Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Where is everyone headed? (college/university)

Registered
    Mar 2005

Where is everyone headed? (college/university)

Where is everyone headed next year? I'll be going to NYU on a graduate assistantship.

Registered
    Nov 2005
    I'm having a very difficult time deciding between NYU and UCL in London. I've contacted students from both programs and they both have strong cases for their respective programs.
    NYU has the huge advantage of being in NYC, which is where I'd like to eventually work and live. The NY reason led me to foolishly apply to Columbia before realizing their program was not for me. NYU has really good connections with employers in the city, allows cross registering of classes at their Law, Business and RE faculties, and offers very detailed post-grad employment stats (which is reassuring).
    UCL's program is one year long, therefore deciding to go to NYU would end up costing me twice as much as UCL, as well as one year of foregone income. I think the big advantage of UCL is the London connection. London is a great place to study planning right now, with the huge redevelopment projects, the Olympics, etc. Apparently, there's a huge shortage of planners in UK right now, so employment opportunities should be vast. But I don't want to live in London forever, and I'm scared a UK degree is not portable to North America.
    It must be annoying for everyone on this board to read these narcissistic "where should i go" posts, but I had to. You guys are so smart and offer great advice (flattery will get you everywhere). Congrats to everyone who's decided and best of luck in your academic career.

Registered
    Nov 2005

Registered
    May 2003
    FWIU you might have problems trying to get an American job with a British degree. The planning systems are too different.
    Reality does not conform to your ideology.
    http://neighborhoods.chicago.il.us Photographs of Life in the Neighborhoods of Chicago
    http://hafd.org/~jordanb/ Pretentious Weblog.

Registered
    Jan 2006
    I'm heading to Iowa State University with an assistantship.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2006
    I'm headed to the University of Georgia (MLA) with nothing concrete, but a lot of potential...

Right now it's looking like a waiver of out-of-state tuition for the 1st year, and perhaps a part-time teaching gig with a section of an undergraduate class. That'd work for everyone, as it comes out of a different pot than the assistantships, so there's more to go around.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2004
    Bit late since i've been here for a couple months already.. working on my MUP at University of Melbourne in Australia. I like the program and I especially like the people. And I get to see lots of presentations and discussions of planning practice in various cities around the world, which is a major reason I came here.

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Georgia Tech with a graduate assistantship

Quote Originally posted by reginator
    Georgia Tech with a graduate assistantship
    Yep, Me too!

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Shouldn't be too hard to figure out who I am based on my location...

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 8
    Last post: 29 Nov 2009, 10:46 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 06 Aug 2009, 2:26 PM
  3. University/college campus planning
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 18 Sep 2008, 2:11 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last post: 02 Aug 2005, 10:59 AM