Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Who Loves Baby-Seal Kabobs?

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001

Who Loves Baby-Seal Kabobs?

It's seal hunting season again. Do they really need to do this? Holy crap.

Here's the story:

http://www.sfgate.com/columnists/morford/
    RJ is the KING of . The One

Registered
    Sep 2001
    While I do not necessarily agree with the manner in which the seals are hunted, I am even more disturbed at the lengths organizations and people go to stop it.

Can't find links, but have seen stories in which greenpeace admits to paying sealers to skin them alive for the camera, also greenpeace members have been charged and found guilty of intimidation towards sealers by following them home and assaulting them.

Have also seen stories of the sealers having to save the idiots on the ice who don't understand how it moves and thaws quickly.

Then add in the media frenzy with Pam Anderson at the JUNOS this year, McCartney and others and it is really a joke.

Remember these are a rural people, it is no worse than hunting squirrels for food or the way that cattle is treated in a slaughter house. Just because they are baby seals and some asians think the penius is a supplement does not make this wrong. Also remember that most are now shot, the clubbing you see is to get them off the ice and to "finish" the job, just like any other hunter.

Have a piece of seal flipper pie on me.

Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Feb 2006
    I'm not sure where I am...or where I want to be
    I guess I have trouble with some people who get all bent up about CUTE baby seals while eating their hamburgers from old ugly cows. Either you think killing animals for sustinance is wrong, or you don't. I don't get the cuteness factor as a determinant. Well, of course, I do--it's all part of the PR campaign of PETA, they know they can tug more heartstrings if they show the cute baby seals.

I personally eat meat and don't feel bad about that. It is a natural animal part of nature and I don't appologize for it. Nor do I criticize or mock vegetarians. It's a personal choice and I grant each the right to make up their own mind as long as they grant that same freedom to me. I do not like PETA because they are trying to control me, to limit my freedom and force me to follow their own beliefs.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Since when have humans ever killed in a manner other than brutally and with much mess?

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I thought baby seals were hunted for their skins and not the meat? If so, what's the point? Nobody needs a fur coat!

And yes, baby animals are cuter and can tug at our heartstrings. The same reason overseas charities focus on sponsorship of kids and not families...

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Quote Originally posted by abrowne
    Since when have humans ever killed in a manner other than brutally and with much mess?
    Rabbits and Prarie Dogs have both been worse.

Anytime there is a bounty on a animal.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Feb 2005
    Think thats bad, go visit a slaughterhouse some time

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Is that blood all over the inside of the boat???

While I am not absolutely horrified by the thought of killing baby seals, I do agree that the babies are cute and make better PR than a full-grown seal. I wonder-does the seal population need pruning every season, or are the luxuries that come from seals really the only reason to hunt them?
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Salmissra
    Is that blood all over the inside of the boat???

While I am not absolutely horrified by the thought of killing baby seals, I do agree that the babies are cute and make better PR than a full-grown seal. I wonder-does the seal population need pruning every season, or are the luxuries that come from seals really the only reason to hunt them?
    Nothing luxurious about it. Hunting seal is a thousand-year old tradition among native Alaskan cultures. They are "allowed" by the governement that took over their land to continue their traditional sustinance hunting once a year.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    The population does need 'pruning,' to whomever asked. And the industry supports remote villages and Inuit.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Quote Originally posted by CosmicMojo
    Nothing luxurious about it. Hunting seal is a thousand-year old tradition among native Alaskan cultures. They are "allowed" by the governement that took over their land to continue their traditional sustinance hunting once a year.
    The harp seals (shown in the photo) are hunted in Newfoundland, not Alaska. The seals hunted commercially in Alaska are northern fur seals. There it also is the pups that are hunted for their pelts, which make beautiful black coats. The harp seal pups make white coats. In Newfoundland the point of the hunting is the pelts. Any meat is a by-product. Most is not used. In the Alaska commercial hunt the meat was used by the Aleut natives whom the Russians relocated to the Pribiloff Islands specifically for the hunt. There also is Alaskan subsistence hunting, but that should not be confuced with the commercial fur hunts.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by Otis
    The harp seals (shown in the photo) are hunted in Newfoundland, not Alaska. The seals hunted commercially in Alaska are northern fur seals. There it also is the pups that are hunted for their pelts, which make beautiful black coats. The harp seal pups make white coats. In Newfoundland the point of the hunting is the pelts. Any meat is a by-product. Most is not used. In the Alaska commercial hunt the meat was used by the Aleut natives whom the Russians relocated to the Pribiloff Islands specifically for the hunt. There also is Alaskan subsistence hunting, but that should not be confuced with the commercial fur hunts.
    That's what I thought. Sick to be doing that just for fur.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    That's what I thought. Sick to be doing that just for fur.

Have you ever seen a mink or fox farm? Not nice either.

This is a managed hunt with "tags" and quotas.

As for the blood on the boat, ever been in a slaughter house or even a butcher shop? Why do you think old style butchers had sawdust on the floor and that the rumour used to be sausage was made from saw dust?
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Feb 2006
    "all for the sake of profit on the seals' fur (expensive leather goods)"--
    The article makes good points about moral relativism.
    It seems that many of us are OK with using leather, but not fur, but take the cost out of the equation and neither is necessary and both have the same impact, so I can't feel consistant saying I'm OK with leather but not fur. Since I wear leather, I can't criticize someone for wearing fur.
    Last edited by CosmicMojo; 10 Apr 2006 at 8:05 AM.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I'm relieved someone has the guts to go out there and kill those dangerous animals. If a seal bit you in the jugular vein with all its force - you would bleed to death. Period. Thankfully I've never been attacked by a seal....yet. I used to read all about this kinda stuff when I was a kid, you know.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    I'm relieved someone has the guts to go out there and kill those dangerous animals. If a seal bit you in the jugular vein with all its force - you would bleed to death. Period. Thankfully I've never been attacked by a seal....yet. I used to read all about this kinda stuff when I was a kid, you know.
    A chilling image. Imagine being alone in the Chinese wilderness, facing an enraged panda. Just don't wear a bamboo suit when you go out there.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Otis
    A chilling image. Imagine being alone in the Chinese wilderness, facing an enraged panda. Just don't wear a bamboo suit when you go out there.
    Evidently it's the pointed-ear variety of panda that exhibits bloodthirsty tendencies.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    A panda is just a big cousin of the raccoon. What's the worse than could happen? He might break into your house and use your Lazy-Boy.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop
    A panda is just a big cousin of the raccoon. What's the worse than could happen? He might break into your house and use your Lazy-Boy.
    A panda in your house with just five minutes alone could easily inflict the following damages:
    - break the tv remote (probably end up permanently stuck on Animal Planet)
    - soil the upholstery (don't kid yourself, they would not only use your Lazy-Boy, they would sit on any couch, loveseat, or chair they happened upon!)
    - eat all your pretzels or potato chips.
    - guzzle all your beer (they could care less whether you paid $10 for that Thomas Hardy's Ale!)

Registered
    May 2003
    A baby seal bellies up to the bar and the bartender goes "whatl'ya have?"

And the seal responds "anything but a Canadian Club."

Quote Originally posted by donk

Remember these are a rural people, it is no worse than hunting squirrels for food or the way that cattle is treated in a slaughter house. Just because they are baby seals and some asians think the penius is a supplement does not make this wrong.

But they're cute. Save all the cute animals! Cows are ugly, so who gives a flip? But death to those who'll kill a cute animal!

EDIT: I suppose I should have read the thread as my point is already made, but not with color! Anyway, can I have that seal fin with duck sauce?
    Reality does not conform to your ideology.
    http://neighborhoods.chicago.il.us Photographs of Life in the Neighborhoods of Chicago
    http://hafd.org/~jordanb/ Pretentious Weblog.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    I take it this was a meat overlooked in the Carnivore thread poll and that is why it merits a separate thread, lo these many months later?*

*(Unlike, jordanb, I did read the thread before contributing my own smart-@ss remarks. My defense: "Everyone else is doing it" )

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Quote Originally posted by jordanb
    A
    EDIT: I suppose I should have read the thread as my point is already made, but not with color! Anyway, can I have that seal fin with duck sauce?
    Sorry you can only have a belt of

with a

chaser.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    It is not so much the "cute" factor or that they are being "harvested" for furs that makes it is objectionable to me. It is that a baby seal is pretty helpless against an able-bodied man with a club. It is not sporting. It is not hunting. It is sort of like clubbing a mentally-impaired handicapped person.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Sep 2001
    BAD TASTE JOKE AHEAD

Quote Originally posted by otterpop
    . It is that a baby seal is pretty helpless against an able-bodied man with a club. It is not sporting. It is not hunting. It is sort of like clubbing a mentally-impaired handicapped person.
    Based on your logic and considering it is newfies doing it, it probably is somewhat sporting.

(sorry newfies, could not help myself)

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Here is a good article about why they club baby seals...

http://www.slate.com/id/2139026/

believe it or not it appears to be more humane to club them than shooting them.

Here is quote from Dennis Leary on cute animals from his "No Cure for Cancer" routine..."We only want to save the cute animals, don't we? Yeah. Why don't we just have animal auditions. Line 'em up one by one and interview them individually. "What are you?" "I'm an otter." "And what do you do?" "I swim around on my back and do cute little human things with my hands." "You're free to go." "And what are you?" "I'm a cow." "Get in the ****ing truck, ok pal!" "But I'm an animal." "You're a baseball glove! Get on that truck!" "I'm an animal, I have rights!" "Yeah, here's yer ****ing cousin, get on the ****ing truck, pal!" We kill the cows to make jackets out of them and then we kill each other for the jackets we made out of the cows.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Everyone loves melons
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 35
    Last post: 04 Jul 2013, 12:46 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last post: 24 Aug 2008, 1:40 PM
  3. California's State Seal
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 2