Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Reputation

Registered
    Feb 2002

I just got an email from an employee at another community and he didn't really have much good to say about another coworker (no, I am not talking about Maister and Michaelski). He didn't come out and say anything bad, but just said he will keep his comments to himself. Which means he has nothing good to say.

I was thinking, if you could be a fly on the wall in a group of people talking about you, would you? I'm not so much talking about the person you cited for a zoning violation, but your coworkers, your counterparts, etc.

My reputation is very important to me. I try to do the best I can at my job, and I don't want anyone thinking less. I personally don't care if someone says I am a dork, fugly, whatever, just don't say that I don't do my job, that I am a bad mother, or a bad person.

Would I want to be the fly on the wall? Yes and no. I would want to know what is being said because than I would be able to correct those things that are being addressed, but on the flip side, it would probably hurt my feelings.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Yeah, I'd go for being The Fly.

It actually happened once when I was about 16. My older brother and his friends were sitting outside in the front yard and just talking. Well, one of the friends starting talking about me, saying that I was alright, but kind of a dork. I overheard the conversation because my bedroom was at the front of the house on the 2nd floor and I had the windows open.

This actually didn't get me upset. It was actually laughable, because the guy saying it was a major loser and had no authority to be commenting about me in such a manner (excuse this momentary egoism), and it simply reinforced the fact that I didn't like my brother's friends (actually didn't really like him much either then).
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Well...I have no delusions about my (many) failings, so... Plus, as a group, and among my friends, we are usually somewhat brutally honest anyway.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    “I have bought golden opinions of all sorts of people.” (Shakespeare: Macbeth, i. 7.)
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Aug 2001
    It has come back to me several times that I have an excellent reputation in this area. We hired an intern last summer that turned down a higher paying internship at another municipality because she heard such good things about me and wanted to work with me instead. I didn't find that out until the end of her internship, but it was one of the nicest things I've ever been told. Really made my year.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    my ears burn when I step out of my office from my office manager/assistant bithcing about me -

I wish I could be a fly that turns back to me so I could just confront her on what she is saying, just so I could understand what her beef is and help her understand why I do things a certain way -

she's fake nice to me so it's hard to confront the issue - some comments do make their way back to me second hand, which again makes it hard to confront the situation

so yeah, it bothers me because I do like to confront problems face to face with people - it's why I like local government, it's so in-your-face -

I have zero respect for people that feel negatively about me and won't confront me

with the public, I have been lucky so far here that people think I'm doing a good job, have leadership but respect people's needs - even people that disgree with everything that's good planning has told my boss they think I'm doing a good job - so I don't have a need to be a fly on the wall there

about who I am personally, I am much more sensitive to comments about me as a working mom, my husband being mister mom, so I'm not sure I would want to be a fly on the wall about that because that's harder to confront, people will feel however they are going to feel about you and you can't change that and you can't spend your personal time changing yourself for other people - so it's very different for me than my work persona

Registered
    Dec 1998
    I think I have a pretty good reputation, professionally and otherwise. I also have high self esteem as well as a good handle on my faults, so if I ever heard anyone say anything bad about me (as if), I'd already be aware of it. People are entitled to their own opinions, so if they think I'm the sh$t, fine, if they think I am sh$t, fine as well. The only thing I ask of people and give in return is respect. You don't have to like me, just respect me, and I'll do the same.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    May 2005
    I think planners in general tend to have a thick skin. As planners, we know that our decisions often result in people being ticked off. Perhaps that trickles down into our personal lives.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    I think I have a decent reputation professionally, I know I am well liked in the community and usually the "go to" person when someone wants something done.
    I go to a lot of social/city events as well and think I have a decent personal reputation with many of the citizens in this community.
    Thos crazy city has a website dedicated to gossippy b!tching about "city happenings", I have seen about 3 negative comments about my work, however, they are never followed by any additional posts and are typically about projects I really could not control any differently than I did.
    I do not have a high self esteem and often question things I do or recommendations I make for specific projects, I really need to get over it though, I have yet to have a Board member disagree with any of my recommendations..

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    I'd like to be a fly sometimes, but I think I would be taking too many side trips to the women's locker room That's right, I went there...

ANYWAYS, I really do not care if I have a good or bad reputation. I have been trying to be true to myself recently and who better to build a reputation with than me.

Although it was good to hear from my old boss that the City Manager likes me because I am a "Straight Shooter." That was cool to hear.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN
    Although it was good to hear from my old boss that the City Manager likes me because I am a "Straight Shooter." That was cool to hear.
    -With middle management written all over?

I don't have much of a rep. I've never really stayed anywhere long enough.
    What luck! A random assemblage of words never sounded less intelligent.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    They would probably say, "He's a good guy, but he spends too much time in Cyburbia."
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I have firmly held to the maxim that if everyone likes me, I'm not doing my job...
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Planderella
    I think I have a pretty good reputation, professionally and otherwise. I also have high self esteem as well as a good handle on my faults, so if I ever heard anyone say anything bad about me (as if), I'd already be aware of it. People are entitled to their own opinions, so if they think I'm the sh$t, fine, if they think I am sh$t, fine as well. The only thing I ask of people and give in return is respect. You don't have to like me, just respect me, and I'll do the same.
    Ditto to everything you said. I feel that I have a very good reputation as well - I am friendly, helpful, and follow through. I've overheard people talking about me but they were good things.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2005
    I would prefer not to know what people thought of me unless it was constructuve criticism. I am confident in my work, my relationships, and my extracurricular activities. I might be likely to hold a grudge or act differently around people if I knew they were dissing me.

I am always open to criticism and suggestions though. I guess what I don't know cannot hurt me.

I guess I feel that if someone was bad mouthing my reputation someone who is an actual friend of mine would make me aware of this situation.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Mastiff
    I have firmly held to the maxim that if everyone likes me, I'm not doing my job...
    luckily my town manager feels that way too - lol

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Some people like me, some people do not. I however go to sleep at night knowing that I spend my day in an ethical, productive, supportive, and appropriate manner, and in cases where it truly matters those in charge will see that, and not think or speak bad of me.

I agree that reputation is important if it is with the right people and that is not difficult... but knowing who the right people are, now that is difficult. Sometimes the right people may be your family or the elderly lady on the corner and not your boss or potential employer.
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

The mayor usually tells people that if they seek the "no ifs, ands, or buts" case, they should see me. If it's grey they seek, they should go see my boss. That's the reputation I've got and I'm fine with it.

As to what other people think about me? I don't think about it and don't plan to, either.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 20 Sep 2011, 2:18 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 15 Sep 2011, 5:09 PM
  3. Replies: 34
    Last post: 08 May 2011, 8:55 PM
  4. Replies: 0