Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Suggestions for Summer Family Reunion/Vacation

Registered
    Aug 2005

Suggestions for Summer Family Reunion/Vacation

My extended family is tossing around the idea of a summer vacation/family reunion. We're trying to decide on a possible location. You're suggestions are welcome.

It will need to be east coast USA as my grandfather won't fly. It needs to be a multi-generational friendly location. There will be 3 kids under 6, 2 adults over 80, and 10 adults 30+.

So far discussions have centered around Kiawah Island. SC or Cape Cod, MA.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    My family reunion is at a Marriott resort in Lexington, KY. In addition to the horse activities, the resort has golf, tennis, etc. I like your family's beach suggestions better.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    How about Cape May?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    How about Cape Hatteras, or if you want to get away from teh coast, renting cabins in the Smokey Mountains?
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Williamsburg, VA
    Annapolis, MD
    Cape May or nearby Wildwood Crest (the alcohol free Wildwood)

Kiawah is nice but a bit far from Charleston, also look at the Isle of Palms. I had friends rent out a 5,000 sf house on a beach for $1,500 for 5 days (thur - monday).

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Lots of places on the east coast have homes with a gazillion bedrooms that will host an entire family reunion. Hilton Head SC would be fun. Or the "Golden Isles" in GA. Golf, beaches, seafood, historical stuff. My son and I loved the GA islands.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I'll throw out another vote for the coast. I know in North Carolina the summer rental prices for houses on the beach are supposed to be way down. I know that people talk about the Outer Banks a lot and they really are nice, but you could also try places like Atlantic Beach, Surf City, Carolina Beach, and Topsail Island. They all have great beaches and are a bit closer to some civilization and most of all a bit less expensiver than the OBX. (Surf City and Topsail Island would be my first two choices... nice clean quiet beaches and about 35 minutes from either Jacksonville or Wilmington).
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Summertime, huh? I would stay more northerly. How about Block Island, RI, Marthas Vineyard, MA or Acadia National Park in Maine?

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    May 2008

A Family Reunion Cruise

This is from a website advertising the subject matter, but it summarizes it well:
    Why a Family Reunion Cruise?

. . .Value
    Cruises are virtually all-inclusive vacations. One price includes all accommodations, all meals, activities on board the ship, and entertainment. By traveling as a group, you will qualify for special group discounts and rates.

Hassle-Free Vacation
    . . . no shopping, no cooking, and no cleaning. There is no waiting in line, no rental cars, no gas bills, no worries. You unpack once and let the ship's crew do the rest. From cleaning your cabin twice a day (including fresh towels), to 24-hour room service, it's all included in your price.

Multi-Generational Floating Resorts
    . . .something for everyone. With rock climbing walls; ice-skating rinks; roller blade tracks; swimming pools; hot tubs; exercise facilities; movie theaters; Internet cafes; sports bars; libraries; video arcades; kids programs; spa services, shopping; gambling; cooking classes; enrichment seminars; guest lecturers; computer classes; yoga and more, there is plenty to keep the whole family entertained.

...appeals to kids, grandkids, college-age young adults, Moms, Dads, Aunts, Uncles, Grandmas and Grandpas...

Accommodations for Any Budget
    Cruise ships have a number of different types of staterooms for any budget including Suites, Balcony Staterooms, Oceanview Staterooms, and Interior Cabins. Each family can choose which type of stateroom best fits their budget. Some cabins can sleep four or five guests in one room so families with small children do not have to buy more than one cabin.

Convenient Home Port Departures
    . . .With cruise ships departing from 22 ports in the United States and Canada, cruising has never been more convenient. Today, you can find a cruise ship within driving distance of most US cities including Miami, Baltimore, Philadelphia, New York, Galveston, New Orleans, Los Angeles, and Seattle to name a few.

Family Dining
    . . .Each cruise line will make sure that every evening; your group enjoys a lavish meal together, allowing you to switch seats at will to socialize with other members of the family. Want so spend a nice quiet evening away from the group? No problem. Many cruise lines offer alternative dining options that give you a chance to enjoy dinner on your own. . .

Award Winning Entertainment
    . . . Broadway and Las Vegas-style musical revues; comedians; magic shows; piano bars; high energy discos; and live music to keep your group entertained from sun down to sun up.

Family Fun & Getting to Know Each Other
    . . .Family activities like private cocktail parties, group shore excursions; late night fun and festivities will help distant family members get to know one another much better.

High Satisfaction Vacations
    . . .Cruise Line studies show that groups that travel together on a cruise will return again as a group within two years of their first trip. . .
    From:http://www.cruisecheap.com/group_cruises.asp?PageID=180

(I have no vested interested in this website; any other cruise line website; or the cruise industry.)

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 15
    Last post: 29 Mar 2011, 4:12 PM
  2. Summer Vacation Plans
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 41
    Last post: 13 Jun 2004, 12:58 PM
  3. Planning Summer Vacation
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 33
    Last post: 18 Mar 2004, 1:28 PM