Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Learned about the position...

Registered
    Aug 2005

Learned about the position...

i recently learned about an open planning position via an e-mail from a friend. the friend was forwarded the announcement and then forwarded it to me. i looked for the position announcement on the city's website but have yet to find it.

in my cover letter how do i indicate where i learned about the process? do i say from a friend? via a e-mail?

help!
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Feb 2006
    I'm not sure where I am...or where I want to be
    If the position isn't on the city website, I would think that the closing date has already passed? Or else that it's open to current employees only?

To address your specific question, you don't have to say exactly how you learned of the job, you could just say "I was excited to learn about the opportunity to work with the Emerald City as a GIS analyst."

But, you might want to check with the City Human Resources depatment as to why the job isn't showing up on the website. You might save yourself the trouble of applying for a job that's already been filled or something like that. An error like that could affect your credibility too, as far as other current job opportunities at that city. Check your info so you don't make a mistake.

Or it may be that the job's about to be posted on the site. Getting a head start on municipal jobs doesn't really help since they generally hold all application until the closing date and then look at all of them together. If it is about to be posted, you might want to wait in case any extra information will be on the posting. What if they add another skill they want and you don't know so you don't highlight that on your application. I'm assuming the city has a standard application you must fill out to which you can attach a resume and cover letter.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by CosmicMojo
    If the position isn't on the city website, I would think that the closing date has already passed? Or else that it's open to current employees only?

To address your specific question, you don't have to say exactly how you learned of the job, you could just say "I was excited to learn about the opportunity to work with the Emerald City as a GIS analyst."

But, you might want to check with the City Human Resources depatment as to why the job isn't showing up on the website. You might save yourself the trouble of applying for a job that's already been filled or something like that. An error like that could affect your credibility too, as far as other current job opportunities at that city. Check your info so you don't make a mistake.

Or it may be that the job's about to be posted on the site. Getting a head start on municipal jobs doesn't really help since they generally hold all application until the closing date and then look at all of them together. If it is about to be posted, you might want to wait in case any extra information will be on the posting. What if they add another skill they want and you don't know so you don't highlight that on your application. I'm assuming the city has a standard application you must fill out to which you can attach a resume and cover letter.
    well i'm not sure what the deal is about not posting the position, but i called the commissioner's office and the position is still open and it is open to external candidates. so i applied. keep your fingers crossed!!
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Today I learned ...
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 219
    Last post: 04 Sep 2014, 11:19 AM
  2. Replies: 10
    Last post: 24 Apr 2012, 11:46 PM
  3. Lessons Learned
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 01 Sep 2010, 9:04 PM