Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Working and Grad School.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Nov 2004

Working and Grad School.

Hey guys, I am curious if you new planning students who are starting a masters program in the fall plan on working part time?

I am currently trying to decide if it is worth keeping the job I am in (part time job that is unrealated to planning, but pays decent.. enough to at least give me some spending money), or if I should pull the plug and just go to school..

What does everyone plan on doing?

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by grampafunk
    Hey guys, I am curious if you new planning students who are starting a masters program in the fall plan on working part time?

I am currently trying to decide if it is worth keeping the job I am in (part time job that is unrealated to planning, but pays decent.. enough to at least give me some spending money), or if I should pull the plug and just go to school..

What does everyone plan on doing?
    Work is definitely a necessity for me due to the kid factor. I plan on picking up a part time gig within the school (Rutgers) since they seem to have a lot of work due to the many research centers/institutes. If not I will reprise my weekend shift manager role at McDonald's....would you like fries with that? About 15-20 hours is my plan.

Kim
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally posted by kjelsadek
    Work is definitely a necessity for me due to the kid factor. I plan on picking up a part time gig within the school (Rutgers) since they seem to have a lot of work due to the many research centers/institutes. If not I will reprise my weekend shift manager role at McDonald's....would you like fries with that? About 15-20 hours is my plan.

Kim
    I'm going to be a Residence Don (RA) & either a TA or research assistant depending on the final breakdown of my funding package... honestly, I'd work more if it wasn't for my visa status. This year I'm taking 5 classes (undergrad), working as an RA, working as a lab TA and an internship 25+ hrs a week... so that's about 50 hrs if I had to log how much time I spend doing stuff for the RA gig. Next year I'm guessing will be a breeze in comparison, though I'll definitely be more broke. But yeah, as soon as you get used to it it's really not that bad... now I like being busy because it keeps me more focused when I sit down to do work.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by supergeek1313
    I'm going to be a Residence Don (RA) & either a TA or research assistant depending on the final breakdown of my funding package... honestly, I'd work more if it wasn't for my visa status. This year I'm taking 5 classes (undergrad), working as an RA, working as a lab TA and an internship 25+ hrs a week... so that's about 50 hrs if I had to log how much time I spend doing stuff for the RA gig. Next year I'm guessing will be a breeze in comparison, though I'll definitely be more broke. But yeah, as soon as you get used to it it's really not that bad... now I like being busy because it keeps me more focused when I sit down to do work.
    If I were single and childless I would sign on for the RA gig. I've more or less worked the entire time I've been an undergrad ranging from full time+ to about 20 hours a week. It really depended on the nature of the job but 20-30 hours a week was quite doable while maintaining sanity and a decent GPA.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Nov 2005
    I plan on working FT and going to school PT. Makes the most sense, then I can pay as I go.

Registered
    Nov 2005
    I plan on working FT and going to school PT. Makes the most sense, then I can pay as I go.
    I am going to do the same thing 'til I can find an internship/job in a more-directly related position.

Quote Originally posted by The District
    I am going to do the same thing 'til I can find an internship/job in a more-directly related position.
    I'm doing the same. Might as well keep the paychecks coming while you search for that ever elusive "perfect internship."
    Last edited by mk1515; 10 Apr 2006 at 4:34 PM.

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally posted by mk1515
    I'm doing the same. Might as well keep the paychecks coming while you search for that ever elusive "perfect internship."
    One thing that I would suggest is to look at government jobs. Last semester I worked for my city's economic dev corporation and while the job was not planning, per se, most of the people I worked for held MUPs and MPAs and I got to contact many different planning firms. So while I couldnt necessarily hone GIS skills or what not, I could show that I had experience in a planning-related field and it paid pretty decently.

Registered
    Nov 2005
    One thing that I would suggest is to look at government jobs. Last semester I worked for my city's economic dev corporation and while the job was not planning, per se, most of the people I worked for held MUPs and MPAs and I got to contact many different planning firms. So while I couldnt necessarily hone GIS skills or what not, I could show that I had experience in a planning-related field and it paid pretty decently.
    Yeah, I just landed a new city job which made the decision to go to school pt easier.

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally posted by shishi
    I did the same thing, after getting a full semester with PT work I was offered a full time position and went PT to school. Yes it added an extra year to school but it was worth it in the long range. In all working FT or PT and going to school PT will add 1 to 2 years in grad school. If you can tempur that go for it.
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Tide
    I did the same thing, after getting a full semester with PT work I was offered a full time position and went PT to school. Yes it added an extra year to school but it was worth it in the long range. In all working FT or PT and going to school PT will add 1 to 2 years in grad school. If you can tempur that go for it.
    Yeah I am planning on 3 years including summer classes, but basically taking classes as I can afford them.

Being that I'll be pursuing an MPA this would be ideal. Did you use your school's career services to land the position? Or did you apply on your own?

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally posted by mk1515
    Being that I'll be pursuing an MPA this would be ideal. Did you use your school's career services to land the position? Or did you apply on your own?
    No - our career services is completely awful (this is undergrad). I actually have just gotten used to scouring every job website possible - APA, city agencies, etc. EDC posts their jobs online - www.nycedc.com under "Career Opportunities." Idealist has also been a godsend.

Registered
    Mar 2006
    After 3 months at my first job I decided to take some graduate courses at a university an hour away. I took two classes, that each met from 6-9 in the evening, twice a week. At the time I wasn't married with kids. Luckily, my office had a tuition reimbursement program, where they paid you back if you got an A or B. If I could have finished the whole program with only night classes, I may have stuck with working full-time and taking a couple of classes a semester. But there were two classes only held during the day. After one semester of working full-time and being a part-time student I decided to quit my job to go to school full-time, and after one more year I was done with all my coursework. During that year I worked as a TA and got 70% of my tuition paid for, plus about $175/week, which was enough for me to get by. I never had to take out any loans at all. I still had my thesis to do, but I was ready to get back into the job market. I ended up moving about 3.5 hours away from school, to work full-time and figured I'd still finish my thesis, no problem. By this point I was married and we soon bought our first house, then we had a baby, and my thesis has totally fallen to the back burner. I'm glad I went back to working full-time when I did, but just a word of warning... living far from school and trying to do your thesis while working full-time can be difficult to accomplish.

Registered
    Nov 2005
    No - our career services is completely awful (this is undergrad). I actually have just gotten used to scouring every job website possible - APA, city agencies, etc. EDC posts their jobs online - www.nycedc.com under "Career Opportunities." Idealist has also been a godsend.
    citylimits.org is also a good resource, for NYC though.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Grad school low GPA
    Student Lounge
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 11 Jun 2012, 2:22 PM
  2. Replies: 18
    Last post: 25 Mar 2010, 2:39 PM
  3. Replies: 10
    Last post: 27 Jun 2008, 11:46 AM
  4. Working before grad school
    Student Commons