Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Anyone used cross-classification analysis?

Registered
    Dec 2005

Anyone used cross-classification analysis?

I don't understand how the trip rates are determined. How is the data for trips gathered? Anybody?

Basically I'm trying to do statistical transportation analysis for a class and am really struggling...any input is appreciated.

Registered
    May 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Jess502
    I don't understand how the trip rates are determined. How is the data for trips gathered? Anybody?

Basically I'm trying to do statistical transportation analysis for a class and am really struggling...any input is appreciated.
    The quickest and easiest thing to do is find a copy of the ITE Trip Generation manual. That's always been a pretty good estimate for me.
    Maintaining enthusiasm in the face of crushing apathy.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    What is cross-classification analysis? I've never heard that term applied in trip generation.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Tranplanner
    What is cross-classification analysis? I've never heard that term applied in trip generation.

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl..._n9453869/pg_4

"Although there are several general alternative structures for specifying travel demand trip generation models, the cross-classification analysis procedure generally is used in Florida models. This procedure is based on household tripmaking as its level of analysis. Homebased trip productions are generated using a cross-classification model, which stratifies dwelling units among five household size categories and four auto availability categories. This means that survey data are necessary to support the development of trip generation rates for 20 cross-classification cells.

Conversely, the proposed lifestyle model needs only 12 cross-classification cells because households are stratified by three lifestyle types and four auto availability categories. Travel demand modelers have questioned the suitability of the standard cross-classification trip generation model. An analysis was conducted to test whether an alternative trip generation model could better explain the trip-making behavior of Volusia County residents. Previous analyses of other models throughout Florida have shown that the standard trip generation model overestimates the number of trips made by retired households.

A preliminary analysis of the survey data strongly indicated that other variables may be more statistically significant in determining trip production rates by purpose than those in the traditional crossclassification trip generation model used in Florida (such as dwelling unit type, household size and number of available vehicles). Therefore, an extensive investigation was needed to determine which independent variables were most important for predicting trip productions."

Registered
    Dec 2005
    That would explain why I could mainly find info about it in Florida. For some reason it was in my manual (not fully explained) by three Ohio State professors. Thanks for the tip Coragus.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 29 Mar 2011, 12:46 PM
  2. Cross-walk signs
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 07 May 2008, 4:50 PM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last post: 06 Feb 2008, 3:39 PM
  4. Zoning classification of churches
    Land Use and Zoning