Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Parking regulations in village areas

Registered
    Nov 2002

Parking regulations in village areas

I'm trying to find some good parking/loading regulations that pertain to small town village areas, particularly those without transit.

I know what we should be promoting in theory - shared parking, etc. But the challenge is coming up with nuts and bolts regulations that allow for reinvestment without burdening residential side streets with parking.

What new or progressive approaches has your community come up with that go beyond the standard minimum parking requirements? What has the effect been? (ps - I'm not looking for parking lot design standards)

Registered
    Feb 1998
    public parking. hopefully funded in part by a business improvement district.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    My current jurisidiction and previous one, had a process called cash-in-lieu of onsite parking in teh enabling legislation.

Basically, it is a levy or sum to be collected for sites that can't provide parking on site and used to enhance/maintain or create parking at other locations.

One problem with it is collecting enough to pay for a space in a real estate market that is really hot.

I would like to hear other's solutions as well.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    May 2003
    Our downtown parking is based on supporting pedestrian oriented uses. Our downtown has only two street front parking lots and very few places where a car can cross the pedestrian sidewalks. The basic standard for building is retail oriented storefronts.

The parking standards are intended to support pedestrian uses and to allow new pedestrian uses, even when they would normally require more parking.

The parking goals

1. A change of use is allowed even if it requires more parking, if the new use is a pedestrian oriented use (a defined term)

2. An existing building with pedestrian oriented design (also defined) can be expanded by 15% without providing additional parking.

3. A site retains nonconforming parking credit for existing square footage if destroyed by disaster or demolished for a new building -- as long as the new building is pedestrian oriented design.

4. Mixed use parking (residential over business) allows one unit per residence (a reduced number).

5. The City will give benefits (usually City development and maintenance) of a private parking lot as long as the private lot allows public parking. The private lot retains some ability to reserve spaces for their own use but only for the time of that use (e.g. an office use could restrict 8 to 5, and the spaces become public outside that limit).

6. An in-lieu parking program and fee is established. A new building can pay a fee for parking as long as additional parking has been created by the City. The City cannot take a fee and not provide parking. At present, we have created enough spaces to allow some in-lieu fee payments. In lieu fees do not provide reserved spaces.

The key assumptions behind this ordinance are that one unrestricted space is equal to two restricted spaces. (VTI puts the number at 1.5 to 2.5, so we split the difference). We want as many unrestricted spaces and as few restricted spaces as possible. Also, the City is creating additional public spaces with on-street parking. We have very wide streets, and some are becoming parking streets rather than traffic streets. The goal is to have more space devoted to building and less space devoted to parking. The final step is parking management if needed. Keep close in spaces for customers and let employees walk to less desirable spaces.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 22 Apr 2008, 1:52 PM
  2. Replies: 14
    Last post: 12 Oct 2005, 4:52 PM
  3. Replies: 12
    Last post: 05 May 2005, 1:56 PM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last post: 13 Jun 2003, 3:52 PM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last post: 22 Apr 2000, 12:08 PM