Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Enneagram Type

Registered
    Feb 2004

Your Enneagram Type

The enneagram is psychological system used to understand and classify personality 'types'. The basic idea is that people tend unconsciously to manifest certain psychological tendencies in the way they think, feel, and act. Armed with the knowlege of how one tends to mechanically respond to a given situation makes the job of consciously breaking free of these tendencies much easier (Like Socrates' credo 'know thyself')

As I don't expect most people to be familiar with the system or even to particularly care about it, I have, largely for entertainment purposes, provided links with descriptions to the nine basic types. To give it that personal touch I have named prominent Cyburbians who I feel exhibit some of the predominant characteristics of each type (and could actually BE those types - understand my contact with most Cyburbians is limited to a few personal meetings and how y'all post on the various forums forms the basis of my opinions. i.e. - I could be WAY off)

#1 The Reformer. By far the most numerous type here. Goes along with the planning field. Most typical examples suburb repairman or Gedunker
    http://www.9types.com/writeup/enneagram.html#1

#2 The Helper. Probably Jaxspra is a good example.
    http://www.9types.com/writeup/enneagram.html#2

#3 The Motivator. Michaelskis comes quickly to mind.
    http://www.9types.com/writeup/enneagram.html#3

#4 The Romantic. By his own admission Dobopoq is this type (with a 5 wing). I've seen little evidence to the contrary to disagree.
    http://www.9types.com/writeup/enneagram.html#4

#5 The Thinker. I was going to say Dan or jordanb. But to be honest I don't think I have seen sufficient evidence for either to squarely fall within this type. I'll happily accept nominations if anyone thinks they are or know a 5.
    http://www.9types.com/writeup/enneagram.html#5

#6 The Loyalist. Illinoisplanner maybe? Another type not found in great abundance here in Cyburbia.
    http://www.9types.com/writeup/enneagram.html#6

#7 The Enthusiast. The most obvious one that comes to mind is Bear up North.
    http://www.9types.com/writeup/enneagram.html#7

#8 The Confronter. The one and only El Guapo. Go ahead and prove the point by denying it.
    http://www.9types.com/writeup/enneagram.html#8

#9 The Mediator. I would be one example. Probably Teshadoh qualifies as well.
    http://www.9types.com/writeup/enneagram.html#9

If I haven't named you and you're interested in how I might classify you go ahead and ask me. I probably don't have a clue, but this fact won't stop me from trying!
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    #6 The Loyalist. Illinoisplanner maybe? Another type not found in great abundance here in Cyburbia.
    http://www.9types.com/writeup/enneagram.html#6
    Hey, thanks for that. I think you hit the nail on the head. But they make 6's sound so bad in that. Oh well. I might be a 6w5 as well.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by illinoisplanner
    Hey, thanks for that. I think you hit the nail on the head. But they make 6's sound so bad in that. Oh well. I might be a 6w5 as well.
    ALL the types have good AND bad qualities.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Nov 2004
    I'm #5, "The Thinker"

I'm also an INTP on the Myers-Briggs test, which is also "The Thinker"

I think too much
    "I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every single minute of it!"

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    What about the ZMan?

Is there a place I could take a test and find out on my own?
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN
    What about the ZMan?

Is there a place I could take a test and find out on my own?
    There are a couple different length enneagram tests here:
    http://similarminds.com/personality_tests.html

The longer the test the greater the accuracy usually.

Quote Originally posted by jread
    I'm #5, "The Thinker"

I'm also an INTP on the Myers-Briggs test, which is also "The Thinker"

I think too much
    I seriously considered you as the most representative example, but am reluctant to simply declare you a five because it was hard for me to gauge your emotional detachment based on many of your posts.
    Last edited by nerudite; 11 Oct 2005 at 10:43 AM.

Registered
    Feb 2002
    I hesitate to have you guess what I might be so I took the test:

#1 Perfectionist/Reformer

Registered
    Aug 1997
    #5 The Thinker. I was going to say Dan or jordanb. But to be honest I don't think I have seen sufficient evidence for either to squarely fall within this type. I'll happily accept nominations if anyone thinks they are or know a 5.
    http://www.9types.com/writeup/enneagram.html#5
    This is me. This describes me almost perfectly.

Note how my tagline even fits this, noticing how others do not think as hard as I do.
    JOE ILIFF

"Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think."
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Registered
    Nov 2004
    I seriously considered you as the most representative example, but am reluctant to simply declare you a five because it was hard for me to gauge your emotional detachment based on many of your posts.
    You should ask my fiancee, she can tell you all about my emotional detachment
    "I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every single minute of it!"

#1 The Reformer. By far the most numerous type here. Goes along with the planning field. Most typical examples suburb repairman or Gedunker
    You scare me Maister. Type 1 -- 66%, with "wings" of 5 (59%) and 8 (58%).
    Not for better. Not for worse. And certainly not for lunch.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I don't like mine. It is pretty true, but I don still don't have to like it.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    #9 Calmness, fwiw.
    Last edited by mendelman; 10 Oct 2005 at 2:56 PM.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by maister
    #9 The Mediator. I would be one example. Probably Teshadoh qualifies as well.
    http://www.9types.com/writeup/enneagram.html#9
    I took the long test and this is what it said. I am a Type 9. Upon reading what was written about it, it is very close.

To quote:
    "Average 9s may distract themselves from tough problems with soothing but trivial tasks (e.g. web-surfing, aimless chatter)."
    Maybe this explains my post count and frequent "checking in" of Cyburbia...

"at worst 9s forget who they themselves are, passively agreeing with others and afraid to assert their own desires. 9s learning the Enneagram may take a long time to figure out their type because they identify more with others than with their own true selves."
    This also jumped out at me...
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman
    #9 Calmness, fwiw.
    You do exhibit type one wing qualities as well (perfectionist tendencies such as replacing all caps with lower case)

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    #3 The Motivator. Michaelskis comes quickly to mind.
    http://www.9types.com/writeup/enneagram.html#3
    Ummm yea.

That is a given.
    The most foolish thing one can do this fall is to vote for Clinton or Trump. Wake up, get out of the matrix, and send a message to the political establishment that you won't play their game.

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Maister, hey, thanks for listing me as a #2, when reading about 2's it seemed to fit my personality.
    I took the test and came back as a #3 with a sexual variant
    These sorts of tests are hard for me as my answer could change at any given moment. I took the short test and came back with an 8 and the longer test and came back as a #3.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    You do exhibit type one wing qualities as well (perfectionist tendencies such as replacing all caps with lower case)
    Well, you're right. I just makes more sense in the sentence, because if I were to type words the first of each would have to be lower case.

I think I'm going to go distract myself.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Jaxspra
    Maister, hey, thanks for listing me as a #2, when reading about 2's it seemed to fit my personality.
    I took the test and came back as a #3 with a sexual variant
    These sorts of tests are hard for me as my answer could change at any given moment. I took the short test and came back with an 8 and the longer test and came back as a #3.
    #3's are good at 'packaging' themselves and are extremely adept at projecting whatever image suits them and in the process can come to believe it. It's quite possible you are a 3 who wishes to be percieved as a two, although I suspect you do in fact posess many 2 qualities - that's partly what 'wing' means.

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    #3's are good at 'packaging' themselves and are extremely adept at projecting whatever image suits them and in the process can come to believe it. It's quite possible you are a 3 who wishes to be percieved as a two, although I suspect you do in fact posess many 2 qualities - that's partly what 'wing' means.
    I think you are probably right, and yes, when taking the test I did score high with regard to #2 and #8; both of which suit me to a T...

Registered
    Jul 1998
    I'm a 9. I also came up with almost the same trait in strengthfinder. In that one interconnectedness was #1 and empathy was 2.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Apr 2005
    Off-topic:
    Good thread topic Maister! On lunchbreak now, but looking forward to commenting more later.
    "The current American way of life is founded not just on motor transportation but on the religion of the motorcar, and the sacrifices that people are prepared to make for this religion stand outside the realm of rational criticism." -Lewis Mumford

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN
    I took the long test and this is what it said. I am a Type 9. Upon reading what was written about it, it is very close.
    I'd thoroughly agree and I'm surprised you got it the first time. 9's frequently mistype themselves because they habitually see things through other people's eyes (like your quote said, duh).
    There's one other prominent easy going Cyburbian type 9 that I can think of. Based on what you now know, does anyone want to guess who the remaining type 9's might be before they post?

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I took a short test and came back with a 5 -- the Thinker. In the test it said 5's need to feel knowledgeable and independent to be happy, and that pretty much fits me.

BTW, I'm an INTJ on the Meyers-Briggs scale.

Registered
    Feb 2000
    I'm a 2.

type score type behavior motivation
    2 18 I must be helpful and caring to be happy.
    9 17 I must be peaceful and easy to get along with to be happy.
    6 15 I must be secure and safe to be happy.
    3 14 I must be impressive and attractive to be happy.
    8 14 I must be strong and in control to be happy.
    1 12 I must be perfect and good to be happy.
    7 10 I must be high and entertained to be happy.
    4 7 I must avoid painful feelings to be happy.
    5 6 I must be knowledgable and independent to be happy.
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I am a Type 9 with a sexual variant. I would have guessed that before taking the test.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. What Type of 6-Pack
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 29 Oct 2012, 4:19 PM
  2. What type of job would you do pro formas in?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 10 Jan 2011, 9:36 PM
  3. What type of laptop?
    Student Commons
    Replies: 33
    Last post: 12 Jun 2010, 3:06 PM
  4. Words you just can't type!
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 31
    Last post: 06 Apr 2004, 8:05 PM
  5. new building type