Urban planning community

Poll results: New Forum Proposal: Environmental/Natural Resources Planning

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I support the creation of a new forum devoted to said topic.

14 60.87%
  • No, the existing forums are sufficient in covering the subject matter.

8 34.78%
  • Other, explained below.

1 4.35%
+ Reply to thread

Thread: Proposed New Forum (was...I Have a Suggestion...)

Registered
    Jan 2005

Proposed New Forum (was...I Have a Suggestion...)

I really enjoy the forums. As a person building on experience and knowlege, I learn a great deal from everyone here.

I would like to suggest a place in the general forums dedicated to environmental and natural resources planning issues. Where cyburbians can disscuss issues such as open space conservation, land preservation, watershed planning, stream and wetland restoration, storm water mgt., shoreline erosion, point and non-point source pollution, etc.

I am sure that there are others out there that are also interested these and similar topics and would like to dusscuss them in a forum. May bounce this idea to the rest of cyburbia. Thanks for the opportunity to participate in a great forum such as this.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Good point big g. Everything here seems about the built environment--even the image gallery. I support your suggestion.
    I think that one of the great signs of security is the ability to just walk away.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake
    Good point big g. Everything here seems about the built environment--even the image gallery. I support your suggestion.
    Add my name to that list.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Do you think taking a poll would be appropriate to get an idea of how many would support the idea of have a Environmental/Natural Resource Planning Forum?

Registered
    Dec 1998
    Quote Originally posted by big_g
    Do you think taking a poll would be appropriate to get an idea of how many would support the idea of have a Environmental/Natural Resource Planning Forum?
    Moderator note:
    Poll added.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    I'm not sure whether it would get enough traffic to warrant its own separate sub-fourm. Since it is an issue that could be tackled by posting in zoning, or make no small plans or design, I think that individual topics regarding envirornmental/conservation as they apply to specific contexts (ie, integrating green roof tech. into zoning/building codes, etc) should just be posted in the current applicable sub-forum.

The current number of subforums in the Planning & Built Environment forum is sufficiently broad, yet specifc. The addition of more sub-forums that are more specialized would clutter the forums page and create a seldom used forum.

Not naming names, but there are other built environment forums on the web that have too many subforums and therefore are quite unwieldly and stunted.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman
    I'm not sure whether it would get enough traffic to warrant its own separate sub-fourm.
    I once casually tossed out the idea and Dan didn't think it would get sufficient traffic. Linky.

I have started a number of "environmental" threads, usually in the FAC. I also tend to give an environmental view in "normal" planning discussions (example) If environment is not something you think about in the context of your usual work and think it is some "special" topic that only occassionally needs to be addressed, then you are probably just begging to create "the next Aswan Dam", so to speak. I don't know if creating a separate subforum for environmental issues would promote the attitude that environment is something separate from "normal" planning issues or if it would raise awareness etc. If it helped encourage people to think of environmental issues as some small, separate thing not rellevant to most of their work, I think that would be a bad thing. If it made people more aware of how important it is to consider environmental impacts, that would be a good thing. And I honestly don't know which it would tend to do.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I have been posting my environmental threads in the Land Use, Zoning, and Development Control forum. Maybe we could fold environmental issues into this forum somehow?Though I agree with MZ that planning must always have an environmental conscience.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller
    I have been posting my environmental threads in the Land Use, Zoning, and Development Control forum. Maybe we could fold environmental issues into this forum somehow?Though I agree with MZ that planning must always have an environmental conscience.
    What you have been doing is the preferred method. Since your environmental thread probably had to do with creating legislation/regulations to enable them, that is a appropirate sub-forum to post such a thread in.

Now, if your thread topic involved "ways to design a green roof for optimal efficiency", then you post in the Design, Space, and Place sub-forum.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Count me in. Sounds like a forum I would frequent.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Jul 1998
    A bit of history. We used to have such a forum back in the day. It got very little use. We have grown since then so perhaps we can let this poll show how much interest there is.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I would suggest maybe making it a subforum in the Zoning Forum or Current Planning.

I think one problem with environmental planning discussion that will come up is the enabling legislation and acronyms across the country and around the world will be difficult to interpret

An example

ESA = Environmentally Significant Area means Environmental Study Area in another place.

An ANSI in one place may have protected status while in another it is only of interest.

An EA is not always an EA, sometimes it is and EIS.

some places use Golet scores for wetlands others don't

I could go on.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Any other thoughts or votes on this?

Registered
    Mar 2004

Yes....

Quote Originally posted by donk
    I would suggest maybe making it a subforum in the Zoning Forum or Current Planning.
    I agree with this take on this topic at this time and for this reason:

This makes sense.
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Jan 2005
    So Dan,

Is there room in Cyburbia for a Env/Nat Res sub-forum?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. A suggestion for highway signs
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 11 Jul 2012, 4:22 PM
  2. Suggestion about signing threads
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 31 Jul 2008, 1:16 PM
  3. Forum Suggestion
    Cyburbia Issues and Help