Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Paying bills online = identity theft???

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004

Paying bills online = identity theft???

One of the planners here has had his credit card numbers stolen and used in London for currency exchange. He figures someone got his credit card number from spyware on his computer. I pay a lot of my bills on line, figuring its secure and nothing like that could ever happen to me (well there probably isnt enough $$ in any of my accounts and definately no credit cards but still...).

Anyway, has anyone around Cyburbia had a problem with identifiy theft? How many pay their bills or bank online??

Registered
    Mar 2005
    I pay all of my bills online, but I do it through the bank website which does not require me to enter any credit card or account information. I use McAfee on the computer at home which scans for spyware and other junk. I also frequently check to see what "processes" are running in the Task Manager. If I see something that I don't recognize, I run a search to find out what folder it is in. I have found a few unauthorized programs this way.

I also change all of my passwords every few months.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    I had been a vicitim of ID Theft.
    Apparently preapproved credit card applications are not forwarded by mail but the bills were, and that is how I found out about it.
    So to clear myself it involved: 2 credit card companies, the 3 credit report companies, 2 Police Departments, U.S. Postal Inspectors, and an Attorney (my cousin )
    Not to mention the numerous letters, documents, and phone calls.

I do not pay bills on line.
    I have bought plane tickets on line using that airline's frequent flier credit card.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by JNA
    I had been a vicitim of ID Theft.
    Apparently preapproved credit card applications are not forwarded by mail but the bills were, and that is how I found out about it.
    So to clear myself it involved: 2 credit card companies, the 3 credit report companies, 2 Police Departments, U.S. Postal Inspectors, and an Attorney (my cousin )

I've always wondered where the liability is in fraud resulting from those pre-approved and unsoliticited stuff they send out. I get tons of stuff sent all the time and have called telling them not to but they still do it. Even checks which are actual checks they won't stop sending.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner
    I've always wondered where the liability is in fraud resulting from those pre-approved and unsoliticited stuff they send out. I get tons of stuff sent all the time and have called telling them not to but they still do it. Even checks which are actual checks they won't stop sending.
    http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/.../prescreen.htm

It works, we did it last month.

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by jmello
    That's awesome jmello! Thanks for the link.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    I'm with ya JNA. After a year of paperwork, phone calls, etc. things got cleared up. It's not fun and very time consuming. I'm still very gunshy, but the system works and I didn't have to pay anything.

When I was on the phone with the CitiBank person working on my case, she gave me the address they used and I Goggled it for fun. It was in South Chicago and the lady siad - "Please do not go there and try to resolve the issue yourself." I just chuckled, I had no intention of going to the southside of Chicago (except to a White Sox game).
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Online data and identity protection?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 13 Aug 2012, 2:25 PM
  2. Replies: 18
    Last post: 17 Nov 2011, 12:52 PM
  3. ID Theft Protection... Legit?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 10 Mar 2008, 7:57 PM