Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: The Official "It's Too Quiet" Thread

Registered
    Jul 2003

The Official "It's Too Quiet" Thread

I saw some old episode of Night Court the other night. They were expecting a prankster to strike and Judge Stone was telling Mac to check everything. Mac would go ahead of him and say things like "It's quiet.....Toooo Quiet." This type of thing repeated a few times. That's how I feel about Cyburbia right now, what with so many people away for the weekend and for the APA conference.

So, just to start a new thread and try to get people talking, I thought I would start a thread just for us lonely souls left behind. Now we can all talk about how no one is talking.

Discuss.

Registered
    May 2004
    Well it is a saturday night also (plus it's like midnight over in the east). I just got back from having a few beers at a new Irish Pub that opened up in town - oddly enough the name of the place is my middle name so of course I had to stop in for a beer or so. Irish Pubs always seem to be much nicer than most other bars. In any case- like I said it's saturday night- you need to get out and have some fun girl.

I'm off to go have some more fun. Ta-da!

Registered
    Dec 2004
    Too quiet! Busy busting my backside finishing my master's research paper! Don't some of you remember that deer-in-the-headlights panic mode??!?
    Living and dreaming are two different things-but you can't do one without the other."
    -Malcolm Forbes

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    I kind of expected some slurring responses in tha APA thread or a laefest photo thread started this morning. Don't any of those geeks at the conference carry a laptop with them. Us geeks at home need to know whats going on.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Actually this thread fits in well with the new "Random Thoughts Thread" policy, which places similar ideas and thoughts into threads of their own. Over the past couple years there have been a number of "It sure is quiet tonight" comments on the Random Thread.

Quiet periods of use can be anytime, as exampled by the now-ongoing San Antonio laefest (with optional conference). Quiet periods can be for holidays and weekends because it appears that many Cyburbians walk the site's sidewalks just during working hours.

If I was a betting Bear I would place money on either Thanksgiving Day (USA) or Christmas Day as the quietest Cyburbia days. Maybe USA Independence Day, because of the warmer weather and obvious outdoor's events.
    _____

It is a quiet Sunday morning here in NW Ohio, too.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by savemattoon
    I kind of expected some slurring responses in tha APA thread or a laefest photo thread started this morning. Don't any of those geeks at the conference carry a laptop with them. Us geeks at home need to know whats going on.
    Checking the San Antonio Express-News Crime column -
    http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/crime/storyindex.html
    Apparently they have not caused anything worth reporting, like anything would.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Mar 2003
    SSHHHH!!!!

I am about to sneak out of town myself. The King and I are headed to KC to a GIS Conference. I intend to stir up a bit of trouble all on my own. San Antonio ain't got nothin on GIS Partying.
    The King and I met at a GIS conference. We have alot of friends that go. We are looking forward to a great week. We are staying in the Crown Center area, how nice. The King gets to go play while I am learning fun stuff.

Plus, this will be the first time we get away from the kids in 4 months. They are great but I sure do miss our alone time.

Then when we get back we get to close on our new house. We are so excited! It is going to be great!

You all have nice week. One more voice silent for a few days...
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner
    In any case- like I said it's saturday night- you need to get out and have some fun girl.
    Drinking is not my kind of fun. I would make jokes about what a "bore" I am, but no one ever gets them. Not sure if that is cuz folks just don't know me well enough to get the joke or if people just really find me boring.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Quote Originally posted by JNA
    Apparently they have not caused anything worth reporting, like anything would.
    I found this odd image and headline

National Site Defaced, Large Bird and Tuna Seen Fleeing

Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by donk
    I found this odd image and headline

National Site Defaced, Large Bird and Tuna Seen Fleeing
    But did they pee on it? That's good for getting you banned from the state of Texas. Just ask what's-iz-name...er, that rock star. You know, the guy who bit the head off the bat on stage too.

I need a memory upgrade.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    yea, carry a laptop. but! San Antonio seems to be void of free wifi. There's barely a starbucks in downtown.

boiker
    slacking on cyburbia even during a GIS workshop session
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by boiker
    boiker
    We are so proud of you!

Quote Originally posted by Michele Zone
    But did they pee on it? That's good for getting you banned from the state of Texas. Just ask what's-iz-name...er, that rock star. You know, the guy who bit the head off the bat on stage too.

I need a memory upgrade.
    That would be Ozzy Osbourne.

Yup, the site really is way too quiet when I have time to remember a name before someone else can supply it for me.
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 24 Apr 2006 at 10:25 AM.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Like many planners, I've got all my conference badges and pins from years past, although not in one place. I'll be wearing my 2003 Denver conference badge tomorrow at work as a protest against The Man (no, not the PD, but those above him on the food chain), who turned down my budget request for conference registration and expenses.

I turned down the consolation prize of attending the state conference. Sorry, but I've had my fill of Powerpoint presentations on conservation development and other 30-year old concepts that have just made it to this state.

Working on the yard this weekend. Everthing just budded and came into bloom last week, including the weeds.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    I'm not attending the APA conference, or probably any other conference, this year. Someone has to stay behind and get some work done.

I would have liked to do some work in my yard this weekend, but we had nonstop rain. Even the dog didn't want to go outside. As a result I spent a lot more time on the computer than usual.

Mtn Woman, I feel your pain...

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Dan
    I turned down the consolation prize of attending the state conference. Sorry, but I've had my fill of Powerpoint presentations on conservation development and other 30-year old concepts that have just made it to this state.
    State conferences aren't so bad in Florida. Routinely they are booked somewhere on the beach. Key West about five years ago comes to mind. This year it is Marco Island. Not too shabby. Hidden benefits of working in Planning in Florida.
    You darn tootin', I like fig newtons!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Dan
    Working on the yard this weekend. Everthing just budded and came into bloom last week, including the weeds.
    Same here. Grass was so tall, I had to cut it three times. Also tilled and planted the garden. 12 tomato plants, 6 pepper plants, brocoli, cauliflour, beans, and asparagus. I have about 40 square feet left to fill up next weekend.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    I'm left behind too - I wasn't sure I could go with budget overspending that I have done with my comp plan and I can't leave my office right now because of some undermining issues I have going - I'm actually okay about it, which I didn't think I would be

off to read my book club book - the glass castle (oops, wrong thread, sorry)

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by boiker
    yea, carry a laptop. but! San Antonio seems to be void of free wifi. There's barely a starbucks in downtown.

boiker
    The WiFi is a work in progress in San Antonio, expected for completion Fall 2007. They got started on the city-wide WiFI in downtown about 6 months ago, but had to redo a bunch of stuff after problems with repeaters (let's hear it for low bids, everyone).

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Neither RJ or I had a laptop to bring or we could have been reporting! We went by the "cyber cafe" at the convention center and it was full of other planning geeks with a long wait line. But we did cruise around behind them to see if anyone was on Cyburbia. Nope.

Registered
    Feb 2004

Garden Report

Same here. Grass was so tall, I had to cut it three times. Also tilled and planted the garden. 12 tomato plants, 6 pepper plants, brocoli, cauliflour, beans, and asparagus. I have about 40 square feet left to fill up next weekend.
    Oooooo garden report time already? Well I planted my 64 onions a few weeks back and they're about 6 in. high already. Planted 6 cabbage - unfortunately 4 of them croaked. Planted 9 spinach and 5 have come up so far. Planted 8 lettuce - all of them croaked. Planted 40 peas - so far 14 of them sprang up in the last 2 days. Inside I've still got 4 pepper plants, 7 tomato (2 sweet 100 and 5 Early Girl hybrid), and a variety of spices going. This weekend I will plant 16 carrots and 16 radishes (and probably replace some of the plants that died with transplants from local greenhouses. The last frost date for this part of MI is around May 15 and then I'll plant my indoor transplants plus I'll direct seed the corn (26), squash (2 spaghetti), beans (32 pole and 18 bush), cucumber (2), New Zealand spinach (1), and pumpkin (1)
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    Oooooo garden report time already? Well I planted my 64 onions a few weeks back and they're about 6 in. high already. Planted 6 cabbage - unfortunately 4 of them croaked. Planted 9 spinach and 5 have come up so far. Planted 8 lettuce - all of them croaked. Planted 40 peas - so far 14 of them sprang up in the last 2 days. Inside I've still got 4 pepper plants, 7 tomato (2 sweet 100 and 5 Early Girl hybrid), and a variety of spices going. This weekend I will plant 16 carrots and 16 radishes (and probably replace some of the plants that died with transplants from local greenhouses. The last frost date for this part of MI is around May 15 and then I'll plant my indoor transplants plus I'll direct seed the corn (26), squash (2 spaghetti), beans (32 pole and 18 bush), cucumber (2), New Zealand spinach (1), and pumpkin (1)

Time for the official 2006 garden thread! Pictures, process, and produce!
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    May 2004
    The Friday afternoon club seems to be awfully quiet on friday afternoons.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    It's also very quiet on Saturday mornings, oh say, around 6:22 eastern time.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake
    It's also very quiet on Saturday mornings, oh say, around 6:22 eastern time.
    or Saturday nights- at around 9.15pm Australian Eastern Standard time- actually come to think of it, its always this quiet at this time of night here.

hmm i need to get myself a life....or DVD's or some uni work....
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 6
    Last post: 17 May 2011, 2:02 PM
  2. Official Cyburbia "Heroes" Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 44
    Last post: 26 Nov 2007, 10:12 AM
  3. The "official" Holiday Season
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 22
    Last post: 05 Nov 2004, 2:04 AM