Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: McGill MUP

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2006

McGill MUP

I have a little dilemma here. I would like to attend McGill for my MUP, but they have not made any funding awards yet. Meanwhile, the other schools I do have funding from, the University of Illinois and Iowa State, would like to know my decision by Saturday, 4/15. Are any of you out there McGill students or former applicants that can give me some insight into funding there. Do they give any funding at all?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Nov 2004
    I know a girl that got into McGill.. Same situation as yourself... she decided to go elsewhere based on that fact..

Registered
    Apr 2006
    McGill does not usually give funding for its MUP program. There may be opportunities for TAships with the Geography department, particularly if you have some knowledge of GIS and/or have an undergraduate degree in Geography. If you're interested in transportation, Murtaza Haider, heads a research unit called MILUTE, and he occasionally hires research assistants. You might want to contact him to inquire about opportunities for the upcoming year.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    I believe this is a general problem with applying to schools in Canada... one of my friend applied in Toronto for a Theater Masters (don't laugh)... she was accepted, but they were very vague, saying she might get money, but they didn't know yet for sure.

In the meantime she had a full ride plus basic living expenses to 2 schools in the US and a full ride plus a VERY generous stipend at a third. Even though she really liked the program in Toronto, and has family living there, she declined simply 'cause (as it's said 'round here) you have to follow the money.
    What luck! A random assemblage of words never sounded less intelligent.

Registered
    May 2003
    To which campus of UofI were you accepted? UPP is one of the few fields where UIC is more highly regarded than UIUC.
    Reality does not conform to your ideology.
    http://neighborhoods.chicago.il.us Photographs of Life in the Neighborhoods of Chicago
    http://hafd.org/~jordanb/ Pretentious Weblog.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2006
    I was accepted to UIUC. I did my undergrad at UIUC, and that is one factor why I do not want to go there for grad school. UIC can't be better than UIUC at Urban planning because UIUC is number 1 at everything. (They teach that there)
    Thank you all for the advice. I am gonna follow the money to a town that is even smaller than urbana and surrounded by even more corn than urbana too.

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally posted by njm
    I believe this is a general problem with applying to schools in Canada... one of my friend applied in Toronto for a Theater Masters (don't laugh)... she was accepted, but they were very vague, saying she might get money, but they didn't know yet for sure.

In the meantime she had a full ride plus basic living expenses to 2 schools in the US and a full ride plus a VERY generous stipend at a third. Even though she really liked the program in Toronto, and has family living there, she declined simply 'cause (as it's said 'round here) you have to follow the money.
    I don't think that's very accurate. I applied to two Canadian schools - Queen's & Univ. of Toronto and in my acceptance letter was the amount of funding that I had been offered; granted, UofT didn't give me the break down but when I spoke to them they told me the stipend of a TAship so I know that there will still be a large grant as well.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2006
    I think it really depends. I got accepted to UofT just like SuperGeek but was offered no funding and was given no promise or intimation that a TAship would be possible even though I already have an M.A. and some excellent research experience... I'm actually waiting to find out if they'll let me defer for a year so I can save more $$... it's really awful.

I graduated from McGill's MUP program and don't remember anyone recieving funding. If you can get another school provide funding, I would jump on it.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. School: McGill McGill MUP
    Student Commons
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 21 Jan 2013, 3:19 PM
  2. What school? McGill or Penn?
    Student Commons
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 11 Apr 2012, 7:39 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 23 Sep 2009, 4:02 PM