Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Trip generation rates for botanical garden

Registered
    Apr 2006

Trip generation rates for botanical garden

Hi all,
    I am working on a University project where an extension is proposed for the botanical garden. I wanted to get some trip generation from the new growth to do some traffic analysis. I looked in the ITE Manual and on ITE website but am unable to find anything. Does anybody out there have any idea on this?

Any help will be deeply appreciated
    Thanks

Registered
    Jul 2005
    Tough one... amusement park or some of the attraction-type things might be a decent analogue. Better to find out their existing attendance and try to figure how much the expansion will affect that (not much i suspect, unless the expansion is something different and not just more of what they already offer). Additionally, many of these places have big differences between their usual attendance and whatever their peak day is (festival days), you may need to take that into account.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    I can't help you with the traffic counts but as a side issue, you might want to look into the controversy regarding the Atlanta Botanical Garden's new parking deck that they were able to get built in the middle of an adjacent public park (an Olmsted designed park at that) over strong neighborhood opposition.

http://friendsofpiedmontpark.org/
    As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron. - H.L. Mencken

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Random Traffic Guy
    Tough one... amusement park or some of the attraction-type things might be a decent analogue.
    Wouldn't a passive recreation area be more appropriate? Or maybe a zoo?

Registered
    Nov 2002
    What about a museum? A botanical garden is like a museum of plants . . . sort of. I definitely don't think an amusement park would have similar traffic.

Registered
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally posted by jmello
    Wouldn't a passive recreation area be more appropriate? Or maybe a zoo?
    I'm stuck too much in big boxes and arguing the fine points of various housing types. You're right, or museum as Seabishop says if there was data for it. There's also the park uses, gotta check the descriptions and see what is the best fit. Unfortunately I suspect that most of these will have about 2 observations, making them very sketchy to rely on.

BANNED
    Registered
    Mar 2006

Cultural zone

Quote Originally posted by johny120
    Hi all,
    I am working on a University project where an extension is proposed for the botanical garden...
    In Broadacre City the Arboretum is on the main thorofare across the street from a university.

bud...

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by johny120
    Hi all,
    I am working on a University project where an extension is proposed for the botanical garden. I wanted to get some trip generation from the new growth to do some traffic analysis. I looked in the ITE Manual and on ITE website but am unable to find anything. Does anybody out there have any idea on this?

Any help will be deeply appreciated
    Thanks

Sorry I don't have an answer for you or an easy parking ratio to throw out for a botanical garden!!? I think you will have to think outside the box for this problem. For inspiration, might I suggest Donald Shoup's " High Cost of Free Parking" for good information about some of the unreliability and statistical insignficance of many of ITE's trip generation numbers and data.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Health club trip generation rates
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 02 Feb 2011, 1:02 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last post: 08 Dec 2009, 12:58 PM
  3. ITE trip generation and parking rates
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 14 Aug 2008, 12:56 PM