Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Ethics - Accepting at Two Shools

  1. #1
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2006
    Location
    athens, ga
    Posts
    146

    Ethics - Accepting at Two Shools

    Hypothetical Situation - What prevents someone from accepting at two of the schools they've been accepted at? They want a decision, but it's not a contract. Playing devil's advocate, if they're not willing to commit to assistantships or other support until later in the year, why should I have to decide now?

    As I see it, the potential downside is in 'burning the bridge' at that institution - If I decide not to go at the last minute, then they probably would never consider me in the future.

    What it *does* do, however, is deny that slot to another candidate who has been waitlisted.

    Now, as a part of my personal ethics, I'm not comfortable doing this. Still, the thought *did* cross my mind. Several times.

  2. #2
    you also guarantee losing your deposit at the school you dont go to

  3. #3
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2006
    Location
    athens, ga
    Posts
    146
    Quote Originally posted by plannerer
    you also guarantee losing your deposit at the school you dont go to
    But they're not asking for a deposit. At least they haven't done so yet.

  4. #4
    Super Moderator kjel's avatar
    Registered
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Wishing I were in Asia somewhere!
    Posts
    9,752
    Blog entries
    5
    Quote Originally posted by bdaleray
    Hypothetical Situation - What prevents someone from accepting at two of the schools they've been accepted at? They want a decision, but it's not a contract. Playing devil's advocate, if they're not willing to commit to assistantships or other support until later in the year, why should I have to decide now?

    As I see it, the potential downside is in 'burning the bridge' at that institution - If I decide not to go at the last minute, then they probably would never consider me in the future.

    What it *does* do, however, is deny that slot to another candidate who has been waitlisted.

    Now, as a part of my personal ethics, I'm not comfortable doing this. Still, the thought *did* cross my mind. Several times.
    It's a fine line, but I would say it depends on why you want to do that. If you are waiting for funding to come down the pipeline than I suppose it isn't too bad to do. If you are doing it just because you can't decide on where to go then that is different. Just my $.02.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

  5. #5
    Cyburbian H's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2003
    Location
    MKS
    Posts
    2,847
    Can you accept conditionally to funding? That way if you donít get it and donít go, you have done nothing against your ethics.

    *this also lets them know the significance about the funding.
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

  6. #6
    Member
    Registered
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    3
    I'd consider whether there was a waiting list....

  7. #7
    Member
    Registered
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York, New York
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally posted by bdaleray
    Hypothetical Situation - What prevents someone from accepting at two of the schools they've been accepted at? They want a decision, but it's not a contract. Playing devil's advocate, if they're not willing to commit to assistantships or other support until later in the year, why should I have to decide now?

    As I see it, the potential downside is in 'burning the bridge' at that institution - If I decide not to go at the last minute, then they probably would never consider me in the future.

    What it *does* do, however, is deny that slot to another candidate who has been waitlisted.

    Now, as a part of my personal ethics, I'm not comfortable doing this. Still, the thought *did* cross my mind. Several times.
    what do you do if your first choice hasn't sent you the official acceptance letter yet and your second choice wants to know by friday?

  8. #8
    Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    7,596
    This sort of happened to me, back in 1992....

    I got accepted to several schools, and accepted admission to Penn State. 2 weeks after that, I was notified that I received a 1/2 tuition scholarship at Ball State. Figuring out the cost savings (over 18K per year), I ate the $350 housing deposit for Penn State, and enrolled at BSU. Have never regretted that decision.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

  9. #9
    Super Moderator kjel's avatar
    Registered
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Wishing I were in Asia somewhere!
    Posts
    9,752
    Blog entries
    5
    Quote Originally posted by jax
    what do you do if your first choice hasn't sent you the official acceptance letter yet and your second choice wants to know by friday?
    Call your first choice and be polite about it and say that you have been admitted elsewhere but you really would like to attend school there but have a decision deadline. You could probably get a fast answer from them at this point.

    Kim
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

  10. #10
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    34

    No Problems

    I have no problem with excepting at two schools. If they are gonna try and screw with you by not telling you what your funding is until after you accept, you have no choice but to hedge your bets.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

  1. Accepting Gifts
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 19
    Last post: 24 Dec 2010, 12:12 AM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last post: 13 Jul 2008, 7:34 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last post: 25 Mar 2008, 6:38 PM
  4. Replies: 26
    Last post: 25 Apr 2007, 3:34 PM
  5. Ethics
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 04 Dec 2003, 2:12 PM