 5 years ago (wow - doesn't seem that long). I highly recommend it - it's ranked in the top 10 for graduate planning programs (well, I don't know about the last couple of years, but 1997 - 2003 it was). It is accredited and has an excellent reputation in the community.
    Internships are readily available, but they were not required when I was there. I had one, and many of my fellow students had one or more. Assistantships are also available, but I don't know too much about those. Also, the school does have an active job networking branch (area? connections?), so it's easier finding a job after the internship ends.
    Classes are geared towards the working profesisonal - mostly night and weekend classes. I had one weekday afternoon class in the 3 years I was there. Also, the program hires out student classes on projects, so expect some minimal travel for specific classes.
    They've made some changes to the program since I was there, but what I've read looked good. They used to only have 4 tracts/concentrations, but now they have more, plus some certificate programs. I wish the cert programs had been there when I was there - I would have taken extra classes to get one! And if you're interested, ask them about dual degrees - you can combine some of the requirements and get out sooner.
    One of my favorite professors there has left (hazards of a two-professor family - he got lured away, so she left too), but many that I knew are still there. PM me if you want any more info - I'm happy to share what I know. But remember, they have made some changes since I was there.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Thoughts on UT-Arlington
    Student Commons
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 05 Apr 2011, 5:28 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last post: 21 Jan 2011, 11:47 AM
  3. Arlington TOD rap
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 17 Jun 2009, 6:31 PM